It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting to lose my faith in God and Jesus.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have been a Christian since I was 6 years old. I'm now almost 40 and I just don't see how God helps anyone. I mean I pray, my wife prays, and other people I know pray, but the prayers are randomly answered. The bible says that when two or more people come together and pray for the same thing that the prayer will be answered. In my experiences the prayers are hardly ever answered.

I know that there is always an out for the faithful. "It wasn't God's will" or "It will be answered in God's timing not ours." How convenient. I bet I could pray to the Sun and get the the same answers.

Anyway, I'm at a crossroad. Do I continue the path toward God, or do I turn away and follow my own path. I bet I get the same results either direction.

Is anyone else at this crossroad, or have been there? What did you do? What caused you to take the road that your on?

I hope this was the right forum to post this. If not, Mods please move. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
One's faith in God/Higher Power, or whatever you wish to call it, is such a personal thing. It is something that you yourself must figure out. I myself do not follow any one religion or particular path. You can choose to live your life with morals, compassion and love without following a ceratin religion. As for God, everyone has their own ideas and beliefs.

I wish you courage and strength in finding what is best for you.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Thats your business, and you want the wrong things.

Enough said. Im 35 and have never lost faith and i do not ever care what happens in my life, i will always have it. I mean no matter what happens while i am alive, and i have been through hell for most of my life, my opinion will never change.

Its your choice, you sound like you need richard dawkins, and his dustbin tripe evolution rubbish to solve your spiritual needs.

Like i said if you do not believe thats your business but do not assume that others around this world have not found things you will never, and most will never.

Why are you so selfish that you want stuff from god? Do you understand what i mean. You should go and ask yourself what that question means.
edit on 1/7/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Have you checked under the couch? Everything I lose is under there..

Oh and if god ever did answer even one of your prayers, you'd know it and then you'd know he exists.

So that leads me to think he never really did, and it was all up to fate... as opposed to faith.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
my friend Im with you, i am 35 and grew up in the evangelical church of god.. what a total mind manipulation that is.. constant contradictions.. you are mentally evolving into a more intel;ectual being.. there can not be BOTH: power of prayer and God's will.. they are opposite at times.. who prays to be abused, poor, sad, dying, etc..

therefore it is a false coping mechanism.. christ --- comes from the greek Kristos/ hindu Krishna/krista--- jesus comes from Zeus.. easter comes from oestre.. etc.. the whole bible crap only works on those on limited knowledge, limited education, and brainwashing.. once you become educated (NOT IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SHAMSTEM) you see that our ancestors were pretty much retarded intellectually..

would god-- a. give you a penis and make sex a sin, OR give us a brain and make Knowledge a sin... really.. is the red printed text in the bible really "the word of god"??

the whole jesus thing is like an IQ test so the elites know who can be manipulated.. read the actual definition of a moron, then go to your church and observe.. i will destroy and preacher in a debate..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Why are you so selfish that you want stuff from god? Do you understand what i mean.

Where in my post did I say I want stuff from God? I hardly ever pray for myself. What do you think prayer is for?

In the Bible it says that if I pray with faith, that I can move a mountain. I have never tried to move a mountain, but I have prayed for others to be healed of different afflictions. I have not seen anyone miraculously healed.

I guess I don't know what you mean.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Generally when we pray we are praying from a position of lack and that is exactly what we get.

God created you in his image
1. You are timeless spirit
2. You have the ability to create

If you say any prayer at all make it thank you. I dont care if you feel manipulative, question your purity of intent or even if you aren't really thankful. You will be eventually

Ask for knowledge of Gods will and the power to carry it out. Draw near to me and I will draw near to you. Seek and you will find. Knock and the door will open. Seek the kingdom of God and all will be given unto you. He knows your desire before you even ask. "Thy will not mine be done" Thats a scary request because we think he is going to give us this huge trial and tribulation, put us through the fire and mold us.

Im coming off a 4 month Hate God spree and God doesnt mind. He loves me no matter what. Once you truly get in touch with this unconditional love that you cant sin your way out of grace you are on your way.

As far as God being male or female. As Wayne Dyer says. There is no male or female perspective...we are all of that.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeedTic
Is anyone else at this crossroad, or have been there? What did you do? What caused you to take the road that your on?

I was raised in a very strict Christian home, so naturally, I was a Christian for the first 30 years of my life. I had always questioned the stories I was taught, but I believed them because I believed my parents knew what they were talking about. At about 30 is when I started to SERIOUSLY doubt the validity of what I'd been told.

So, yes, I have been at a crossroads in my religious beliefs.

What caused me to take the road I'm on is that it seemed the most logical thing to do. I realized that my parents lives were their own and my life was mine. My thoughts, research and questioning mind led me to believe what I believe today. It took some time to really OWN my beliefs, however, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I don't think anyone can tell you what to do, but give yourself time. Think and read and talk about it with people who will understand and you will find your own path.
You don't have to decide today. Good luck on your journey.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

I do not think people know what they are talking about when praying or what ever. 99% of people have no real idea.

Why are you so selfish to ask for things from god?

Enough said, and i am talking about everyone.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is what I think, whenever I hear anyone say that they pray to god for personal or other needs

edit on 7/1/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

How is your personal relationship with God? Do you only go to Him to ask for things, or do you thank Him for everything He continually provides for you and yours? Do you read His Living Word, which is He? Do you believe that just because the prayers aren't answered to your satisfaction, that they are not being answered?

God answering our prayers do not necessarily equal the results we desire. Sometimes if it seems He is ignoring you or saying no, it is because the prayer is not backed by the required faith. Since you are admittedly struggling with your faith, maybe you do not believe in what you are asking for...or maybe what you are asking for is not in His will for your life.

Try praying in this manner.

Believe He hears you.

Thank Him ahead of time for answering your prayer.

Believe that He is answering your prayer. Even if the results are not immediate.

Know that some prayers (healing, etc.) Take time to be completely seen/answered.

And know that our time and God's time is different.

I want to add that prayers for wealth will not be answered. He only provides what we need, as we need it. If He gave you all that your heart desires, you would no longer have need for Him.

I have learned that faith is more than just knowing that God exists. It includes realating with Him, seeing Him in everyone and everything. It includes believing in the unseen (ie. prayer processes). It means that even when you are drowning in a seeming hell, knowing that He is working things out and you will soon find the rescue that He has sent forth for you.

Know that as much as strong, unrelenting faith is powerful indeed, also their are many evil forces in this world that would love to see you suffer, loose faith and turn from God. Is this your desire, to make the evil one pleased? If not, please ask God to increase your faith, discernment and wisdom. He loves you and His plans are to prosper you and not harm you. To give you a hope and a future. Prosper though, is not a monetary path, but a path of spiritual health and wealth.

Many times the bad (evil) of the world seem to prosper in earthly terms and the most sincere followers of Christ seem to suffer the most. These things are an illusion to what is true and really taking place. Remember brother, our rewards are not here on earth, but awaiting our eternal life with Him in paradise.

I pray this helps you in your struggle and that you are open and receptive to the truth within and not offended by anything I have said here. I am not judging anyone, only sharing from my experience.

I pray your eyes open to the miracles He performs in your favor and your ears are open to hear His truths.

God bless you on your journey in faith. When you hit rock bottom, there is only one way to go. Up. Reach out, because Jesus is waiting to take your hand and help lead you back to His firm foundation, the solid rock, His sheltering wing.

Only He is responsible for the changes and blessings in my life. Even though there have been many times, including the last two months where I didn't even know how I would pay all the bills and rent, He has made the way and has provided all I need and more....peace, joy and love!

One more thing...no one deserves a thing from Him, as we are all unworthy, rotten, no good sinners. So thank Him for even hearing you. (And I know I will catch much flack from this last statement, mostly from non-believers....so be it. AMEN)
edit on 1/7/11 by staciebee because: typos and last sentence.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for your reply. This kind of reply is exactly what I was looking for. I don't know how long it will take before I start moving down one of the paths, but I thank you for what I quoted above.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Exact same position as you mate... Raised a Catholic in a Catholic Ireland... I would have prayed most nights, but then came scandal upon scandal and then pope himself denying said scandals.

The pope is supposed to be the lords voice on earth according to the devout. How can he have been so so wrong with his views on church scandals. These occurences shook my faith in the physical church on earth but I still believe in something. Being fairly scientifically minded in general doesn't help... But the way I see it if it helps;

I don't fall under any religious title as I don't trust anything that has had so much time to change. It is not origional. Case in point, one of the most reveered religious texts in history 'the bible' has had books taken out, and has been so over translated that the real meaning could have been lost.

But having said all that... I still choose to believe in something.... Just not Allah or God or Vishnu.

Think that makes sense.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by staciebee
reply to post by FeedTic

God bless you on your journey in faith. When you hit rock bottom, there is only one way to go. Up. Reach out, because >esus is waiting to take your hand and help lead you back to His firm foundation, the solid rock, His sheltering wing.

Thanks for your reply. I guess the straw that broke the camels back was that so many people, who I believe are faithful, was praying for my wife to get an executive director position at the place where she works. She was highly qualified as she pretty much ran the place anyway. She didn't get it and I know that more than 20 faithful people were praying for it.

So, that leads me to believe the bible is wrong. If it's wrong what does that lead us to believe? I have been raised believing that the Bible was the word of God. That everything in it is true. Now, I'm not so sure.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TuXXXeR
I don't fall under any religious title as I don't trust anything that has had so much time to change. It is not origional. Case in point, one of the most reveered religious texts in history 'the bible' has had books taken out, and has been so over translated that the real meaning could have been lost.

Exactly! Either the Bible is the true word of God or it isn't. What if it isn't? What are we to believe then?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TuXXXeR

*I know I will catch flack for this as well*

The pope is just a man and human like the rest of us. Therefore he can no more be the mouthpiece for YHWH than you or I. The catholic faith has actually drawn many away from our Lord due to rituals in practice and prayer. How would reciting prayers instead of praying from the heart ever be sincere. How would confessing sins to a sinner instead of confessing and asking for forgiveness straight from the source… our Perfect Creator, ever warrant true cleansing and renewal? How would chanting a dead language that most do not even comprehend, please our Father? Though these are my issues with the catholic faith (along with praying to the saints or Mary), I do believe that there are many within the catholic faith that do break the barriers set forth by the man-made religion and commune with God. But sadly, there are many more just going through the motions and rituals without ever connecting with our source.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Just wanted to add that I'm a spiritual agnostic atheist.

Spiritual - I believe there is more to us that what we see. I even believe in an afterlife. A state of being after death. I believe we all have an essence (call it spirit or soul) that is the main part of who we are. Our bodies are just vehicles and our minds are navigational systems in this existence.

Agnostic - I don't think we KNOW or can know enough to have it all nailed down. The religious story is just a story about where we come from and where we're going. There's no way of knowing if it's true or if any other of a thousand possible stories is true. And I have come to be VERY comfortable with not knowing. It's very freeing not to have to defend my position. I just don't know (and I don't think anyone else does either).
Trying to force the idea that we know is very uncomfortable for me.

Atheist - I don't BELIEVE in a God. I simply have no reason to. I have also become quite comfortable letting this belief go. It was scary at first, but I found a great strength in myself. I can't imagine praying to something outside myself to make something happen or not happen. The very idea is ridiculous to me. There are things we can control and things we can't. I concentrate on the things I can control and leave it at that. I will handle the things I can't control, because I am in touch with my own strength.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

I believe… based on the subject of your prayers and the prayers of your friends, that God has something better in store for your wife. It could be just around the corner. It could be an amazing offer or sadly. It also could be something like illness or a struggle to strengthen your walk with Him. There are two sides to every coin, correct? But there is a reason she did not get the promotion. Tossing your faith over unsatisfactory results is dangerous territory.

I hate to have brought up the other side of the coin, but I am honest by nature and have experienced many trials that benefitted my spiritual growth, even though as I went through those trials I did not feel that way, I see it clearly now, that those times of struggle and heartache were actually Jesus, drawing me closer to him. This may be what you are experiencing now.

Again, may God Bless you and Keep you.

I am about to get off this net and get ready for work.

Have a nice day and don't give up hope.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by staciebee

Yup... And until people were informed enough to go... 'Uh, hang on a minute. You've had double standards for people of earth for 1800 years.' There was a clear agenda with the Catholic Church at the Vatican.!!! World domination by the spread of religious faith! The sale of indulgences was outlawed in the 1400s I think, it was banned because church officials were disgustingly wealthy and sold valuable trinkets ''blessed'' by themselves for personal gain.

And id also say to anyone claiming the world has gone to # because no one has morales etc... bla bla bla.

The world and the people in it have been a whole lot less morale and a whole lot more evil in our history it makes no sense NO SENSE if the world ends because god isn't happy with our morality. (Which according to most religious texts is supposed to be what happens).

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

The victory and rewards are to the OVERCOMERS by the Blood of The Lamb and the Word of our testimony.

Have walked away a couple of times. Nevertheless, Scripture continued to prove true in my life.

I still reaped what I sowed.

THIS IS BOOT CAMP.

God resists being a vending machine,

We are being trained, conditioned, taught, strengthened, wisened up, taught compassion, empathy, Love, HUMILITY

WITH WHICH TO RULE AND REIGN WITH CHRIST THROUGHOUT COUNTLESS AGES AND WORLDS, imho

All is grist for the mill

THAT WE MIGHT THEN

BEAR A GREATER WEIGHT OF GLORY.

The enemy of our souls gets his jollies by trashing us and our faith when he can--the only way he can kick sand in God's eyes for God kicking him out of Heaven.

I don't have all the answers about unanswered prayer.

beinhealth.com...

Henry Wright has some great answers God began showing him after years of him fussing at God about only 5% of those he prayed for getting healed. Now, I think for 20 years or so, the percentages have been reversed.

The successor to John G Lake . . . . BLAKE is his name . . . can't think of his first name . . .

disagees and says FAITH ALONE will work fine.

I think both are correct.

Yet God insists on RELATIONSHIP and not a formula . . . .

God trashed even His own formulae . . . He wants ongoing dialogue, RELATIONSHIP . . . not manipulations for goodies.

THIS END TIMES ERA reveals Bible prophecy coming true right and left 24/7/365.

The evidence for the truth of Scripture is abundant.

Getting out of my long dark night of the soul was most facilitated by focusing on others; refusing to wallow any longer in self-pity and despair . . . doing what little I could even if it was being kind to store clerks as I windowshopped. No money to really shop.

That's up from extreme utter despair hardly able to get dressed.

Telling God even loudly how you feel and what you NEED from Him is fitting. Asking Him to make Himself real in your life and need is fitting.

He does move in His time--used to hate that song.

He is God. We are not.

Hannah Whithall Smith's

THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT left me angry . . .

The author in one of her long dark nights of the soul went to her grandmotherly mentor and realled out her tales of woe.

The mentor only responded:

AHHH, YES . . . AND . . . THERE IS GOD.

THEN SHE CHANGED THE SUBJECT.

DID NOT LISTEN TO NOR RESPOND TO THE TALES OF WOE.

Eventually, I did realize . . .

BECAUSE THERE IS GOD . . .

little else makes any lasting, eternal difference . . .

HE IS GOD. WE ARE NOT.

All else is detail.

He declares that He is touched with the feelings of our infirmities. and He was and IS.

We CAN trust that. Eventually, He will meet the broken and contrite BEFORE HIM.

The proud He will resist.

The humble, He heals and lifts up.

IN HIS TIME. IN HIS WAYS.

PRAYERS, HUGS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join