It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Define your deity!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
My God is Jesus Christ that is it.

Ok...define Jesus Christ. When was he born? Where was he born? What is his ancestry?

As for saying atheist do not have a deity; well they do it is their self as they believe they are the ultimate authority in their lives.

Really? Last time I checked I held the government and society as authorities over myself. You're thinking of hedonists.

Deciding what is right and wrong based upon popular belief and what feels good.

Actually, I determine what's right or wrong based upon empathy and what I'd prefer to not happen to myself.

Not believing that what they do releases a spirit upon others that may cause others to do the ill acts against God also.

Releases a spirit? What is this, the Middle Ages?

Some may believe in a spiritually but not that of God's.

This would also describe any religious person who disagrees with you. But you are right, atheistic doesn't mean a-spiritualistic. I happen to be both.

Not realizing that we are the only beings able to control all the other organisms and elements on this planet as stated In the Bible thousands of years ago.

All of the organisms? We can't control influenza perfectly, we can't control ebola at all, hell we can't even control the common cold! And define "elements" please...actually, don't. You have enough to define.

Honestly, the only part of this thread that's on topic is that first snippet.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You cannot define the Abrahamic deity as 'love' for many, many, reasons.

Your list does not contain a reference to the Abrahamic deity.

I was under the impression that this thread was an invitation to define our deity, irrespective of our religious belief. If the question is confined to the Christian faith, then I am in the wrong place.

And consciousness is a known product of matter, not an independent construct.

To date, there isn't even a consensus among scientists or philosophers on the definition of consciousness, let alone the origin of consciousness.

All the same, I still put it out there as a definition of a deity, where Consciousness refers to the "ground" of consciousness without content, and Love refers to love without object.

We have yet to see consciousness exist separate of matter...

So? If science hasn't "seen" consciousness exist separate from matter, that hardly invalidates my definition of a deity.

Science is also mute on the subject of unconditional love. So what?

And knowing the play start to finish would still prevent an omniscient being from having free will. A being without free will is still a being that is not omnipotent.

Let me try and explain with an analogy, bearing in mind that analogies have their obvious limitations.

Imagine a brilliant movie producer who has also written and directed his own epic movie. The movie, called "The Creation", is so amazing that it wins every oscar in each category applicable to the movie. Every actor plays their part to perfection, and the ending leaves no question unanswered.

The movie producer/director/writer had absolute free will throughout the production of the movie to do whatever he wanted, and once it was finished, he was satisfied that it was exactly what he willed it to be.

Naturally, the movie producer knows the movie from start to finish, but knowing how it will end has in no way diminished his free will in creating the ending.

However, during the production of the play itself, most of the actors had no knowledge of what would happen in the next scenes, it was a well-kept secret.

Anyway, I could go on at great length with the analogy and go into more detail, but my main point was to show that knowing the Play form start to finish does not restrict free will in the production of the Play.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Free will isn't a matter of perspective, it's a matter of fact. We either have it or we don't. Now, if we don't have it than we cannot be judged for our actions and sentenced to eternal punishment or reward. If we do have it then we can be...but then the deity is rendered as no longer being omniscient.

If I act according to what I will, if I own the intent and impetus of my actions, then I am also liable for the consequences of those actions. (I believe our legal system also acknowledges these laws).

We cannot demand to be free to will, but relinquish the consequences. It is immaterial whether a deity already knows the outcome. If we do the crime, we do the time, so to speak.

By the way, I do not subscribe to the belief in eternal punishment, so you may need to take up that objection with a Christian.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I am God.

I created the universe around and me and without my current presence nothing would exist.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
(incidently, star to anyone whom places the deity I mentioned without using the google machine...also +10 nerd points)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0886cb3dc063.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 18-1-2011 by SaturnFX because: added Sune symbol

The one and only Goddess, Mother Earth, Gaia, Diana, Aphrodite, Aradia, Athena....She has then thousand names. she is our Mother in every way that a Mother can be...She is Sister, Daughter, Aunt, Grandmother.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join