It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bundle Up, It's Global Warming

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
What do you think is causing ozone depletion?

Well before I answer that what do you think Ozone is? And how is it formed in the first place?

The 'Ozone hole' was another scam to make money. While I am 100% for ANYTHING that reduces crap in our air, the ozone holes have always, and will always be over the poles. There were some scientists back when this was hot in the evening news that finally came out and admitted it... then it got very quiet on the ozone front

Ozone is Oxygen... energized by UV light to form Ozone (O3) In this way oxygen 'blocks' UV rays by absorbing them. The ozone is heavier, falls... and loses energy... the lower energy state splits it back to Oxygen (O2) and Oxygen (O) The (O) version of oxygen is highly reactive and removes pollutants from the air, or combines with free hydrogen to form water

(as a side note Oxygen in it's single form (O) is poisonous to us... we need the O2 version
)

Then the cycle starts all over again... continuously... as long as there is oxygen on the planet and UV light from the sun

The holes over the poles fluctuate in size dependent solely on the amount of direct UV they get in a particular year.

There is one other factor though involved in this solar system wide 'warming' trend that NASA has documented on several planets..

Our solar system is currently moving through a new region in space that may be 'denser' and this is effecting a lot of things in the system... including reactions on the sun itself. It has even caused giant holes in our magnetosphere... And I am 100% sure mankind has no effect on that
[
edit on 27-12-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And just for those who don't read the whole thread...

The Ice Core samples from Lake Vostok in Antarctica don't lie... this graph shows the CYCLE on planet Earth that far out dates mankind. What REALLY stands out is that the warm periods are very short followed by long periods of cold... and we are near the end of the current warm cycle

I put in a wood burning stove this summer... and have lots of firewood

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
I put in a wood burning stove this summer... and have lots of firewood

Better have enough wood stockpiled, as well as heaters around every tree within the adjacent few hectares too.

or maybe an oil burning heater. Seems there might not be enough CO2 in the atmosphere.
edit on 12/27/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I hardly think any serious poster of this community argues that Global Warming is real. We all know it is real. What the topic of further debate should be is whether it is caused by MAN, or MOTHER.

Can we please keep the debate to fact, backed up by some semblance of evidence in order to keep the emotion from overtaking us again?

FACT : The Earth is experiencing Global Warming

Discussion : Are humans the main cause, half of the cause, or a negligible cause of a trend toward warming?

My post sides with the negligible :

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.

Earth is currently experiencing rapid warming, which the vast majority of climate scientists says is due to humans pumping huge amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. (Get an overview: "Global Warming Fast Facts".)

In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.

"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
My post sides with the negligible

I agree that any trend towards global warming on Mars reflects minimal human impact

As I said, I don't believe that there is sufficient data on climate change on Earth to indicate what changes might be happening, much less what the cause might be. For example, a natural cooling trend might be being mitigated by atmospheric pollution which is causing a greenhouse effect, with the net result over a few hundred years being... nothing.

There's just not enough data. Though, again, putting gases and particulates into the atmosphere that aren't naturally there will cause a difference of some degree, period.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Global warming being caused by man is a fraud. I believe it has been created in order to hide the bigger picture. The whole Solar System is undergoing changes, yet, sheeples don't know about it. They think their car causes warmth. Wow. Actually CO2 is a green gaz, it's good for Mother Nature. Did he (Al Gore) thought about volcanoes, water turmoil...

Another thing, how can we know the ozone layer is getting weaker because of us? There are thousands of possibilities, men being one of them. You know, the sun could be playing a part, an incoming body, the fact we are moving toward the center of the Photon Belt, where the cosmic rays are very strong...

Here's an article that might interest some of you

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I love when people believe they can use and abuse our planet without any negative results.

it bugs me to no end those who think the earth is not at a beaking point

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
Global warming being caused by man is a fraud. I believe it has been created in order to hide the bigger picture. The whole Solar System is undergoing changes, yet, sheeples don't know about it. They think their car causes warmth. Wow. Actually CO2 is a green gaz, it's good for Mother Nature.

You do realize, I hope, that cars emit carbon MONoxide, not carbon DIoxide. Well, on rereading what you wrote, you obviously do not. There is 0.1 PPM (parts per million) carbon monoxide in the air, naturally. Car exhaust gets as high as 7,000 PPM. It is a known toxin (as in "can kill you") and known pollutant.

Carbon dioxide is what we breathe out and plants take in, and, I assume what you thought you were referring to.

Before referring to others as "sheeple" you might want to at least have a rudimentary understanding of the facts.
edit on 27-12-2010 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Better have enough wood stockpiled, as well as heaters around every tree within the adjacent few hectares too.

I'm in Vegas... ice won't come done this far
And we will defend the mountain passes

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by prexparte
it bugs me to no end those who think the earth is not at a beaking point

I assume you mean breaking point?

What bugs me is people who make claims like that and don't even bother to take a minute and really see what is going on...

Go to google and type in "ozone layer getting better"

Here are headlines from the first page... Seems since we stopped pushing it in the news... it is working just fine.

1.Ozone layer slowly healing itself - The Times of India May 4, 2006

2.It's official: we really have saved the ozone layer : Highly ...Mar 23, 2009

3.The Ozone Hole is Getting Better. Really - Science and Society Oct 19, 2006

4. UN Says Ozone Layer Depletion Over Thanks to Montreal Protocol

5 DailyBuzz: Ozone Layer Getting Better: Not Thinning Anymore Sep 17, 2010

When the planet truly reaches 'breaking point' trust me, she will let you know... just like the Dinosaurs found out after 400 million years of releasing more greenhouse gases than cows do... and there were a lot more active volcanos back then.

Anyone ever study how much gases Krakatoa spewed out in comparison to what us puny ants produce? And just wait till Yellowstone pops it's cork... then you will see some action

edit on 27-12-2010 by zorgon because: Phage has been EATEN by Aliens

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This whole Global Warming thing is really getting to me these days...

First they say, we'll get warmer wetter winters with hot summers and more hurricanes. Now the opposite is happenng, they are STILL saying its global warming.

Global Warming may be occurring, i wont totally discount it but its IMPOSSIBLE to determine if it is indeed happening because you would need to break the laws of themodynamics. Here

To say the entire earth is warming is a rediculous notion because the earth is not in equilibrium so it is pointless measuring the global temp. You'd be aswell measuring the temp in your back garden at various points day after day and deciding if your garden is warming up too...

What a joke.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I live here in Massachusetts and every winter is cold and snowy, haven't really seen any difference in the weather.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Global Warming has to be the 2nd most sucessful scam of all time, with No 1 being relgeon.
Scientists backed anything that would guarantee them more bucks from a Government.
Governments listened to the Scientists, with the view, they must be right, their scientists.
Governments started Fire Sales of Power Generators for fear of getting stuck with Al-Gores tax. With Power Generators now in the hands of the Rich, they can charge what ever they like to pay for a problem that doesn't exist. All this, even before any carbon credits has even started.

I gotta hand to the guys at top of tree, absolutely Brilliant plan and executed.
Once again it proves, anyone can be bought and greed conquers all.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
First they say, we'll get warmer wetter winters with hot summers and more hurricanes. Now the opposite is happenng, they are STILL saying its global warming.

Well it works kinda funny...

Temperatures rise... melt ice caps and mountain glaciers... all this fresh water gets into the ocean and changes salinity... and that triggers mega storms and onset of ice age

There was a good move about that "The Day After Tomorrow"

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
This whole Global Warming thing is really getting to me these days...

Snow is precipitation. Getting a lot more snow than usual qualifies as "wetter".

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Not sure about Global Warming or Ice Age... however, in over 20 years living in New York I never seen city so unprepared for the storm. It's around 9pm here and main roads are still covered in snow, nothing is being cleaned... no snow movers or salt distribution. This storm in nothing, especially comparing to the one in 1996... It feels like world stopped and is moving backwards...

edit on 27-12-2010 by Rocks123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I have had a quick skim through this and other threads regarding Greeen House gases etc and how they are 'Man Made'. What I haven't seen much mention of is natural Green House Gas release from such as Permafrost!.

Thought I would throw these in for a little illumination:

www.treehugger.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.denverpost.com...

www.iol.co.za...

www.worldculturepictorial.com...

www.independent.co.uk...

As has been said, most likely natural although I guess it would be difficault for the govenments of this world to charge us carbon tax etc if everyone actually knew we have very little to do with Global warming and thats if there is such a thing..

edit on 27-12-2010 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Of course it's man-made. If you want to believe it's coincidentally just that "period" that occurs every 10,000 years or so, where we have climate change... you go ahead. Burying our power-hungry, oil-consuming, energy centric heads in the sand won't fix a thing.

I am in Colorado, and was outside BBQing on Christmas Day.. while in Georgia, they had 5" of snow. Something is amiss.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

The rate of the sea level rise for the last 100 years was about 2mm/yr. There was no exponential increase of the sea level observed last 10 years. The only way to determine the global warming is by the rise of the sea level because the regional temperature does not represent the overall heat content of the earth.

Considering the 70 percent of the earth is covered with the sea water, and also the water has the highest heat capacity, it is pretty safe to consider the average sea level as the measure of the total content of the heat on the surface of the earth. The fact that there was no dramatic increase of the sea level for the last 100 years since the modernization of the earth's civilization suggests that the global warming is not real. Even if it does exist, it is not man made.

There is no dramatic increase of the sea level as depicted by the popular dooms day scenario, which only suggests that the gradual monotonic increase of the sea level for the last 100 years was due to the Sun's cyclical activity.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I know people hate to take responsibility for anything anymore.

...If there was any truth to this then temperatures wouldn't go down at night at all but they do...

You claim that people hate to take responsibility, and meanwhile that is true of other subjects it has nothing to do with this one. People like you love to claim "it is all because of mankind" because too many people these days have been indoctrinated into hating mankind. From the "overpopulation lie" to the "AGW lie" and others in between, these are topics which are meant to incite a deep hatred towards mankind and to desensitize people and to allow the rich elites implementing their "depopulation programs and AGW fighting programs" which aim to completely get rid of the middle class and to make everyone, who is still alive, a puppet of the NWO.

You claim it has nothing to do with politics or economics yet you yourself deride capitalists which shows you are not even aware of the indoctrination you have fallen for.

It's pretty simple, carbon dioxide gases increase the temps because it create an insulating layer, which blocks solar energy from being reflected back into space.

Really?... so if it is that simple tell us Sherlock why is it that temperatures still go down at night?... If it was true that CO2 acts as an insulating layer not allowing solar energy from being reflected back into space then temperatures at night should remain the same as in the morning... After all, the AGW fanatics have been so bling an ignorant to even claim the Sun is not as important for temperatures on Earth as CO2 is...

Even if it's not the cause there is nothing wrong in reducing pollution, our air is getting more and more toxic.

I find it ironic how AGW fanatics such as yourself call everyone who dares doubt your religion as ignorant, and at the same time your people make the most ignorant comments you can find on the web...

CO2 IS NOT TOXIC... in fact CO2 is NEEDED by all life on this planet

www.asehaqld.org.au...
utdoor-air-pollution-a-toxic-soup&catid=37:air-quality&Itemid=56

Your ignorance again goes to show... WHERE in that list is CO2?... Let me give you a hint... CO2(Carbon Dioxide) IS NOT CO(Carbon Monoxide)

CO2 is NOT a pollutant, and it is not toxic, despite the FDA showing their true colors when they labeled CO2 a polutant. After all they have tried to make Water Vapor a pollutant as well...

edit on 27-12-2010 by ElectricUniverse because: errors.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join