It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Define your deity!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
There has been a lot of discussion regarding atheists (oddly enough coming mostly from theists against atheist)...well, I'm going to ask something of theists now.

Theists of all sort, please define your deity or deities. I didn't put the plural in the title because it just didn't sound as good. Why am I asking this? Well, I've been discussing the issue of theism and atheism for a long time now, yet I've not encountered a consistent definition of any deity.

If I don't participate in this thread for odd stretches it will probably be due to the crushing weight of exam period.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have no Deity, but I do belive in a high power just not sure who, what, or where it is. So mine would be a unknown lol

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm not a folower of any religion and do not find the supreme beings presented by the main large religions plausible. Not with all the contratictions... I do believe in the cause and effect however and can't accept the fact that life just happened... There has to be some conciousness behind all of this. If not, then prove me wrong.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
My Deity:

She looks absolutely georgous, and highly sensual. She gives birth to all things, from entire universes, to even thoughts.
She comes to earth (and other planets) to explore the feelings of touch and sensation. She can be seen as shallow during her visits, seemingly to be highly focused on physical pleasures, be it eating, fornication, adreneline sports, and other physical persuits...seemingly not very interested in intellectual ponderings much.

This is because she is immortal and timeless, so she delves in the temporary pleasures and persuits of many different universes.

She has given all sentient beings a afterlife, where they will be reborn in perfect health in the lush gardens and pleasure fields. Eternally being free, expressing love and affection openly. Beauty and sensuality is treasured most, where hate and ugly traits are washed away.

The commandments are easy to follow

1) Be beautiful in your interactions (not just physically)

2) Be pleasurable to others

3) Express love approprately

4) Be strong mentally and physically to the best of your ability

5) Love is the universal language

6) Progress knowledge, progress love

7) Work for something beautiful.

There you have it. the 7 holy rules of Goddess Sune

(if your going to have a deity, might as well make it a good one)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

When someone asks, "Do you believe in God"? I assume they mean the biblical God, who, as I understand it, is a coherent being, that designed and created the Universe and everything in it. Also:

the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe

Source

But if that's not what they mean, then I can't answer the question until they DEFINE what they mean by "God". Otherwise, it's like me asking, "Do you believe in "pistabulatary reintinition"? I'm going to have to define that for people to understand my question.

Originally posted by BetweenLines
There has to be some conciousness behind all of this. If not, then prove me wrong.

You have made the claim that there is a consciousness behind all of this. The burden of proof is not on those who doubt your claim, but on you, who makes the claim.

edit on 1/18/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
(incidently, star to anyone whom places the deity I mentioned without using the google machine...also +10 nerd points)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0886cb3dc063.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 18-1-2011 by SaturnFX because: added Sune symbol

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Ok your deity sounds awesome and I would like to know more about her!! Thanks for that I think it was actually one of the most inspirational reads I have had in a long time. It actually made me feel happy and glad that there is something out there for someone that can be as inspirational as that sounds. I was raised Catholic and I honestly can say that I never found the concept of God or Jesus to be all that inspirational. I know that is unusual and maybe it was just the way it was taught to me by the church but it just made me feel standoffish all through my youth.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804

Ok your deity sounds awesome and I would like to know more about her!! Thanks for that I think it was actually one of the most inspirational reads I have had in a long time. It actually made me feel happy and glad that there is something out there for someone that can be as inspirational as that sounds. I was raised Catholic and I honestly can say that I never found the concept of God or Jesus to be all that inspirational. I know that is unusual and maybe it was just the way it was taught to me by the church but it just made me feel standoffish all through my youth.

There are some old spiritual addages...your perception determines your reality.
Imagine if instead of yehweh, the wargod, Sune became the defacto deity...

A abhorrance to violence and war (it smashes beautiful things), working on the beautiful aspects of your mind and body (fitness and wit would be paramount), etc.

Again...if all deitys are fictional, yet society seems to need some sort of fictional motivation to work towards, why not choose a really good one.

You will in fact find many cermonies and even a history of Sune Firehair online...and so why not...seeking a religion, definately going to join one, but want a worthy deity to strive for...why not choose Sune..

Imagine how great the churches would be...every stone made with beauty and art in mind..
I would totally be religious if it was a valid religion...hell, I might do it anyhow..faith does fill a hole of comfort and ego...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Na, why should we, words just scramble things. How can you describe anything so important in words, let alone a useless language like english.

Its a useless question.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm surprised to see many Atheist and people of different faiths debate on their beliefs. Being Jewish I can't simply define G-d to someone who is not Jewish. I would have to teach them and help them understand the nature of G-d better then just the words show.
Chabad (G-d and Us) articles

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BetweenLines

I'm sorry, but that's not how reasoning works. The burden of proof is upon the positive claimant.

Why is it that D&D has better definitions than theology some times?

...I dabble. No Google needed, have a friend who is big into the stuff and sometimes calls my (redheaded) girlfriend by that name.

reply to post by andy1033

Originally posted by andy1033

Na, why should we, words just scramble things.

Because words are the only means we have to communicate things.

How can you describe anything so important in words,

It should supposedly be quite easy. I can explain incredibly complex and important things in words.

let alone a useless language like english.

Yes, the useless language that is actually very good about getting to the point with meanings, is very easy to learn (I should know, I teach it as a foreign language), and has clear grammatical structure.

English is far from a useless language. Esperanto, now that is a useless language.

Its a useless question.

No, it's quite the useful question. If you're claiming that a deity exists, I'd like to know exactly what you're talking about as to differentiate your claim from others.

reply to post by Sectumsempra

Care to simply post the relevant extracts with commentary?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I wouldn't mine to post my own comments. I just don't want to add to much text. The links are perfectly good enough to see my points on my belief. You can ask a question and I will answer with source and my POV.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

So let's see...

God is one...that doesn't tell me anything except that it isn't amongst many. This isn't descriptive of God...
...it created everything....
it's incorporeal...
...is neither male nor female...
is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent (more on those first two in a bit)...
...eternal...
...just and merciful...
...holy and perfect..
and our 'father' (though not male) and 'king' (though not male)...I'm guessing 'parent and monarch' would be slightly more accurate. I won't nitpick over bad wording.

So, your deity is omnipotent and omniscient?
This is inherently contradictory. If I am all knowing, then I know exactly what I will do in the future and I will be unable to change that action in the future because that would violate my omniscience, I wouldn't have seen what I'm changing until I changed it rather than ahead of time. This would make the being incapable of free will as it would be a slave to preordained action.

What is 'holy'?

And what is 'perfect'?

Before I proceed, what is your opinion of scripture? Is it perfect? Metaphorical? Somewhere in between? I'd just like to know because it's important before I continue the discussion.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoulTheists of all sort, please define your deity or deities. I didn't put the plural in the title because it just didn't sound as good. Why am I asking this? Well, I've been discussing the issue of theism and atheism for a long time now, yet I've not encountered a consistent definition of any deity.

Lol Long time no see old foe. I don't really see why you ask mad. You've been on this site for years now, and I means years. I know that you don't believe. ANd it does not matter when we say of our beliefs to you. So why do you ask when you WNT listen.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't see the point in making this into a debate. You have the free will to believe whatever you like in my view. Everything comes from G-d; Both good and evil. G-d gave humans the ability of free will and humans can chose to do good or bad in the world. Yes, G-d is all knowing, merciful and so forth. Like I mention everything comes from G-d. The mystery lies in why would G-d allow all this ungodly stuff in the world, murder, slavery, and other religions. Is that man has the ability of free will we can chose our own path to follow in life and live it. Good or bad, religious or not, get a job or become a bum.
Chabad articles for G-d
The Power of our free will
Human nature in Judaism
I have to admit I believe in evolution. I might not know everything but I believe G-d has used evolution as a way to show man how fragile our Eco system and planet are.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Why is it that D&D has better definitions than theology some times?

...I dabble. No Google needed, have a friend who is big into the stuff and sometimes calls my (redheaded) girlfriend by that name.

Heh, star and nerd points for you.

Well, D&D tries to create working fiction on both angles...they have critical thinking involved in creating their mythos and fits the world...along with the fact that you go in first off suspending disbelief (critical in any fantasy, be it forgotten realms religions or earth religions).

I haven't gamed in years...but still love the F.R. books

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

I do listen. I might not agree, but it's just good reason to actually hear what other people understand. Even if only for just a bit of understanding of each other.

I would, however, like to highlight that many other people are going to possibly struggle with themselves to define exactly what they believe in.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I'm not trying to make this into a debate, I'm trying to ask you how you reconcile the inherent contradiction in omniscience and omnipotence. Hell, you just claimed I have free will. How can I have free will if the omniscient being already knows what I'm going to do every second of my life before I'm born?

I'm pointing out that your ideas are contradictory, how is that debate?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

That is the mystery isn't it? Of course G-d knows all and G-d does know the best for us. Keep that in mind. In the past I have read that when we die G-d will show us our lives and what else we could of done if we followed his path. Remember that I'm Jewish so I do not believe in the Christian or Islamic views.
Life after death
Here is another great link for you to read.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Sectumsempra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

In my opinion scripture is no different the mythology. I mean honestly I have had people argue with me that this was found on ancient scrolls and that the same story has been told time and time again. Does this mean the story of Hercules was not told time and time again?

The thing that gets me the most is it would seem the Christian faith goes out of it's way to disprove as many things as they can as being false gods, legends, myths etc.

Druids, there is historical proof that they existed and was a practicing faith. The Catholic church came along declared them pagans, and tried to drive them out.

Buddhists - They aren't even really talked about much but there religion is basically considered fake and wrong.

Muslims - Well you can look today and see persecurtion of this religion and honestly the Koran is almost identical in stories as the bible.

Greek and Roman Mythology is written off readily as nothing but stories and legends told around a camp fire or before bed.

Egyptian gods pretty much the same as the above.

Here is the interesting thing. I am pretty sure all the stories and scriptures about Buddha and the other above referenced are from ancient scrolls or stories past down from generation to generation. So if Greek Mythology and the others are nothing more then myths and lies. How does the same precedent not apply to the Christian faith? Just because a man named Jesus existed doesn't mean that a man named Hercules didn't exist as well. I am sure that Achilles was a real person (granted he may not have been a half god).

So answer the above question I would say that my view of the scripture is that it is no different then any other legend or story from the olden days. This does not mean that there isn't a god/s it just means I don't know what I believe. I do believe that someone or something created the universe. I am not all that big on the fact that our planet just so happened to be the only planet in our galaxie that spawned life, but I am sure there are other lifeforms out there as well.

I have often heard my Christian friends claim that god only created this one planet for life and nothing else. The only thing that I can think to return to them is simple. Why would someone as powerful as god just create life on one planet in the entire universe. It makes no sense what-so-ever.

Alright I got on a rant lol, gonna wrap it up now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join