It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Concedes Nothing Without Demand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
On this day, and with all due respect to Dr. King, I thought it appropriate to celebrate not just Martin Luther King, but another great man as well, and to examine this mans words and life, and his profound importance to this nation, for today it should be clear that there is no day we call Frederick Douglas Day:

If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without demand. It never did and it never will

***Frederick Douglas***

Frederick Douglas believed in the equality of all people, and the universal rights of all people.

I make no pretension to patriotism. So long as my voice can be heard on this or the other side of the Atlantic, I will hold up America to the lightning scorn of moral indignation. In doing this, I shall feel myself discharging the duty of a true patriot; for he is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins. It is righteousness that exalteth a nation while sin is a reproach to any people.

A remark such as the two quoted above would today put him on a no fly list, and he would be prominently featured by The Southern Poverty Law Center and The Anti Defamation League as an extremist worthy of being singled out for ridicule and scorn. Of course, Martin Luther King was investigated and harassed by the FBI for his message as well. Here we are today at a crucial time in American history, where the status quo is intent on "teaching" us that we are the "freest nation in the world" while we imprison more people than any other industrialized nation in the world.

What meaning does a day set aside to commemorate a man who had a dream have when we continue to argue with each other about the unalienable rights of people? What meaning does any day have when so many are so intent on dismissing those rights, and the people who would speak up for them as "hypocrites", and "big brave talking 'don't tread on me' Americans" that are relegated as simple jokes, or shills for the "tea baggers"? Just what meaning does this day have?
edit on 17-1-2011 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Great thread S&F.
You make a lot of good points there about what meaning this day has, I don't know. Not everyone's asleep, some of us are awake, thats gotta count for something.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Demand can come in many forms, fail to maintain your car and it dies a lot quicker. Fail to regulate the electricity flowing through your house and things blow up. Demand is not just in the direct negotiations for a fair deal, it is also in the repercussions of a bad one.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Hi JPZ

Hope you are well in the new year.

I don't think The Reverend MLK minds sharing a day with Frederick Douglass. F&S

Here is a link to 3 speeches.

Frederick Douglass

Best regards

Ziggy

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
JPZ, I have read quite a lot about Frederick Douglass.
"I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress."

Now, the Republican party has strayed from the path of freedom. I think the Tea Party has attempted to reorient the party, but we shall see if the new members are able to uproot the problems within the party.

I am always optimistic. I am of course an # and I will always be an # but that does not mean that I do not love my fellow man. It just means I know that sloth is the worst of the worst in the sins of man, IMO. Why do for oneself what one can take from another with no consequence. This is what our government has fomented in the minds of many. That we are due something, just because we are Americans. This attitude is the not the mindset that those like Frederick Douglass envisioned for our country, IMO.

Anyway, I will defend those that disagree with me with my blood and life if necessary, as long as they fervently believe the same. That truth, even in it's most bleak, is the path to take. Though truth be it the most stark and fervent of fables, be the only path to create the endeavor that we hold to be precious. If we stray from the truth, lo be the minds of men and their souls will reap what they sow.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

Hello Ziggy!

It was a genuine pleasure to see your post. I have wondered about you and how you are. Thank you for posting the links to those speeches.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Thank for your comments, Brother. Your genuine efforts toward the freedom of all is always more than greatly appreciated. Perhaps, someday, a day will be just a day. A day we take for granted because it is a day where humanity is free from tyranny, and free to pursue life, liberty, property, and happiness without any undue suppression. A day where freedom is not even noticeable, for the reality of justice is that it is never noticeable until there is an absence of it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

What meaning does a day set aside to commemorate a man who had a dream have when we continue to argue with each other about the unalienable rights of people?

None as we continue to separate the individual from the ideas and ideals of such rights. The concept of Man, as an individual is a slowly dieing and deeply misunderstood concept. The concept that Man, as society has come of age. Just as all things in the world, a balance must always be struck. When the pendulum swings far out of equilibrium, correction will inevitable occur.

An individual has a much better chance at evolving to the forces of external conflicts. We adapt wonderfully at the individual level. Each of us examining the great words of people such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or Fredrick Douglas can have a far deeper understanding than the society as a whole does.

Contemplating thought: How many people took either of their words and reflected inside only to be ultimately eaten up by societal pressures to maintain a certain facade?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Have you ever gone back and read the Grumpy thread. Oh what a walk amongst righteous thought and humor. I to this day think that thread was one of those times that we set aside differences and reveled in the purity of emotion.

If only we as a species could just revel in the demand of nothing, but relevance. If we could only ask that thought was as precious as a dollar from the Federal Reserve. If only...........

Keep spreading your knowledge, for I am just a puddle amongst the storm of your verbiage.
edit on 18-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this philosophical truth to the front. It will be a certain source of bright fire and fuel to the bonfires needed in the reclaiming of our stolen heritage and birthright. We need all the fuel we can find, at this late hour. The passages you presented are fine in content, and should endure like a large seasoned log, at the center of the fire.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Jean Paul,

It was a real pleasure to see your thread, even more delightful to be in agreement with you and OBE on someone like Frederick Douglass. I miss your indefatigable arguments, and frustrating wit. I'm nurturing my softer side, just cruising along reading the leaves.

Don't know if it's taboo? What happened to our friend with the penchant for large colorful fonts? As much as we argued I got accustomed to his rants. Hope he's ok. PM me if there is anything to say.

Wishing you all the best.

Ziggy

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Ziggy my brother,

Our friend is still with us, and has posted in this thread. He goes by a different name, but it is the same lovable grumpy old man. I will U2U you tomorrow when I get a chance.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

SHHHH! He's incognito...well maybe not. Ziggy long time no see! I hope all is well with you and that your New Year has started out in the direction of your choice.
edit on 19-1-2011 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Hi OBE,

I plead the 5th

Hope all is well with you and yours. Hope this is a better year than last for you, and all of us.

Best,

Ziggy

top topics

join