It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

January 13, 2011 There will be 10 kilowatt nickel hydrogen cold fusion demonstration on January 15

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

January 13, 2011 There will be 10 kilowatt nickel hydrogen cold fusion demonstration on January 15 in Italy and peer reviewed papers

www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com

Saturday january 15th Sergio Focardi and Andrea Rossi will make a press conference online about the presentation of the 10 kW module reactor: with 100 of such modules is made the 1 MW plant in construction.
The press conference will start at 10 a.m. Italian Time.
To put questions, you will have to send your inquiry as a comment to our blog, you will receive the answer in real time online.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
nextbigfuture.com

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I wasn't really able to get much detail about this from this particular site. I found the original link to the story on nextbigfuture.com. If this is true it would be earth shatteringly big news. At the moment I can't find any other links to the story.

I remember reading up about bubble cold fusion reactors a few years ago, but this doesn't seem to be related. It appears that the fusion reaction in this instance is more or less a chemical reaction occurring at the right temperatures.

I just hope this doesn't become a flop or a hoax.

www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is exciting. Its always good to see alternate energy ideas being thrown out there. Im hoping this gets a decent amount of coverage.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

Thank you for posting.
What is cold fusion, or better yet, what would be the pros and cons.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Damn I hope so! We need a breakthrough in energy right now. The tokamaks and such don't seem be yielding very promising results.

The only thing is that the energy-plus results of the original experiments seem to have never been replicated since.

But still, a paradigm shift might be just what we need to look for.

Fingers crossed on this one.

Starred and Flagged OP!
edit on 13-1-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: S&F

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Cold Fusion is the creation of a nuclear reaction which produces vastly less heat, and wastes.
It is the dream of every physicist, and it is right around the corner if the different attempts world wide to produce it are successful.
Several avenues of approach have been proposed and research is ongoing.
The stage at which we are currently persuing cold fusion, seems premature to have such a demmo just yet.
Though i am no expert, it has been said it is a few years away .
If the Italians have broken through, it will be a major earthshattering news flash!
The normal use of atomic energy will bring about a pollution situaation that will last for millions of years,if they keep proliferating power station reactors.
The ones we have now, are time bombs waiting to explode.
Their getting old and will have reached their age of usefullness soon.
What then?will we be able to clean up the ones we decommission?This is highly doubtful.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplereiki

Thank you for posting.
What is cold fusion, or better yet, what would be the pros and cons.

Try this:

lmgtfy.com...

edit on 13/1/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In an interview before he died, Arthur C Clarke stated very plainly that Cold Fusion was the most important area of research in the world at that time.

For those who don't know him beyond his SciFi writtings; ACC was a major contributor towards the development of the first telecommunications satellite and the discoverer of geosynchronous orbit, also sometimes refered to as 'the Clarke orbit'.

It's funny, none of the big universities that receive BILLIONS of dollars of research grants into hot fusion were ever able to reproduce the original experiment that made headlines years ago. Even funnier, dozens of smaller, unfunded schools were able to reproduce it.

In every case though, the big school's failure was cited as evidence that the small schools were wrong.

Fraud, hoax, or the number one threat to the status quo in the world today?

Look to the current stock prices of the oil companies to find your answer, better yet, take a look at thier profit statements from last year.

ETA...

Tesla was on the verge of giving us free energy a century ago, however his prime backer, Rockafeller/Standard Oil, put an end to his work before he was able to finish. Once it was discovered what he was really up to (that it wasn't an improved radio) he was marginalized.

Now that the world is hopelessly addicted to oil and the money involved is staggeringly larger, is there any doubt any advances in power are discreditted?
edit on 13-1-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Here's the 'run-down' on Cold Fusion for those in the dark:

Cold fusion, also known as:
Low-energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR) and
Chemically Assisted Nuclear Reaction/ Effect (CANR)

is a process, nuclear in nature, perhaps not a reaction, but a nuclear effect,
which creates excess energy, at a temperature much lower than the required
millions of degrees required for hot fusion. (regular fusion)

hot fusion is extremely expensive. we know it works, just look up at the sun.
However, reactors are costly, large, and are very difficult to extract ANY energy from,
let alone at least to break even. And they may be dangerous if uncontrolled.
(but are safe from chernobyl-like disasters)

Cold fusion uses Deuterium, a hydrogen isotope.
Cold fusion lets off heat, but does not create a runaway thermal effect (so far as we know).
Deuterium fuel is cheap and abundant. Case in point:
there is enough deuterium in the earth's oceans to last us hundreds of thousands of years.
Tritium is another fuel used in hot fusion, but in much smaller quantities, also in sea water.

Most cold fusion experiments, including the first one, use a cathode in deuterium oxide - heavy water
like water, but 10% heavier due to the added neutron of deuterium.
the cathode is usually palladium.

Why palladium? Because experimenters thought palladium's ability to store hydrogen (and
deuterium, by default, as it is an isotope) would 'squeeze' atoms of deuterium through palladium
lattice of atoms, and they would get so close that they fuse together, letting off heat, some minor
non-harmful radiation, and a helium 4 (i believe?) atom.
Cold fusion reactors are often easy to build. It's the measuring equipment for tests that are expensive.

now, experimenters have realised how to perform it more reliably, and the reason fusion works is not
because of the palladium specifically, but certain metals, like palladium and nickel, which, when their surface
is excited by lasers and/or radiation, start to create 'pockets' of superconductivity. Apparently, these are regions where cold fusion may occur. I'm no expert! but this is what i've heard experts say, so...

Anyways, cold fusion has almost no cons. Imagine: anyone with physics knowledge, some electronics experience and a good DIY mindest, could theoretically build a small reactor at home with simple materials, powered by a substance taken from seawater (difficult part!) you could use it in cars, planes, homes, desalination, irrigation, portable generators, or ipods that need recharging every 10 years, provided apple doesn't make you buy their latest model by then

Basically, that's it.

EDIT:

Check out LENR-CANR for information on where cold fusion is today. there is also a 'layman's terms' guide which spells out what a cold fusion future would be like. In addition, i wanted to point out that while cold fusion and sonofusion (bubble fusion) both occur at room temperature, they do not perform the same. Sonofusion is actually like a small scale version of hot fusion, as it reaches high temperatures in a small area.
edit on 13-1-2011 by Conspiritron9000 because: Missed Important Information

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This technology uses hydrogen, not deuterium, and nickel, not palladium.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Sooo, did it work...
Jan 14 is here....

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Cold fusion's been around for ages, it's just been suppressed and rubbished by TPTB and their minion class of bought and paid for professional scientists

This video's a bit long (1hr 8 mins) but worth the watch if you have the time titled "War on Cold Fusion - The Hidden Truth Exposed" - www.youtube.com...

This is a great short video, all you need is a conventional spark plug and plain old water. It's as low tech as you can get - no science degree needed. www.youtube.com...

Edit to add : Just been reading about a UFO collecting water on another thread. Probably refuelling

All this flooding worldwide is probably our beloved Gaia's way of trying to get the message through our thick skulls about what a massively abundant energy source she's giving us. Hope those droplets hit skulls hard enough to penetrate

edit on 14-1-2011 by SpiritnSoul because: to add

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Update:

So from i found out, the experiment was a success!
This is the blog which is covering what's going on, it is in italian BTW:

CF Italian Blog

Here's what information came out, from what i understand:

- Device was successful. input was 600-700 W and output was around 7kW up to 10kW and even more.
- Device uses nickel powder. when asked if other materials could be used along with nickel, the inventor said yes, and it is actually better, seeing as nickel is expensive.
- Let off little to no radiation emitted, though at times it jumped to slightly higher gamma radiation levels (not enough to be harmful at all). This is good because it validates the effect.
- Inventor described it as a 'catalyst energy' rather than a reactor.
- mere picograms of nickel are consumed, it is stated that 1 OUNCE of nickel produces 1000, Billion kW! (over lifetime)

- Device is protected by industrial patent. apparently it will be 'unconstructable' by anyone with just general cold fusion knowledge. (though i doubt that, you should see what some inventive people like myself can do
)
- Ferrari is involved, they have had talks with the inventors at the conference.
- The material is not as important as the structure of the material, says the inventor (when looking at it under electron microscope).
- devices can be put in parallel or series, like batteries, to alter output.
- He says this device is just the 'Ford model T' (meaning it's crude right now) but we can get to ' formula 1' (meaning vastly imporved. sounds good.)

- Pictures, and i believe a video, will be posted tomorrow. this could end up being on the national news?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Sooo.... When can i buy one?
I need one yesterday.......

Ps: Ill take two....
edit on 15-1-2011 by Miccey because: add info

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

You may not be able to buy one for a few years. See the online Q and A at www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com... or you may be able to go directly to the comments at www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com... which also has links to low res video on youtube.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The inventor states that a reporter from the New york Times was there.
"PS Sorry, I forgot that there was also a reporter for the New York Times. "
translate.google.com...://22passi.blogspot.com/2011/01/bolognia-14111-cronaca-test-fusione_14.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3 D%2522focardi%2522%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Dqdr:w%26prmd%3Divns&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1

Maybe we will get something more.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Look for something in The New Scientist, also. Much of this will depend on who is satisfied with the story, first.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I just wanna know were, how much and when i can buy one.
Im pretty sure this device is the real deal. Now we need to
point our LAZY money/power hungry politians eyes towards
this. If this turns out positive we could scrap all the nuclear,
coal and other inviromentaly wrong gadgets and plants.
This might be the turning point ppl.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
I just wanna know were, how much and when i can buy one.
Im pretty sure this device is the real deal. Now we need to
point our LAZY money/power hungry politians eyes towards
this. If this turns out positive we could scrap all the nuclear,
coal and other inviromentaly wrong gadgets and plants.
This might be the turning point ppl.

Not yet priced or in production for retail. Conceivably, the consumer may never see it because of legal issues, i.e., Gomer Pickup has a few extra Budweisers and decides to see how it works. He hacksaws it open while it is running and irradiates himself, BillyBob, and StanleySue down at the local gin mill. The lawyers get involved and sue for billions. Liability insurance for the manufacturer alone will price these out of reach of the ordinary Joe. All the agencies that regulate consumer safety, power plants, etc. will also weigh in.
My guess is that these will spend some time in a semi-nuclear power plant mode while the details are worked out. The good news is that with a new heat source, we only have to replace fossil fired boilers. The entire back end of our power plants will stay as is. This is a great advantage over other technologies that will need capacitor banks, different power conditioning, new facilities, etc.
edit on 1/16/2011 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
mmm I'm calling B.S. on this one. Most likely the experiment was rigged otherwise they would have agreed to tlet them test in in a controlled environment chosen by other scientists.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join