It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 13, sacrifices his life to save brother in raging Australian floods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Boy, 13, sacrifices his life to save brother in raging Australian floods

www.dailymail.co.uk

A boy of 13 gave up his chance of being rescued from the floods so that his younger brother’s life could be saved.

Jordan Rice told rescuers to take his ten-year-old brother Blake and their mother Donna from their trapped car before going back for him.

His selfless act meant Blake was saved – but tragically, Jordan and his mother were swept away in the car and died.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
These are the things that make me sad...and far to often it doesn't get reported...and I dont mean things like this. I mean shootings...ect.

Well anyways at least somebody survived.

I guess all I can do is offer a quote here.

"Man could not live if he were entirely impervious to sadness. Many sorrows can be endured only by being embraced, and the pleasure taken in them naturally has a somewhat melancholy character."
- Emile Durkheim

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
What a sad story.
It is tragic really that the boy actully saved his brother's only to die along with his mother.I wish all of them made it out alive instead of just one.It is really is tragic how the floods can take away life's so quickly and so easily.It really is so heartbreaking that the boy who was saved will lose a mother and brother in the process. That's how tragic the floods can be.
edit on 12-1-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by keelan55

Honestly I'm close to tears on that one. It's just one of those things that make you sad.

I mean looking at the pictures is what got me. I think if the headline was all I saw I would have just went "Meh another disaster."

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is so very very sad. I really hate it when a child dies. Its just unfair. My heart is hurting for the people of Australia right now. So much devastation and hardly anyone cares. I hope the waters recede soon and they can start to rebuild their lives.

My love I send to all of you there. Be strong.

x x x

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Very tragic. This is a real wake up call for anyone who thinks that we do moral things merely because they make us feel good
So sorry for everyone who has lost people to these natural disasters that seem to be hitting us nonstop worldwide these days.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

I live state-side and I care...then again I could be one of the few.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I can see that you do but sadly it seems not enough people do (I know many who don't seem to care). They all just go "oh, what a shame" and carry on as if nothing happened. Because Australia is a 'developed' country it's almost like some people think they can cope with this level of natural destruction. Yes financially they are better off than Haiti or Pakistan etc but what about emotionally? They are no different inside.

I cried for the victims of Haiti, Pakistan, Chile etc and now I cry for Australia.
Maybe I just feel things too much?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I think if given pictures of the people who lost their lives in those places I would also.

It just get's to me. Thinking about how horrible that would be to go through...especially if it was my kids. (Or if I was the kid...or the Mom...)

Not that I have kids. I'm too young for that.
edit on 1/12/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
(Double Post. Stupid Page froze and then got weird.)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

He was certainly a very brave young man. It's something you can never understand I guess unless you've been there. I do have kids, two little girls, and it is a fear you have always that something like this could happen to you and them. I can only try to imagine what the poor mother felt.

Lets hope they get some relief soon.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Ain't love grand? He loved his bubba and his mum.

On the broader scale, I haven't been able to comment much on the flooding because I have a lot of love for Australia and it's peeps. And not just because Mick Dundee and the Crocodile Hunter were so cool.

I love em' because they are a fantastically creative and lively people that have the inner-potential to be a world power someday, but the inner-wisdom to not want to be. I'm really sad for them right now.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I agree 100% they need help and my family also sends their best wishes to everyone over there.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Once again in the end our children teach us more than we realize. This story is beyond sad, but shows us the most benevolent side of human nature.

I know of too many adults who would not have sacrificed even half of what this child did in order to save their own progeny.

My thoughts and prayers go to the family. We can all take a lesson from this.

No matter how bad we think our own situation is, it could always be worse.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

It is truly a sad thing. It's a cruel irony that mother nature pulled on Australia. They don't usually get rain and now they have floods.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I heard that the kid was deathly afraid of water. Yet he acted so selflessly, and heroic. What can you say? He did one of the finest things I've ever heard of, and he wasn't done growing yet.

I think the world's going to be a poorer place for not having this valiant young man in it anymore.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
And love lives on beneath the waves

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Wow. That's just terrible that the other boy didnt make it. But its amazing that at 13 years old, he had them save his brother instead. The boy must have been scared like no other and yet he still wanted his brother to be taken before him. This is the kind of things that should make it to the news.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I saw this on the way to work this morning. Strangely it made me smile, love above all things.

What happens to us as we age? I miss the integrity and innocence that children seem to display day in and day out.

I hope that his bro never forgets what a sacrifice he made and does something great with his life.
A real little hero in my opinion.

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

This is so sad. Respects to he and the mom for taking the loss to save another and I am sure they are acknowledged for their actions in the 3d on the other side... GOD BLESS ALL MEN AMEN

edit on 1/13/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join