It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN says Lucid Dreaming can be dangerous...?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I do not have a link atm of what it said on cnn (on tv), but they think that Jared Loughner (not going to add anything else) probably thought he was lucid dreaming when he wasn't. They constantly think lucid dreaming is exactly like inception, and says it is very dangerous.

Things they pointed out: It can make you lose your grip of reality.
You do not know if you are dreaming.
It is very dangerous.
Your own alternative reality.

They pointed out that Jared liked his dream world better than real life as well.

Could Inception be the first propaganda video to fight against lucid dreaming, and using the recent events as a scapegoat to do this, or is my Tinfoil hat on too tight?
edit on 1/13/2011 by Shoomoo because: none

edit on 1/13/2011 by Shoomoo because: None

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Yeah, and I'm sure that they have lots and lots of staff over there at CNN that are experts in Lucid Dreaming.

Sooner or later, folks are gonna wake up to the notion that these people are truly government shills.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
when i awake i am instantly complely aware of where i am, this morning i saw a spiral vortex type thing spinning like water going down a drain in the direction i was facing in my sleep.as soon as i opened my eyes i could see it and as soon as i go crap whats that it went away. i believe that was the gateway of me returning from my dream back into my body

i can also remember nearly every part of my dream. the places i go are normally always existing places from my waking reality.

anyone else have similar experiences?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

It's a no brainer that people are waking up. Problem is it isn't fast enough.

I wanted to try lucid dreaming before this happened to, and i still do, but can't.

I hope they are not trying to "ban" lucid dreaming (I.E. making the conforming masses frown on dreamers.)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
How can it help you lose your grip on reality when lucid dreaming is defined as you knowing you are dreaming? If anything, it seems like the logical assumption is that it would help you gain a better grasp on reality.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Wow, Well you Do not only have to "Lucid Dream" To open your Pineal Gland.

You Can Take '___' Which has the Exact same Affect.
I found this Video a While Back Joe Rogan Tends To Explain it Well.Joe Rogan On Dmt

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Why stop at Lucid Dreaming? CNN should have just gone all out and ran the article like so:

BREAKING NEWS: Waking Up in the Morning Can Be Dangerous!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

I could not agree more. If anything this would have made Jared more saner (if thats possible
) then how bad he could have been insane.

edit on 1/13/2011 by Shoomoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

believe it or not man, they have stuff that stupid on their site as well, like
"BREAKING NEWS HEALTH: ALCOHOL IS DANGEROUS IN HIGH QUANTITIES!"

They even had an article once that said our site in a jared loughner article, which I am GLAD they did not put us in a bad light.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
questcequecest, I see the vortex thing too, mostly as I am going into a dream though. I think it is probably the rods and cones inside the eyes firing off or something. I've found that when I go to sleep at night and just relax, I start seeing blackness, but in the blackness I start seeing this little light darting around. If I concentrate on just that, I can make it spin around. If I keep concentrating on it, it spins faster and faster. It helps me go into a dream. I don't know how to describe it, but it works for me.

I lucid dream, but I never lucid dream about normal stuff like just going about my normal routine.
Mostly my dreams are weird enough that I know I am dreaming. I dream about places that used to exist and don't exist any more, such as a child hood home that burned down or an old highschool that was torn down. I dream about places I haven't been in to in years or places I never go. So those are just triggers that let me know it is a dream.

I have never had a time when I was really awake but thought I was dreaming. I have never had a time when I did something stupid in real life and thought I was dreaming. I'd be mortified if that ever happened.
My dreams feel so much different from real life that I can just tell.

But I guess that lucid dreaming could get dangerous if someone was contemplating killing someone and started doing that repeatedly in a lucid dream.

But I figure even Jared knew he was awake. I don't buy it that he thought it was all a dream. I think he planned it. Yeah, he probably did lucid dream about doing it maybe. Maybe that even helped him make his plans. Maybe he started to feel invincible. But I don't think he really believed he was dreaming at the time.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessieg

But I figure even Jared knew he was awake. I don't buy it that he thought it was all a dream. I think he planned it. Yeah, he probably did lucid dream about doing it maybe. Maybe that even helped him make his plans. Maybe he started to feel invincible. But I don't think he really believed he was dreaming at the time.

I thought he would be awake too. I think a dream world would be too unreal for someone to mistaken it to be real.
I mean if he shot multiple times after the congresswoman got shot and had to reload, he knew he was not dreaming.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoomoo
They pointed out that Jared liked his dream world better than real life as well.

Can't say I ever blame him after reading news articles everyday.

It doesn't surprise me that they'll demonize lucid dreaming because:

1) They don't understand it, and people typically hate what they don't understand.
or
2) There really is a conspiracy to keep the masses stupid, unaware and in control.

Opening people's minds to ideas of reality, perception and consciousness scares those who can't understand or can't afford it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The point is, that when you first start the “lucid dreaming” stuff, you know that dream world is a figment of your imagination that only exist inside your head.
But…… If you stay in that dream world long enough then that dividing line can be blurred. Your little imaginary friends can slowly whittle away at your belief that they are just figments of your imagination. When you become emotionally attached to them, then you can start doubting yourself, as to which world is real and which isn’t. After a few hits of your preferred drug, and some messed up memories, then the world inside your head is the real world, and this world is just one of your nightmares

It doesn’t happen all at once, it takes a long progression to reach the flipping point. I have heard about other people that have had their dream world become their walking reality, so JL isn’t the first that has had that happen to them.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I do not have a link atm of what it said on cnn (on tv), but they think that Jared Loughner (not going to add anything else) probably thought he was lucid dreaming when he wasn't. They constantly think lucid dreaming is exactly like inception, and says it is very dangerous.

It can make you lose your grip of reality.

no way, because you do "Reality Checks" Which point to what is real and what is dream, like pinching yourself, this is usually done in both real life and dream, if you don't feel it you are dreaming simple as that!!!

The whole precept of lucid dreaming IS KNOWING WHEN YOU ARE DREAMING!!!! SHEESH!

It is very dangerous.

This is just ludicrous, these people on CNN smoking crack lately????

Your own alternative reality.

You'd still realize it was a "dreamscape".

I never heard of such a retarded report. I guess dumbing down has reached the media reporters, wait oh nevermind, they were always just dumb puppets anyway, oh yeah, that's right!

edit on 13-1-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

You can blame em for murder
You can blame em for insanity

You cannot blame him for being a dreamer

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

So CNN is claiming that lucid dreaming is actually not some pseudo scientific BS. oooooooo beware of dreams they may come true. And now isn't that what being a schizophrenic is not being able to distinguish what's the real world and what is the world that you created in your head? so they are linking lucid dreaming to schizophrenia in a roundabout way. Interesting don't you think?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I love my dream world better than real life. But that is only because it is very peaceful there most of the time. Sometimes I have nightmares, but I am learning to speak to my dream characters rather than running away from them. I always feel like they tell me profound stuff, but I never remember much of it in the morning.

Sometimes people in my dream actually sing instead of speaking or speak in strange riddles. Anyway, it is very much different from real life. Sometimes I hear bits of music in my dreams that is so beautiful, but I can never remember much of it when I wake up.

I have no desire to kill anyone. If I had my way, I'd be a healer and close all the hospitals and nursing homes.
I'd heal everyone of all races and beliefs. I'd heal animals and even plants if I could. I'd like to make the world a paradise, but I can't. But I can dream about it at least.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

The whole precept of lucid dreaming IS KNOWING WHEN YOU ARE DREAMING!!!! SHEESH!

I agree with you... I think people are confusing the difference between normal dreaming and lucid dreaming.

Normal dreaming is when you can't tell the difference between reality and dreaming, and things are just happening uncontrollably.

Lucid dreaming is when you know you are dreaming, and because of that, you can control your dreams with your mind. You can't even begin to lucid dream unless you know you are dreaming. One way to know you are dreaming is to notice something in your dream that is not possible in reality.

So, I can't even begin to see why anyone would think lucid dreaming is dangerous... If anything, lucid dreaming is therapeutic.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

reply to post by MMPI2

It's a no brainer that people are waking up. Problem is it isn't fast enough.

I wanted to try lucid dreaming before this happened to, and i still do, but can't.

I hope they are not trying to "ban" lucid dreaming (I.E. making the conforming masses frown on dreamers.)

Keep a dream journal near your bed and write your dreams down as soon as you have them. When you do this write them down as if you're still having the dream, i.e. 'I am in the house', instead of 'I was in the house'. It helps you remember better. Also, periodically throughout the day ask yourself if you're awake or asleep. Doing this you train yourself to do the same thing in your dreams. It works. I periodically slip into a lucid dream. Sometimes, I'll have a dream where I realize I'm dreaming and wake up. That happens a lot for me.

Anyway, don't stress yourself over it. Just relax and try not to think about dreaming too much. I find that being in a relaxed state before going to bed helps. You could try waking up for a few minutes in the morning and then go back to sleep also. That works very well.

Anything dealing with "alternative" thought is bad/scary to everyday people. They are too busy thinking about their cell phones, flat screen tv's, and other junk.
edit on 1/14/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy

Originally posted by ldyserenity

I agree with you... I think people are confusing the difference between normal dreaming and lucid dreaming.

Normal dreaming is when you can't tell the difference between reality and dreaming, and things are just happening uncontrollably.

Lucid dreaming is when you know you are dreaming, and because of that, you can control your dreams with your mind. You can't even begin to lucid dream unless you know you are dreaming. One way to know you are dreaming is to notice something in your dream that is not possible in reality.

So, I can't even begin to see why anyone would think lucid dreaming is dangerous... If anything, lucid dreaming is therapeutic.

haha. Your post reminded me of dream I had recently and made me laugh. Six opossums were chasing me and one started talking. Both the opossums and the talking helped me realize I was dreaming.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join