It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 85
<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
6.0 in Japan

Magnitude Mw 6.0
Region EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN
Date time 2011-04-01 11:57:53.0 UTC
Location 39.38 N ; 141.93 E
Depth 35 km
Distances 76 km SE Morioka (pop 295,172 ; local time 20:57:53.7 2011-04-01)
3 km NE Otsuchi (pop 16,497 ; local time 20:57:53.7 2011-04-01)

www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Hmm,.
4.1 in Wyoming,. near Yellowstone?

I saw this quake pop up. Isn't this a pretty significant quake for this area?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Your link does not work and there is no information i the source code of the page to be able to work out what it was.

I found this article and was wondering if this was what you were linking to?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

then your predictions are quite on time.

i mentioned this quake because, yes its been quite some time that greece had a big one and maybe there will be more activity in this area,you as a watcher, what happens normally after the 3 years big quake?

I also noticed the quake was followed by a 4.8 in afghanistan(also been some time there)
eurasian plate activity i would say.
im going to follow the activity on this plate for the next weeks and check some earlier data, info always welcome.

USGS hmmm yes, can some one explain why so many times the magnitudes are up-downgraded?
(data from different stations maybe?) If the needle points 6... its 6 ? no?
or is it like when your mesure a stick of 1,000m. the next time it will be 1.001m or 0,999m?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

What you missed the 4.4 earlier??

About 100 miles south of the centre of the park.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire

then your predictions are quite on time.

i mentioned this quake because, yes its been quite some time that greece had a big one and maybe there will be more activity in this area,you as a watcher, what happens normally after the 3 years big quake?

Well normally nothing much, but I would not like to say that this is always the case. I only have data over the past 10 years that I have looked at, and of course that may just be a foreshock to a bigger one. I was expecting between 6.5 and 7.3

USGS hmmm yes, can some one explain why so many times the magnitudes are up-downgraded?
(data from different stations maybe?) If the needle points 6... its 6 ? no?
or is it like when your mesure a stick of 1,000m. the next time it will be 1.001m or 0,999m?

No, it is not that simple! Would that it was. Most of these are done by computer, and probably with different software. It is very technical and there are all sorts of parameters to be taken into account. You have to know the instrument responses, pole and zeros and other maths stuff that is beyond me (which is probably why they use computers!) and then it is a matter of a form of triangulation. The more stations form which they receive a signal the more 'accurate' the result should be in theory, but remember that they are giving the epicentre whereas the hypocentre is deep in the earth. There is all sorts of margin for errors and differences.

By the way they do sometimes go up as well!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Some more Infos for you from Germany.

Since our Politicans want to test if our Nuclear Plants are safe,if a Quake happens that could be even higher than the Japan 9.0 (they really said that during a Live Press Conference
)...do they know something?

I tried to find some Historic Records and found some things.

This ZIP contains Infos about some bigger Eartquakes that happened in Germany since Year 800...suprise,we had a 6.8 in the Year 1692,and maybe even higher ones...

Here are two Maps with known Quakes from 800 to 2007 (2010 for 6.5 and higher...which aren´t exactly rare looking at the Map)

Here are more Links for Historic Data about Germany and Europe.

Have Fun

Edit: I´m trying to look for more Info,since we have a (inactive?) Fault-Line running between Germany and France/Belgium/Netherlands
edit on 1-4-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
Phase Data from NOA (National Observatory of Athens)

6.2 ML

www.gein.noa.gr...

I was 4 days behind

There was a little bit of activity in the 4 days prior to this, relatively speaking , a couple of 3's W of Karpathos
Greece Map 7 days
(I haven't put the 6.2 on yet, update later)

Just a 4.2 aftershock so far according to NOA

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You, or y'all, might be interested in this answer I have just given to someone on another thread

It is a graph of energy released for quakes above 6.5 for each year from 1960 to 2010.

It is a bit quick as I explain in the post.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I had a look

Energy wise that 2004 Indonesian 9.0 was just a tiddler, compared to the 1960 Chile 9.6 and the 1964 Alaskan 9.2 eh !

Did the 8.0 in Peru and the 8.2 Chile aftershock contribute to make the 1960 energy count so huge?

I wonder where the Japan 2011 9.0 will come in in comparison ( I'm sure you already have posted that somewhere)
edit on 1-4-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
That o/s Karpathos 6.2 got a 6.3ML from the Turks ( Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Bogazici University )
www.koeri.boun.edu.tr...

5.9 my arse! (usgs) , I see alot more 6+ readings in the phase data than high 5's. neic.usgs.gov...

The EMSC Felt Reports map is quite a good idea (and a chuckle) www.emsc-csem.org...
eg.

Observation Posted at : 2011/04/01 17:38
Latitude : 38.05 Longitude : 23.80
Distance to epicenter : 375.97 Km
Region : Attikí City : Amaroúsion
Comments from witness; No effect here for sure.

edit on 1-4-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Lots of little tremors in So Cal all at once

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Esp in the Salton Sea.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

time sensitive for red squares, too busy here for screens

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
2011/04/01 05:58:49 54.87N 90.37W 18.0* 2.8MN 120 km N from Kitchenuhmaykoosib,ON
2011/04/01 04:32:26 54.88N 90.42W 18.0* 2.3MN 120 km N from Kitchenuhmaykoosib,ON
2011/04/01 04:31:05 54.87N 90.37W 18.0* 2.1MN 120 km N from Kitchenuhmaykoosib,ON

Source

Ontario/Quebec quakes seem to be pushing further north, this little cluster is the furthest north I have seen since the beginning of March. (Furthest North in Ontario, I should say)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I am sorry if this is a little off topic, but because Fracking has been known to "lead to quakes" I wanted to share this text about Arkansas and many of the earthquake swarms there.

Arkansas Earthquake "Swarms" Since October 2010, the town of Guy, Arkansas has experienced hundreds of small, but felt, earthquakes, sometimes coming at a rate of three or four per minute. Seismic researchers at the Arkansas Geological Survey (AGS) have been investigating this earthquake "swarm," the largest of which was a "moderate" size 4.0 magnitude quake on October 11 and more recently, a 4.3 magnitude on February 18, 2011. In the past six years, nearly 3,700 natural gas wells have been drilled and fracked in the Arkansas Fayetteville Shale field, most of them in a four-county area of which the town of Guy is almost dead-centre. There are at least six disposal wells within a 500-square-mile zone around Guy.

Some of the disposal wells have reportedly been injected with more than 10.5 million gallons of fracking wastewater each month in recent years. On October 15, Scott Ausbrooks, AGS geohazards supervisor, said, "What we believe is happening is when the old [fracking flowback] water is put into the deeper [disposal] wells, it reduces the friction in the fault [fault-line]. This doesn't cause a quake, it just speeds up the process. The quake will happen somewhere down the line anyway, but this process may be making them happen sooner."

I bolded the part I found most interesting. Since the earth is clearly in a fragile state and is having a "temper tantrum" so to speak. Is it possible that many of these are only occurring because of the damage man has done.
(The link I provided shows a map of the North American Fracking Feilds [potential/functional])

WaterShed - Does Fracking Cause Earthquakes

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
further to post by muzzy

Some where between Divounia and Armathia Islands

Heres the epicenters located by the various Networks
Interactive Map Karpathos Epicenters

With the depths at anything between 12 and 80km I guess a 37km spread of locations acceptable

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Just to give an appreciation of how large that 1960 quake was I have done this little graph. This is quakes over 7.5 Mag, and shows the ones you mentioned as yes the figure included those of course. You can see how little they contributed!

I had to stretch this to make them show at all. The others (red) are the Chile 2, Banda Aceh and Tokohu quakes for comparison.

The quakes in 1960 are 7.5, 7.8, 8.2, 7.9, 9.5, 7.8

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/396d4c50980d.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f3c361360076.jpg[/atsimg]

Quoting this as tons of TNT as per the (Recently revised) Wikipedia table

Chile 1960 6.6 Giga tons
Tokohu (they are calling Sendai) 0.476 Giga tons

'Sticky' has added magnitude scales to the examples and has reduced the 32 Mag starquake to 22.7 Mag

edit on 2/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

I'm an avid follower of these threads and really love the amount of work you all put into them.

I got a little App on my new phone just before the Big Quake in Japan and have been following quakes as much as my knowledge of them allows me too.

Last night before I went to bed, I was looking at a map of the Ring of Fire on my phone and it was of course lit up like a Christmas Tree. I can understand that this is probably quite normal and I also have my filters set to show me 1 mag Quakes upwards.

But I remember a member mentioning maybe westcoast, that around the time of the Big Japan Quake, or just after, the West Coast of America seemed oddly quiet for a bit.

So I thought, wouldn't it be cool if someone could make a Gif that would show Quakes starting from the Big One in Japan, or the day before, up until now, happening specifically around the Ring of Fire. To see if there is a clockwise pattern or domino effect happening.

This is way beyond my capabilities and is probably a huge amount of work. So just throwing the idea out there.
edit on 2-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Well you are right about that being a massive amount of work. Too much to contemplate just at present but an interesting exercise.

I would seriously recommend that you set the filters on that app to only show 5+ otherwise you will be inundated with data every day. Anything under 5 is not worth bothering with UNLESS you have a specific area of concern such as Arkansas. For a general overview of what is going on 5+ is adequate.

You won't have experienced it on the app but consider another Baja California. You would be getting well over 600 hits a day.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

ok thanks, i am going to take a look at those graphs and historic data and try to match them with planetary alignments-activity, solar activity, passing comets,...or the many other things i am missing.
i think i will need some explanations and have some more questions about those graphs, but first i will try it myself.

i am not sure there will be connections but i always thought the universe is connected is some kind of way that everything effects everything. as in action-reaction, even over a long time period. 'still thinking alot'

i know its difficult to predict earthquakes, but in my eyes not impossible. something has to be the trigger.

i will post my thoughts later here or is there another topic where we can share thoughts?

my apologies about my english

cheers

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

If it is about earthquakes then this is the place to discuss it.

There is also a rather underused but still valuable [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread629407/pg1]Geophysics thread for when things get away from pure earthquakes.

I am assuming that you are apologising for your English as it is not your first language, if so please do not apologise. If it is your first language - then apologise away however I must say I saw nothing wrong with it!

edit on 2/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join