It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two of the most incredible weapons I've ever seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I wonder what kind of projectile it is firing. Reminds me of a laser-based weapon.

Scary Gun:

This gun is called a 'Area Denial Weapon System'.Made by a company called,appropratly,Metal Storm.Its ment to side-step the convention on mine use.It works by firing upto 6000 rounds per minuite at what ever it computer detects. Mmmmm....nice idea.Why do people think these things up?Scares the hell out of me.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Tracer ammunition

en.wikipedia.org...

Used alot in millitary exercises, looks cool to.. and in combat sometimes to show the rest of the group where to shoot, like a pointer
edit on 14-1-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

I wonder what kind of projectile it is firing. Reminds me of a laser-based weapon.

They are tracer rounds. The operator can see where the bullets are actually going to help aiming.

The Metal Storm system is an amazing, albeit frightening, advance in gun technology. It is the first major advance in firearms in a hundred years or so (think Maxim or Browning in the late 1800's early 1900's) that hasn't been just an incremental refinement of previous technology.

Although they do make pistols and rifles, they are so far impractical; the rounds are stored in line within the barrel. To 'change clips' requires swapping out the empty barrel for a full one.

Not a great idea, unless you are fighting an enemy that will allow you to call a 'time out' while you reload.
edit on 14-1-2011 by [davinci] because: Content

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The first gun was a mini gun made by general electric firing tracer rounds. I have heard and seen a lot about the Metal Storm. It was designed to sit unmanned and shoot when a target is in sight.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just think what mankind could do, if they focused away from weapons trying to solve real problems.

I imagine there is alot already behind the scenes in terms of techs, that are way beyond even our imagination to imagine.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I have no doubts about that. This video I had seen about 5 years ago, so imagine what kind of equipment exist today.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
S&F for posting a beautiful video of the M134 Minigun.

While the streams of tracers and their incendiary effects looks amazing it's very costly to do so since you need a few thousand dollars worth of ammunition to do this.

Ontop of that, automatic weapons are heavilly restricted in the US and i'm sure it's hard to convince the government that shooting from a helicopter is OK lol.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

Thanks, I was looking for the name of this machine.

here is the link:

Link

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Here is a little gem from South Korea. This robotic machine gun sentry isn't as scary, when it is firing, as the ADWS but it would still be scary to come face to face with this thing. I agree why do people make things like this, that will shoot without any question?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Have you heard about the Navy's record setting Railgun firing last month? Here's a link to the info. There's also a few youtube videos out there.

Link

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
For a second I thought it was a suped up MK44. But yeah some pretty interesting weapons are starting to be implemented. From Unmaned stealth fighters, to supersonic cruise missiles. Really cool oh here's a link to Future weapons for all those interested. military.discovery.com... Season Three features the MK44.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO

I have no doubts about that. This video I had seen about 5 years ago, so imagine what kind of equipment exist today.

I remember the idea was to make them modular for mounting in bays in aircraft. With a firing rate of a million rounds of 20mm a minute. Talk about steel rain.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Perhaps, but from the looks of it, there's no gun or ammunition in these videos that was invented after the 1960s.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Actually the first one is an M134 Dillion Aero.
www.dillonaero.com...

Here is a photo of a M134D Remote Guided Weapon System

edit on 26-1-2011 by mwc273 because: Add Remote Link

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mwc273

When I was stationed at Osan, AB in South Korea in 2000, the South Korean military had about half a dozen pre-positioned 20mm ground-based gatling guns (though I believe they were the manned variety).

Imagine having that kind of weapons platform with railgun technology that could fire even larger projectiles at supersonic speeds.

Alot of stuff is being developed that doesn't get much press, if any, and for good reason.

MLRS technology now has GPS guided rocket capability. Cannons are already developed that automatically re-load themselves and can be computer-operated. Artillery technology is now developed and tested that is GPS guided. This is only the stuff we know about too. (I do watch futureweapons!)

The more unmanned technology we can develop, the less we put our soldiers in danger.

Training technology that has been developed under various government contracts over the years is staggering alone. We now have the capability to, quite literally, put soldiers in a tank or hum-v and have a 360 degree virtual battlefield to train in that is so life-like it's scary. Soldiers can be put into various battlefield scenarios with a few clicks on a computer. They can even make the weapons pneumatically operated to simulate the actual sound of the weapon being discharged.

The only problem I see with electrically initiated projectiles (the second video) is that the system still requires reloading regardless of its rate of fire. As far as being used as an automated sentry platform, I could maybe see that being more feasible. However, we already have this kind of automated sentry technology that packs much more of a whallop.

I once saw a weapons platform that is essentially the size of a large refrigerator. The last I heard It was still being developed, but it can fire anti-tank missiles once it knows a target is within range. It is both an unmanned computer and a launcher. Satellite, air, or ground-based reconnaisance can provide the system with information like size, speed and direction of the target. It can be strategically placed on the battlefield via helicopter and it doesnt' have to be manned. That's a pretty amazing marriage of concept between a proven weapon and today's technology.

-ChriS

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
As mentioned before... the first video is a M134 minigun. They fire a standard 7.62mm round. There are several different configurations but the ones we had fired at 2 speeds... aprox 2000 and 4000 rounds a minute. It looks like that when firing because of the tracer rounds. It is an incredible weapon and will turn a person into ground beef in a matter of seconds.

new topics

top topics

join