It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress and dual Citizenship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Many congressmen and congresswomen are dual citizens, citizens of the US and citizens of Israel. Thats the only constellation I can think of. Are congressmen and women allowed to be citizen of the US and another country, or is Israel the only exception?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Not only Israel, any country.. The Constitution only requires that a person is at least 30 years old and has been a citizen for 9 years to run for Congress.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Also, did the British Citizenship of Barrack senior give Barrack Obama dual citizenship?

Just wondering.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Even if it did, the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship. They only care if one is a citizen if the US.
OUR laws matter here, not other country's laws.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well, I was just attempting to put forth a different scenario for the thread.

I think Obama was born in Hawaii. I was just putting forth a different scenario for the OP to consider.

If the OP is putting forth that people of dual citizenship should not be in our government, we need to look at whether someone with parents from both the US and a foreign country, should be allowed.

This WAS the purpose of the Natural Born citizenship issue.

Seeing that there is a Supreme Court decision that defines Natural Born citizenship, one would expect to find that we SHOULD follow the law.

Plus, I like to cause chaos.

edit on 10-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: fix some very bad sentence structure

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Even if it did, the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship. They only care if one is a citizen if the US.
OUR laws matter here, not other country's laws.

So in other words, as far as the USA is concerned, there are no dual citizens in American congress. It is just Israel which allows Israelis to be citizens of America and Israel. But as far as the usa is concerned all congressmen are American and only American. That about correct?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
So in other words, as far as the USA is concerned, there are no dual citizens in American congress.

There are dual citizens. That fact doesn't AFFECT their US citizenship.

But as far as the usa is concerned all congressmen are American and only American.

As far as the US is concerned, they are US citizens. Additional citizenship doesn't affect their US citizenship.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So if a country accepts dual citizenship then somebody can be a citizen of say, Sweden and at the same time a us citizen and a congressman.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I believe that they go on the citizenship of the mother not the father. BHOs mother was a US citizen....his issue is the "natural born" (citizen) part. However, the issue of dual citizenship for high office (elected or appointed) is a potential problem especially if that person is exposed to classified material or is in a position to make decisions that affect "the other country." There outta be a law......(against same).

new topics

top topics

join