It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New District Judge Believes in Subservient Women, Denied effects of Rape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
J. Leon Holmes was recently appointed as Eastern District Judge in Arkansas by a narrow margin in the Senate, 51-46. What makes this story unbelievable is Holmes view that women should by subservient to men. Even more incredible is Holmes belief that rape does not cause pregnancy. Holmes was sponsored by who else but Republican Senator Orrin Hatch.

Source Salt Lake City Tribune:

Fueling much of the debate is a 1997 article Holmes and his wife, Susan, wrote for Arkansas Catholic magazine titled, "Gender Neutral Language, Destroying an Essential Element of Our Faith." The couple wrote that under Catholic teaching, "the woman is to place herself under the authority of the man" in marriage and "is to subordinate herself to the husband."

Hatch also discounted criticism over a 1980 letter Holmes wrote to a newspaper arguing that rape victims should not be allowed to have abortions because "conceptions from rape occur with approximately the same frequency as snowfall in Miami." Holmes has since apologized for the comment.

Many Senators were angry during the debate, citing that his views reflected a narrow scope of the teachings of Christianity, and that his views were not fit for a judge. Other senators rebuffed citing that his views shouldn't be oppressed for believing in something that many people have been believing for 2000 years.

We are talking about a federal judge here. His views will not reflect the law as much as it will reflect his own beliefs. Holmes should not be allowed to judge with this kind of prejudice. He will end up forcing his views on other people who do not believe in women's subservience and other issues. I can understand a politician, but a judge!!! How would you feel if you had to go before this judge? Him pushing trite morals down your throat, someone needs to tell this guy what year we are living in!

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
For the record I believe that the whole "wives being subservient to husbands" is not a Catholic teaching. You'll find that it is mostly in hardcore Baptist and Protestant teachings a lot more than you will in straight up Catholocisim.

That said, I think it's a load of crap. Christians who still follow that crap need to get with the damned times. Obviously women and men aren't equal in all aspects, but for a religion to continue to teach that women should be subservient to men is ludicrous. And this guy's a fool.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Even more incredible is Holmes belief that rape does not cause pregnancy.

Thanks a joke...right!?! And to think this moron holds a position of power over others? That's it!!! I quit the human race! Who's with me?

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Hatch also discounted criticism over a 1980 letter Holmes wrote to a newspaper arguing that rape victims should not be allowed to have abortions because "conceptions from rape occur with approximately the same frequency as snowfall in Miami." Holmes has since apologized for the comment.

Keep in mind acting like a braying azz in 1980 was just aspiring to the highest office in the land. Jesse Helms has since apologized for the bulk of his hate speech during the 80's on behalf of the Republican Party. And Reagen would have also been held to a much higher critical standard today had he been physically able to account for himself.

But even with that in mind, I doubt this guy has changed much.

[edit on 7-7-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Jonna I'm comin! Screw this, I didn't sign up for this nonsense.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It really doen't suprise me that a person like this was sponsered by Orinn Hatch, the man has been a supporter of many bonehead concepts, like allowing the RIAA to actually attack the computers of file sharers using Denial of Service attacks along with malicious Viruses and other methods that were clearly a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Personally I think morons like Hatch and Holmes have no place controlling anything, especially our lives.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Wow, this guy reminds me of another judge, except the judge I'm thinking of got to be a judge due to a loophole Bush used. Bush had tried to get this guy in as some super judge for his entire time in office. But the guy was always shot down by the senate. Well, presidents day weekend, the senate not in office, causing a loophole for Bush. No senate in office, no way to deny the guy for being a judge of whatever, the guy gets in. Now why was this guy always denied by the senate? Could it be the guy let 3 KKK members off for burning crosses in a black mans yard that caught the house on fire and killed the guy? Instead of Muder 2 they got Man 2 with some bull# sentence like 6 months probation that was later waived. They killed man and the judge let them off.

But damn, this guy is a fruit loop. He thinks women can't become pregnant from getting raped? And his proof of this is what? And women lower then men? Who is it that gives life? Who is it that carries another human being around in their womb for 9 months? Not a guy I can tell you that. Not even the most feminine gay guy can do that. Women don't need men, they have test tubes and sperm banks and other means.(turkey baster!
) So should we really piss the women off?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That reminds me of a book I once read about the Victorian age which said that a woman could only get pregnant if she enjoyed the sexual act. From that logic they said that anyone who got pregnant from rape must have actually enjoyed the act and hence it couldn't be rape.

Can someone borrow JT's time machine and feck this judge off back to the 1800's please ? :shk:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What kind I said leave it to the Republicans to bring the rightousness and narrow minded morons into our lifes and home and make womes guilty of being rape.

Holmes� anti-choice activism extends far beyond involvement with organizations that work to eliminate a woman�s right to choose. Mr. Holmes has written repeatedly on the subject. He has stated that, �No issue of our time is more important, not the economy, not the deficit, not health care, not foreign policy, as important as those matters are. No other issue concerns our very soul.� He is unequivocal about his belief that a woman�s right to choose should not be protected, writing that abortion is �. . . the simplest issue this country has faced since slavery was made unconstitutional. And it deserves the same response.�

Holmes has blamed the feminist movement for what he believes is the erosion of morality, including criticism of �artificial contraception.�

Laddies get ready to have you contraceptions methods taking away from us.

This men is against woman, and woman hater.

Way to go antiwomen rights Bush.

[edit on 7-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hmmm, blacks a minority, women a minority, and the republicans both support judges that want to "put them in their place." Gee, think maybe the republicans want a super race of white christian straight males to rule the world? Wouldn't that be NWO? Hmmmm.... must be a coincidence.(Sarcasm to the maximum volume)

This guy is sick, he would have done well between 200bc-1930's. But this is 2004, women vote, women hold jobs, women do more than pop babies out and cook dinner. Hopefully this means no woman will vote for Bush, unless she thinks J. Leon Holmes is correct, then she will vote how her husband tells her to vote.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Gee, think maybe the republicans want a super race of white christian straight males to rule the world?

James the Lesser,

The true is that Republicans appeal to white conservative males, that what their campaing targets, woman well they believe it should be pregnant ignorant and bare footed. Get my point.

df1

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I quit the human race! Who's with me?

Here is my resignation.

Where can we go that these evil demons can't find us? It seems that the fundamentalist slime are willing to chase anyone that opposes them to the ends of the earth.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yeah, these are the kind of people who use the pro-life arguement of.

"Women are stupid ignorant # machines. They will have sex, get pregnant, go to an abortion clinic and do this all they want for they are women, thats what they do, for they are women. Now if they hadn't been sinful in a past life or somethin god would have given them the honor to be a man. But they were evil sinners in the past so now they are women."

This person and the people who support him are nuts. Crazy. Some are loons even.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Does anybody notice that Bush and his cronies are as narrow minded abut women as the Taliban?

It seems that maybe he does like the way women are treated by the Taliban rule and through religious fanatics like Holmes, he is achieving for women in US what the Taliban wants for women in the Middle East.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
[Where can we go that these evil demons can't find us? It seems that the fundamentalist slime are willing to chase anyone that opposes them to the ends of the earth.

(g) Join the feminist movement (and I'm only half joking. Most of the men I know are "feminists" -- they enjoy a woman who's an intellectual and financial equal and they don't believe in the "barefoot, pregnant, and subservient" model. They don't enjoy women who are basically taller, larger, and older children.)

As women become more educated, they find the notion that they are not "supposed" to have certain professions, earn certain salaries, be intellectually involved in anything, or be making decisions for a family to be very restrictive and hindering. The best revenge is to educate everyone. Most well-educated men don't care to be married to a doormat-type and most well-educated women don't care to be that type.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, there are some men and some women who enjoy that lifestyle. I believe they should marry each other. I don't believe, however, that they should force their lifestyle on the whole culture.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Faisca

What about Islam? I'm pretty sure it's rampent in that religion aswell. I can't think of any society in which women aren't suppressed except for a matriachial type society, which we are not.

top topics

join