It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost Everything Is A Crime In America Now: 14 Of The Most Ridiculous Things That Americans Are Bei

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Maybe by being privately operated, jails suddenly stop to be a charge in the state budget to be a tax contributor like any other business.

Therefore the State suddnely saves money and gets taxes in the meanwhile so they're like squaring the circle...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

When it comes to being infront of a judge, it really comes down to relating yourself to the judge. Showing respect and presenting yourself as a common humane person who just wants understanding. This example was the only time I walked out of court winning. I have had many instances of being treated like dog. A lot of times the judge doesn't want to put a citizen down, though unless you provide testimony that could help him along in his decision, you wont win. Even if you just ask for clarity of the situation and what you have done wrong, you may not win, but you may get a reduced fine. I still encourage communicating with the officer because they really are people. We dont see it, but they are against you until you show you don't want an enemy, you just want the same respect you provide them..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

The Art of boiling frogs. The Nazis that put Israel on the map and migrated to the US learned how not to do things after the war.

You slowly indoctrinate not ironfist them into submission.

Seems to be working

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I would just like to point out that if a total of 7,225,800 people were either on probation, in prison or on parole in America and the population is 307,006,550 is the Census says it is according to Population stats then that makes up 2.35% of the population. Not that bad when you consider that we have an amazing amount of freedom to get ourselves in trouble.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by grrrrt
Of course it's hella ridiculous that LEO's would enforce law onto these minor things, but you can't forget about the *SNIP*ing people making those 911 calls on these victims in the first place. Those same people would probably sue anybody any chance they got, because if you haven't noticed there are those out there that abuse our law enforcement and courts.

But I think the real problem is the people above the LEO's that are making these dumb laws, as an officers job entitles them to enforce those laws no matter how ludicrous they are.
edit on 28-12-2010 by grrrrt because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2010 by grrrrt because: spelling

And THESE PEOPLE are what makes the "See Something, Say Something" campaign and the "Patriot App" so damn chilling.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
If you have a busted tail light and absolutely refuse to comply or contract with our thug cops, they have the 'legal authority' to ram your car off the road, pull a gun on you, and shoot you if necesary.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Here is a site to get info on laws from each state that are dumb laws! www.dumblaws.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by linuxcore

Good grief i can't believe in this era of promoting conservation of natural resources your city is persecuting you to enforce a green lawn. I've heard of homeowners associations having crazy rules to that effect but never heard of a city government inclined to such insanity. So they are all for people dumping hazardous chemicals on their lawns just so the end result is the color green? Screw that, then just go out and buy some cans of green spray paint. Hey, Lancaster, the lawn is green, now stfu.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
i have a shirt that says i live in a free country and i have all the permits and licences to prove it at says alot we have no freedom in america anymore just like the cops can pull you over for not having a seatbelt on what business is it of the cops or the state that you wear a seatbelt that is your own life the only reason is to get more money out of you thats it this country has been in a police state for years it started getting bad after 1913 when congress gave us a private central banking system
edit on 29-12-2010 by ufowatcher87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by woogleuk
I also read once about a law in one of the US States, where a woman is only permitted to drive if her husband is walking in front of the car waving a flag !

That would certainly cut down on the number of motor accidents.

But might lead to an usual number of husband's being run over.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Unfortunately, too many Americans want even tougher laws...I live in a small community that spends huge resources setting up "sting operations" to criminalize the population--the stings range from paying former high school classmates to attempt to purchase small amounts of marijuana (a gram or two) then gets a warrant to bust into the house armed like terrorists, search the house, computers and every underwear drawer fro evidence of further criminal activity.

Random car stops--if a cop thinks your eyes look funny, they impound your car until they've tested you for alcohol, pot and other drugs. It costs $600 to get your car out of impound.

Crosswalk sting operations--cops pay people to walk across the street at crosswalks...if a car doesn't stop fast enough, the cops pull the car over, search the entire car, run background checks on every person in the car, and impound the car if there is reason to believe criminal activity may have taken place.

Yup, this sounds crazy but it's true. Here's the scary part: This small, lily-white liberal community is happy that the police are cleaning up the "crime." They want more police. More arrests. More jails.

What happened to liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Where is the media? Our small town paper glorifies the cops and demonizes anyone who disagrees.

Sound familiar?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Some good quotes by Daniel Quinn on this very matter of too many laws and too much policing:

"Old minds think: We have to write tougher and more comprehensive laws.
New minds think: No unwanted behavior has ever been eliminated by passing a law against it."

- Daniel Quinn, Beyond Civilization

"Every one of your systems is a utopian system. Democracy would be heaven--if people would just be better than people have ever been. Of course, Soviet Communism was supposed to have been heaven too--if people had just been better than people have ever been. Your justice system would work perfectly if people would just be better than people have ever been. And of course your schools would work perfectly under the same conditions."
- Daniel Quinn, My Ishmael

"Crime made its appearance during the dawning age of literacy. What this means is that, as soon as people started to write, they started writing laws; this is because writing enabled them to do something they hadn't been able to do before. Writing enabled them to define in exact, fixed terms the behaviors they wanted the state to regulate, punish, and suppress."
- Daniel Quinn, The Story of B

"Crimes are what the state defines as crimes. Trespassing is a crime, but interrupting is not, and we therefore have two entirely different ways of handling them--which people in tribal societies do not. Whatever the trouble is, whether it's bad manners or murder, they handle it themselves, the way you handle the interrupter. Evoking the power of the state isn't an option for them, because they have no state. In tribal societies, crime simply doesn't exist as a separate category of human behavior."
- Daniel Quinn, The Story of B

"Old minds think: If it didn't work last year, let's do MORE of it this year.
New minds think: If it didn't work last year, let's do something ELSE this year."

"Every year we pass more laws, hire more police, build more prisons, and sentence more offenders for longer periods--all without moving one inch closer to "ending" crime. It didn't work last year or the year before that or the year before that or the year before that, but you can be sure we'll try it again this year, knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that it won't work this year either."

"Acceding to homelessness would look like helping the homeless succeed WHILE being homeless. What an idea! I can almost hear the howls of outrage from both liberals and conservatives that must greet such a concept. Help people succeed at being homeless? We want them to fail at being homeless!"

"The homeless are "beyond civilization" because they're beyond the reach of civilization's hierarchy, which has been unable to develop a structural extension to enclose them. The most it can manage is to oppress, harry, and obstruct them. To accede to homelessness would be to "let them go," much as the biblical pharaoh let the Israelites go."

People accept and tolerate this system, even defending it with their lives... when deep down we all know the system isn't working, nor is it working for us. We work for IT. We are subservient to its governing needs and subservient also to its economic needs. We need to LEARN to stop leaning on the state or the market to sort out all of our problems instead of finding natural/cultural ways of dealing with them OURSELVES. There is a serious cultural immaturity/laziness on many peoples' part... they don't like something, they want a law passed against it... but in a truly FREE society, we are free to adopt and abandon any means necessary to better our lives, our communities and our environments. Of course... it's much more complicated than that, but we NEED to start thinking of ways to localize, regain a culture/sense of community, and abandon large centralized, unsustainable markets and governments. Otherwise... we're just participating in building the fence we'll be caged within.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
freedom of speech is next to go.

If it has not gone already. FCC is already trying to shut down radio talk show hosts like rush Limbaugh and whoever. Regardless of whether I agree with these radio talk shows, it is our right of freedom to speak our minds.

I think in 10 years the governments or laws will have us looking like a nation of drones.

Its almost a Greek tragedy when you really think about it, I mean if you look in the right places you can see everything crumbling heck it right in front of our faces, but no one is doing anything about, the population is well just not caring, and that is how we will become drones if we are not already.

I guess I should not say I told you so.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

I've consistently wondered what we can do about this.

There are so many laws on the books, it would be impossible to ask our elected officials to repeal them one by one, that wouldnt accomplish anything because it would be too long a process and by the time one is gone, five would have been put in place.

I think it would accomplish a great deal of things. Number one, the termites would be busy repealing the laws, too busy to continue gnawing at the timbers of the framework of that evil 'Constitution' they see so fit to destroy.

Perhaps it would be more expedient to simply make the elected 'representatives' disappear, one by one?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
But might lead to an usual number of husband's being run over.

That goes without saying.

After all, the man would be walking in front of a car being driven by a woman, which would increase the chances of him being run over by about tenfold.

edit on 29-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

NoHierachy
thanks for your quotes, star
There is some good quotes to think about in your post. I do hope some other people have read them.

Thanks to everyone else for posting also.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I feel extremely sorry for you who live in America, I can tell you right now that if a police man approached me on a bus in Australia and gave me a $500 fine for swearing i would laugh at him and send him on his horse. The only word i refrain from saying around general public is the c word and i don't say that very often.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

People in this country believe strongly in the freedom of speech, for themselves, and the topics they deem acceptable.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

the hell is with this doubleposting problem lately

edit on Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:07:22 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Definitely a police state. Your already called unpatriotic for questioning govt. next they'll try to take away free speech.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join