It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are these comparisons about relationships in the US vs. Abroad mostly true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Check out this comparison chart about relationships, social connection and mental health in the USA vs. Most other countries. Are they true? If so, to what degree? Can the cultural/social differences be that huge? Anyone have any direct experience in these areas?

www.happierabroad.com...

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This person has obviously never been to America. There is crazy competition between females here. Also, this person goes on and on about how women are so much better over there, but fails to mention whether the common immaturity and arrogance that one finds in a lot of men over here is present.

edit on 5-1-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
This person has obviously never been to America. There is crazy competition between females here. Also, this person goes on and on about how women are so much better over there, but fails to mention whether the common immaturity and arrogance that one finds in a lot of men over here is present.

Crazy competition among females for what? Alpha males? Or regular nice guys? Aren't the regular nice guys in the US the ones who are unwanted? Why do so many of them claim to be dateless? Even guys who look decent and have great personalities have this complaint too. It's not always the victims fault.

If almost all women want the alpha males, including the beta females, then who wants the beta males? How come men in Europe don't complain about never getting any dates? European males seem to live more genuine authentic lives.

Feminism has divided relationships and families. That's another factor. The Rockefellers admitted they were behind it through the CIA. Google "Nick Rockefeller".

Yeah a lot of men in the US are immature and arrogant as well, and they brag about every little thing. True. I've met tons of guys who always add one or two 0's at the end of every number in their life and every expense/income figure in their life. I don't get why so many guys do that. It's illogical.

But that is part of the dumbing down of America and keeping us divided and making us feel insecure and weak.
edit on 5-1-2011 by WWu777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Wow just wow

I'm struggling to find a single thing on the list that I could say is true. This person seems to be taking his experience of other countries from being on vacation, well guess what, life is a lot nicer and easier when you are on vacation.
I'm from England which you could say is the most Americanised place in Europe, but I have also LIVED (not vacationed) for long periods of time in Greece and Austria

Women are easy...going

Hahahahahahahahah
oh dear

Sex and getting laid with attractive women comes more naturally.

What the hell? If you sleep with the wrong person in somewhere like a small Cretan village you will wake up bound and gagged in a ditch (if you are lucky)

People work to LIVE! In Europe, Latin America and Australia, people live for experiences and adventure.

No they mostly live to pay their bills and keep a roof over their head like everyone else
edit on 5-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Dave,
So if I go overseas, people won't be more friendly or inclusive than in america? Have you been to america and other countries for long periods of time to compare?

Is it true at least that people will be more inclusive overseas? Or that women are easier to befriend and meet?

Anyone with any experience here who can comment on that?

In America, there tends to be a "mind your own business" mentality. Neighbors are not close, but only politely smile. This is true at least on the west coast. It's very different than the America of the 60's. Are the social environments of foreign countries any different?

Or is everything the same everywhere in every degree and pattern?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Dunno.... I guess the list raises some common "misconceptions" about both America and Europe.
Some of the things seem true... but I guess the grass is greener.

I think Europe is far more liberal and easy going in general than America.
But much of the list could be relevant wherever you lived and which ever side you were looking down.

Much of the list is just narrow-minded, sexist nonsense.... and much of it is ignorant.

It's tough man.... Europe offers more choice I would say, for sure.
But if you're having difficulties making friends and connections in America, I don't see it changing just because you move.
edit on 5/1/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
Check out this comparison chart about relationships, social connection and mental health in the USA vs. Most other countries. Are they true? If so, to what degree? Can the cultural/social differences be that huge? Anyone have any direct experience in these areas?

www.happierabroad.com...

Thanks in advance.

I am 49 year american born woman. And as difficult as this is to say, I believe that article was nearly on the bullseye. I bet this thread gets alot of attacks from the averave american woman whom is living in selfish denials.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Dunno.... I guess the list raises some common "misconceptions" about both America and Europe.
Some of the things seem true... but I guess the grass is greener.

I think Europe is far more liberal and easy going in general than America.
But much of the list could be relevant wherever you lived and which ever side you were looking down.

Much of the list is just narrow-minded, sexist nonsense.... and much of it is ignorant.

It's tough man.... Europe offers more choice I would say, for sure.
But if you're having difficulties making friends and connections in America, I don't see it changing just because you move.
edit on 5/1/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

Well America can be a lonely country for many people. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with them. We are programmed to think society is normal and only misfits have problems. But that's not true. See Eric Fromm's quote below:

"The sick individual finds himself at home with all other similarly sick individuals. The whole culture is geared to this kind of pathology. The result is that the average individual does not experience the separateness and isolation the fully schizophrenic person feels. He feels at ease among those who suffer from the same deformation; in fact, it is the fully sane person who feels isolated in the insane society — and he may suffer so much from the incapacity to communicate that it is he who may become psychotic." - Eric Fromm (The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness)

Also, how do you explain these testimonials from people whose social life changed completely once they changed "location"?

www.happierabroad.com...
www.happierabroad.com...

Don't they sound sincere? Or could the site owner have faked them?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by prexparte

Originally posted by WWu777

www.happierabroad.com...

Thanks in advance.

I am 49 year american born woman. And as difficult as this is to say, I believe that article was nearly on the bullseye. I bet this thread gets alot of attacks from the averave american woman whom is living in selfish denials.

As a woman, you don't find it sexist? Have you traveled abroad a lot to confirm whether those comparisons are true or not? I mean do you have first hand experiences to confirm whether those comparisons are accurate or not?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

If you go to a big city in Europe it's like going to a big city in America, people are distant and unfriendly, If you go to a small village in Europe then I assume it's much the same as a small town in America closer and more inclusive.

The only places I have been to in the states are Boston and Antrim NH

I can tell you though that London, Vienna, Athens and Boston all share the same feeling of being in a large anonymous town.

I can say that I have dated girls from a lot of different countries in Europe and my girlfriend now is from Massachusetts so I guess I am in quite a good position to judge
edit on 6-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Holy crap!!! Spot on!

I was born and raised in America. And totally miserable and depressed most of those years. Now I live in Russia and go to university there, and I finally feel happy. I feel like I belong with Europeans.

Girls are so sincere and totally awesome in Europe, especially Russia. I was intimidated at first, because Russian women are totally the most gorgeous in the world in my opinion, because I knew how American girls would act with that type of beauty. One of the first times I was at a bar in Moscow, a beautiful woman approached ME and we actually had a meaningful conversation about travel and poetry. Ended up dating her a bit and now still great friends with her. If I was in America, I would have to approach the girl, act like a tough guy for a bit, and we'd end up talking about The Jersey Shore before having some meaningless sex.

I've met many Germans and Italians too.... very easy females to talk to. They don't tend to have large "I know I'm hot" egos, and are some of the most loving people I've met.

Sorry, I'm a sellout...

Give me European girl any day over an America.

The article's totally true.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Every time I read things like this comparing the USA to Europe, it makes me feel desperate to move to a European country. I agree with a lot of the things on that list, but from everything I know, I would much prefer to live in Europe than the US. Maybe someday I will. The society and culture here in the US aggravates me to no end sometimes.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Based on my own experiences I can say that for the most part that article is true. Absolutely spot on.

Just reaffirms that I really need to get the hell out of this country and experience something different. The picture painted in this threads sounds pretty attractive.

top topics

join