It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about UBUNTU

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I was on a thread tonight and saw this mentioned a couple times. I went to check it out and it looked like something I would like.

My question though is, as I realize this is a OS., do I need to remove windows xp from my drive for it to work, or it is more like just opening a different type of browser and it runs independent? Where would I dl it too?

lol would like to have a clue of what Im doing before I dl it.

Also, anyone else use it? Do you like it? Pros Cons?

Just for the record this is all in reference to "UBUNTU" !
edit on 21-12-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Once you download it,burn the ISO,you can TEST Ubuntu by booting off the CD (it's a live cd)
You can install Ubuntu within windows and test it that way next.

But both methods are a little slower than if you install it.

If you have just a little computer savvy I would suggest the live CD route.

there are many live CD versions out there, not just ubuntu.

distrowatch.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Advice from someone who really messed up my laptop the first time around (by accidentally wiping Windows when I meant to install it as a dual boot system)... turned out to be a blessing in disguise though as I've never gone back to Windows/

Download the iso (Ubuntu or Mint 9) are two good ones to try and burn to CD or DVD depending on which you choose. Then, you can use the live CD/DVD for as long as you need to decide whether you like it and which one you like. If you decide to dual-boot with Windows, the Linux forums can walk you through how to install, configure partitions, etc.

ed: for clarity
edit on 21-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Replying via gtab Droid. Ubuntu can be installed side by side with windows.
Editing via my laptop. Listen to Utopian penguin.
edit on 12/21/2010 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Ubuntu's live cd is impressive when installing it with any other OS. Very straight forward. Not familiar with the other OS you speak of.

Edit to add. ALWAYS BACKUP EVERYTHING that is important on your drive before committing to something that could wipe out your current OS.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I can only stress what the above poster said about the Live Cd. It is the best way to try!

For more complicated stuff if you want to keep windows you can

Install it virtually like with virtualbox
Install it from within Windows using WUBI
Use Ubuntu portable. It works well but is resource a hog!

Look at the unbuntu forum & community website. But again the utopian penguin is right!

Linux comes in lots of flavours but Ubuntu is the best one for first timers!
edit on 21-12-2010 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

For first time linux users Ubnuntu is the best linux platform to start with.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by madmangunradio

I went with Linux Mint simply because I didn't (and still don't) know that much about Linux and was advised it was one of the more straightforward (read: easier) distros for those first transitioning from Windows. Everything pretty much worked straight up and really didn't need tweaking, though now that I've been using it for a few years, I've gotten more brave with regards to experimenting.

I have Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my netbook and it's very similar, though some things are different. Also, very little tweaking necessary and worked pretty much straight from download.

Ubuntu or Mint 9 are very easy to get used to for Linux beginners (IMHO) can't go wrong with either choice ...

Just reiterating (Lol) use the live CD/DVD first and for as long as you want, before making a decision to install with Windows. Might as well know for sure you like it.

ETA:
Interesting reading: Dual Boot Ubuntu with Windows

edit on 21-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by madmangunradio

I went with Linux Mint simply because I didn't (and still don't) know that much about Linux and was advised it was one of the more straightforward (read: easier) distros for those first transitioning from Windows. Everything pretty much worked straight up and really didn't need tweaking, though now that I've been using it for a few years, I've gotten more brave with regards to experimenting.

I have Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my netbook and it's very similar, though some things are different. Also, very little tweaking necessary and worked pretty much straight from download (though I can't figure out how to get Java to run) but in any case... that is beyond this thread. Lol.

Either distros are very easy to get used to for Linux beginners (IMHO) can't go wrong with either choice ...

I know nothing about linux mint. Your one up on me on that OS. >:/ Can't argue for or against it just what I know about Ubuntu.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
All I know Is that I have a Live CD and have used it at work on alot of laptops for co-workers. Its extremely user friendly even allows you to resize your drive to add ubuntu next to XP and 7 easily. Grub is installed and gives you a dual boot option on boot up. The installation from the live CD is extremely user friendly and straight forward.

Edit to add GRUB is the linux boot loader that gives you an option when you turn your computer on to boot to windows or linux

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmangunradio
reply to post by phatpackage

For first time linux users Ubnuntu is the best linux platform to start with.

Exactly as I said!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I would recommend some serious reading on the subject of Linux before I tried anything drastic. Ubuntu is neato & all, but judging from some of the questions in your OP, I assume you have limited knowledge on the matter. It's gonna be a tad more complicated than installing a Windows app I'm afraid.

Ubuntu would be a good starting point for you if you are interested in fuxing around with Linux though. As someone already suggested, try the LiveCD version first. It's a bootable version of Ubuntu that requires no hard-install to your HDD.

Did I mention you should READ? Then read some more...Good luck & have fun!

edit: PM me if you run into any problems that you can't figure out after reading! No hand-holding if you really want to learn Linux.
edit on 21-12-2010 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I'll answer the "Does anyone else like it" part.

Yes, very much. My brother talked me into it and I sort of didn't like it even before I tried it but have to say, it would take quite a bit to convince me to go back to Windows.
I'm not a 'computer guy' by any stretch but have done enough with it to say the people that put it together have it sorted, it isn't something that you have to be a hacker to use. I guess that's my way of saying it might take a little head scratching here and there but, I think you'll like it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Considering the above posts. I'm open for U2U's If you would like some help please don't RUN with the live CD without help. Linux Is a major change from windows. Ubuntu Is an amazing OS that can help transition you from windows into the linux world. You will need help if your serious about taking on another OS.

Should have said this before. You wont lose windows if you install the ubuntu live cd correctly. You'll have dual boot for both operating systems.

edit on 12/21/2010 by madmangunradio because: Grammer DAMN public schooling

edit on 12/21/2010 by madmangunradio because: public schooling ^ I sux

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Thanks so much for the responses my friends, I know I have learned a bit all ready. From what I have gathered this is a baby step or like learner step up to the big dog Linux which Im guessing is its own little world.

I do have some puter brain power, so I understand saving to a live disk. I might u2u someone to make sure I have the install part right!

I guess the real question I should be asking now is more about Linux as that seems would be the ultimate goal yes? Guess I will go research that bit and see if I want to go in that direction at all.

Thanks so much for the help. If anyone has any pro and con about Linux please share.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I prefer Linux Mint it is a downstream version that is based off of Ubuntu so it shares the same repositories as Ubuntu does. But Linux Mint also created a new debian release that is not tied into into the same realease cycle as ubuntu. I like the green theme look of Mint over Ubuntu orange brown. Mint also comes with all the codex's to play mp3 and dvd's already installed so you don't have to fetch those packages.
Ubuntu was my first intro to linux and I love it for that but I have moved and grown to love Linux Mint.
linuxmint.com...

edit on 23-12-2010 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Glad to see all these Linux users on here. I have been using Ubuntu for two years and have installed it on about fifteen other computers. Linux is extremely customizable, so you can literally make it look like any OS you want or create your own setup. From a financial standpoint, the ability to acquire most, if not all, of your software for free is a no brainer. Likewise, you can run a good portion of your Windows aps under Wine or through a VM (as someone pointed out) - however, have some memory if you VM it.

Also, long gone are the days of wrestling with anti-virus software, firewalls, defragging, and having to tweak your registry. That alone is a good reason to switch.

Here is a list of websites that I visit daily to keep up to speed on things:

Webupd8
OMG Ubuntu
Tech Drive-In

Obviously, that is geared towards Ubuntu, but there are many other sites worth mentioning. I would like to hear from others if they have some good sites, too.

Also, this is very important if you decide to install a Linux Distro - google the following phrase:

what to install after installing ubuntu 10.10

Replace Ubuntu 10.10 with whatever distro you are using. This is critical to get all the codecs and utilities to make your setup sing.

Feel free to U2U me, as well. Always looking to help spread Linux.
edit on 7-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: added info

edit on 7-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Linux is great there are so many thing I have grown to love about it.
I love that the security is far superior to windows and that there is no problem with worms, malware, and viruses.
I love that I can have multiple desktops.
I love the wobbly windows and when ever I go use a computer without it the experience seems weird.
I love that the repos have so many applications that I don't even run wine.
I love that without any program I can go to the temp directory and retrieve flash files of you tube videos and then with a program called sound converter convert them to mp3's.

I use to think macs and osx was great but now I just think they are overpriced and locked down with restrictions that you don't find in linux distros.
After using ubuntu and linux mint for two years I think windows is utter crap the only good thing about it is that it can run some programs that linux can not but that has more to do with the software companies catering to windows and osx.
My computer is mine not some corporations there are no backdoors in linux.

Microsoft has manged to sell an overpriced lemon polished up to look like a flashy OS to the public.
Yet not only does the public have to buy Windows they also have to pay for all of the security and
antivirus programs for something that has more security holes in it than swiss cheese.
I smirk every time I see some commercial about some program to fix your computer because it is running to slow. Its not the computer thats running slow its the operating system

Yet microsoft has left an impression in the minds of average computer users that viruses bugs and computers slowing down are perfectly normal when its not because these things don't happen on a linux box.
It's ironic that something that cost zero dollars and has many applications that are free is superior to something that cost $119 dollars and even more money to fix and maintain with all the additional security programs.

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." Steve Ballmer Microsoft CEO
edit on 7-2-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

The reason why Linux isn't more widely adopted for the desktop is there is no standardization. Different GUIs, different package management, different installation methods, some distros you still have compile graphics drivers and the kernel to get it to work.

Ubuntu is moving on to it's own thing with Unity in 11.04 that comes out this spring. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Ubuntu is the flagship of the linux fleet they almost had a chance to grab the desktop market with netbooks
but they fumbled and windows moved in quickly to fill the gap.
With mobile devices becoming more popular the desktop at some point in the future might be irrelevant.
However Android which is also linux is all over the mobile market with smartphones and samsung is even introducing a tablet that runs Android to compete against the Ipad.
There was talk that Ubuntu was even going to make there own tablet but I have not heard anything more of it lately.

Even the fastest super computer in the world is running linux

China has the top supercomputer in the world, but it still runs Linux
blogs.computerworld.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join