It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 189
<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Mindoro Phillipines just had a 5.1

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 5.1 Date-Time Friday, August 12, 2011 at 02:29:34 UTC Friday, August 12, 2011 at 10:29:34 AM at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones Location 13.364°N, 120.932°E Depth 218.7 km (135.9 miles) Region MINDORO, PHILIPPINES Distances 25 km (15 miles) W of Calapan, Mindoro, Philippines 46 km (28 miles) SSW of Batangas, Luzon, Philippines 138 km (85 miles) S of MANILA, Philippines 164 km (101 miles) WSW of San Pedro, Luzon, Philippines Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 15.8 km (9.8 miles); depth +/- 9.4 km (5.8 miles) Parameters NST=159, Nph=161, Dmin=944 km, Rmss=1.2 sec, Gp= 50°, M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=8 Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D) Location: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D) Event ID usc0005csh

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Just a curious note. The Nicaragua and the Philipines quake were roughly around the same latitude, were roughly the same size, and they came within seven minutes of each other. Odd is all.

I sure it's just random. Enjoy the moon. The full moon in August is given the name berry moon by the Anishnaabe people of Canada. We're out on the far end of our trip around the sun. The moon has slightly less pull this time of the year. Tonight I spied it within a gap in the clouds. It looked like a giant eye.

www.theweathernetwork.com...

There's loons where I live. Have you ever heard a loon? Besides what I have to say. They're incredible.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 11-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
observation about post by muzzy

Hmmmmmmm
I deleted that map from my album, but its still there on the page.

Revised version below, a bit more in the style of the Russian Academy of Sciences who have that quake as a 4.8 BTW

Wonder what went wrong in Taiwan? political snipe at the mainland? siesmos set to hairtrigger leve?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

So, have we decided what that quake was? A 4.8 or an 8.4?

Actually if you look at LISS it was certainly no where near a 7 by any stretch of the imagination. It is my feeling that USGS have it about right.

On a completely different subject

The occurrence of the earthquake coincided almost exactly with the appearence of a bright meteor over much of the affected area This is not the only instance of such a coincidence, but it is the best observed one.

The BGS new site format I love because you can not paste directly into a database with it, but in addition to that they have got all the historic and significant quakes in a similar format. The one above is:

Hereford 1896

Electric connections between the meteor and the earthquake???

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yes the BGS new site is brilliant, much more better and informative

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aromaz

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Have I got in first this time?

GFZ Potsdam - Earthquake Bulletin
F-E Region: Xizang
Time: 2011-08-11 22:01:34.1 UTC
Magnitude: 7.2
Epicenter: 86.83°E 29.88°N
Depth: 74 km

geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

edit on 11-8-2011 by angelchemuel because: Forgot link

Just for the sake of interest; this quake is in Tibet.

Nearby to this is the holy mountain called 'Targo Gangri Ri'.

To the West is Forbidden Lake Shun Tso. Tibet has about 200 lakes of which nine are considered holy but only two where outsiders are not allowed to go. This lake is fiercly protected and to the best of what I know - no outsider ever reached there - not even the Chinese.

The reason, little known - some very strange artifacts were found around this mountain and lake, what exactly I do not know (yet). I suspect the three Holy Brass Bowls of Tibet were found in this area. Presently two temples in Tibet has one bowl each, the third from Lhasa probbaly went with the Dalai Lama to Nepal is is hidden somewhere there.

It is said (prophesy) that when this mountain makes fire (Volcano?), the bowls will be re-united and war in the world will stop. Or it could also be that when the bowls will be united when there is a fire in the mountian and war will end. Somewhat strange to understand the chronology of these ancient writings.

The bowls: Well, they are the first original Tibet Singing Bowls and their appearance dates back to the Third Buddha. These singing bowls do have a kind of strange effect on us humans. I have quite a collection of the Thai version and 6 pieces bowls from Tibet/Nepal. Honestly I think they are like a drug addiction to me!

edit on 11/8/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

I have a tibetan bowl too, and they are mesmeric when you just sit there and 'play' them. I also have the tiang bells (I think they are called). I use them both to show my students when their 'energy field' or aura is not clear the bowls or bells have a horrible resonance, when the energy field is clear they ring beautifully! I have a wonderful meditation CD that works through each of the tones of the scale corresponding to each of our chakras...quite an experience.....but not for this thread, unless we all go round with our bowls trying to placate EQ's and volcanoes to be a little gentler on us humans!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

The loons are beautiful! One of my favourite scenes from On Golden Pond is when Kathryn Hepburn answers them...brings a tear to my eye every time!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Hi Jane...I think your on to something...I believe that positive energy could be transferred through this process you speak of. I believe the vibration of positive energy and LOVE would be a wonderful thing to try. What do we have to loose at this point. Peace, Paula

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Yes, I agree BGS is better, but have they 'moved' Market Rasen yet?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Thank you, but I cannot take credit, it is something that has been practiced for eons and something I have seen first hand sooooo many times that works. I must admit that Aromaz' post immediately reminded me of that scene from 2012 where the tibetan monk is striking the bell.
Sorry to be off post here guys but it makes a nice respite for a moment from all that is going on.
I understand that earlier this year some of the highest tibetan monks disappeared into a sacred cave in the area that Aromaz talks about. Some Russian scientists were allowed close by to record the noises that were coming from inside, that according to the monks the cave makes itself, and when it does they believe the earth is warning of an imminent earth event.....this was just before the Japanese quake. Here is the link, enjoy. PuterMan...you might like listening to this, also there is an intro with LISS charts etc and link I believe to sound charts.

www.youtube.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Don't think so . I am still download the seismogram every day and it has not 'failed' yet which it would do if off line and here I am assuming it would take them more than a day to get it moved and reinstalled.

PuterMan...you might like listening to this

I have done so many weeks ago. Not impressed as far as I recall.

ETA: I should clarify. Being a right sceptical (or skeptical for our American friends) old fart. The description you gave

earlier this year some of the highest tibetan monks disappeared into a sacred cave in the area that Aromaz talks about. Some Russian scientists were allowed close by to record the noises that were coming from inside

has many holes it. So let me see, the monks went into the cave. The Russian scientists recorded the sound, which conveniently started after the monks went into the cave and runs for a while and then dies away. We have no details what so ever of any controls over this experiment. Could the scientists record the sound when the monks were NOT in the cave? Could this be heard outside the cave? Could the source of the sound be pin-pointed? What equipment was used and what filters if any were applied. Is this the raw sound exactly as recorded? etc etc.

The spectrum analysis of the sound runs from 94Hz to 913Hz in very distinct bands. None of these match earthquake frequencies, but could be harmonics of them. Was any note taken of Solar activity at the time and resonance in the magnetosphere? Were any readings of the magnetic or electromagnetic spectrum taken in the cave?

And so on, and so on. It is a VERY poorly conducted experiment like most science these days and has room for so much fiddling, like most science these days, that it is not possible to accept the findings without proper validation.

edit on 12/8/2011 by PuterMan because: 'Cos I am a grumpy old git and need proper validated proof, OK?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by muzzy

So, have we decided what that quake was? A 4.8 or an 8.4?

Actually if you look at LISS it was certainly no where near a 7 by any stretch of the imagination. It is my feeling that USGS have it about right.

On a completely different subject

The occurrence of the earthquake coincided almost exactly with the appearence of a bright meteor over much of the affected area This is not the only instance of such a coincidence, but it is the best observed one.

The BGS new site format I love because you can not paste directly into a database with it, but in addition to that they have got all the historic and significant quakes in a similar format. The one above is:

Hereford 1896

Electric connections between the meteor and the earthquake???

I've seen meteors every night now for the last two weeks. Tonight is the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower. But the damn moon is in the way. Just before dawn will be the best time to see them.

www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=perseid_meteor_shower_peaks__110811?ref=ccbox_weather_topstories

edit on 12-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Clarification of idiotic error in post by PuterMan

I said

The BGS new site format I love because you can not paste directly into a database

No - STUPID!!

The BGS new site format I love because you can paste directly into a database.

edit on 12/8/2011 by PuterMan because: Edited to play with the top link.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I thought you were talking about a recent quake and therefore I was dismissing the meteor since we're experiencing a meteor shower. But when I double checked, I realized the quake you were referring to was over a hundred years ago, and in December. There are meteor showers in December as well.

But I began to wonder if meteors could in fact cause earthquakes. My first thought is that they are often too small to cause any real effect. Then I remembered a video I posted recently to describe my emotional state as I came back to earth after a mental vacation. Meteors may be a trigger. Watch the following video and maybe you'll figure it out.

www.youtube.com...

www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=investigating_bcs_big_one_120811?ref=ccbox_weather_topstories
edit on 12-8-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

4.5 according to GFZ now
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

Must hav ebeen a malfunction of the Taiwan stations

Not a complete waste of time though, to create those maps I used my World Station List and being in Notepad format it takes a while. I've rehashed it into Excel csv, easier to find the codes now and copy and paste the co-ords to build the GPS file. 12,329 stations

Heres the file for anyone who can make use of it. Not 100% complete, I lost the elevations of some NZ and Australian stations in the conversion.
World Station List V.2 csv file

yeah BGS looks tidier now.
No 7's eh?
Was watching TV show on Scotland last night, volcanos in the Hebrides Is
, and the Caledonia Rift Fault, some great aerial photography,

edit on 12-8-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

No 7's eh?

Ah, but I never said they were going to be today.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

When I say "reputable sources" I'm pretty much referring to the AP. No, they have not had one piece that says "2011: The Year of Change" or anything like that. But they have had countless stories about climate issues gone awry. Yes, there have been record storms, record temperatures, record droughts, record floods, record tornadoes record animal die-offs, many times throughout history, but all at the same time? All within the same year?

And if we can't say that earthquakes are happening more frequently this year, can't we at least say they are popping up in more unusual places this year? I read stores from local papers in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, all saying that people were rattled as they aren't used to earthquakes occurring in their area. Yes, it happens. But all those different anomalous areas in the same year?

Yes, of course, the Earth has seen this before. Yes, our time here is insignificant compared to the time that she has seen. But, my concern is within the context of our current civilization. What may be perfectly well and good for Earth is not necessarily so for me. I mean, I trust that the Earth knows what she is doing. But I don't expect her to take my welfare in to any kind of consideration, especially not above her own. When I say "something different is going on here" I generally mean different than anything I have ever known or heard first accounts of.

My intuition told me that change was coming before the change actually started coming. The headlines only confirmed what my gut already knew. I'm not being led in to this way of thinking whatsoever. Aside from mainstream headlines being riddled with one climate record-breaker after the other, my suspicions are justified by my own specific observation. I can see the changes here, in my own neck of the woods. Personal observation used to count for something. Until the internet introduced the "it's nothing new, you're just hearing about it more" bit.

The Internet is not so new anymore. And when climatologists use the words "record-breaking" or "not for over 50 years" Not for over 100 years" or "Not for over 500 years" or "Never in recorded history" - I believe they know what they're talking about. And when all these different scientists are saying this stuff within the same immediate time period, I tend to think that a bigger cyclical issue may be at hand. Aside from all known cycles coming to a head right now...

I assume you have seen the same headlines I have referred to. I apologize that I do not have the time to go and track them all down. But they are out there. All mainstream. Most being Associated Press. I have probably linked them in previous threads.

I brought up changes in space weather earlier. The most interesting thing I read was about sun-diving comets. How an unprecedented amount were being seen. I believe the NASA article noted 25 in a single day. Again, not so much on its own. But with EVERYTHING else...

And yes, there is something about that comet. I don't know what. But when I happened upon the information of Elenin, something just clicked. Like magic. No, nothing like science. Not anything you could count on unless you knew me. But it's why I joined this website. It's why so many others have joined this website. I was looking for answers because I knew something was going on. I believe they said there has been a huge jump in numbers in the last year. It's the force. Electromagnetic changes. Our pituitary glands. You get my drift...

Intuition can trump reason. And I am beginning to think it should.

When I said "hope you're not offended" about emergency preparedness, I know you wouldn't be offended. I was just being an obnoxious girly-girl and using some cheeky phrasing. I guess my verbiage would better received if it were in person.

Some people consider things only in terms of science. I am not one of those people. I love science but I think of it as a means, not an end. I approach information philosophically. I am on a quest. I have to remain open-minded no matter how much certainty my limited perception fools me in to thinking I possess.

I am certain of nothing. But I have an overwhelming sense that change is coming. I did not go in to this believing that it was climate related. But that was the change that started becoming apparent to me. And so I have been working on connecting the dots.

I recognize the changes within the moral sciences as well. But I really do believe in Supervenience. As above, so below. What we are seeing on the ground, is indicative of a bigger picture. When those changes commence, mankind's decisions will be made for them.

I appreciate people like you. People of steadfast science. And I believe you are one of the most open-minded of that lot. People like you ground people like me. It's all good.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

When I say "reputable sources" I'm pretty much referring to the AP.

Associated Press. Mmm can the words press and reputable go together I ask myself, is that not an oxymoron?

.....many times throughout history, but all at the same time? All within the same year?

How would 'we' know? This is the whole point. There have without a doubt been these things happening all the time, but now we get an information overload about them. By the way does the AP or any other news source post that we have not had any big earthquakes for 8 days? No. That does not sell papers! People don't want to know about the good stuff.

And if we can't say that earthquakes are happening more frequently this year, can't we at least say they are popping up in more unusual places this year? I read stories from local papers in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, all saying that people were rattled as they aren't used to earthquakes occurring in their area. Yes, it happens. But all those different anomalous areas in the same year?

I am tempted to answer 'fracking'. However it is not quite as straight forward as that. USA is basically one huge shale basin, or a very substantial part of it is and it is ALL interconnected. Nothing anomalous about those areas. That is the nature of shale. 'Fracking', or pressure variations, could even be extended to include the GOM.

.....my suspicions are justified by my own specific observation. I can see the changes here, in my own neck of the woods. Personal observation used to count for something. ....

And indeed it still does, and I don't take any notice of the 'you are just hearing about it more' although that IS very true. There are changes, for example our summers and winters have changed. I observe this. We used to have hot summers and very cold winters. There is little difference between them now, but that is changing again. Sorry but these cycles are way outside any internet news period and the lifetimes of most people. Go to written history to see what climate was like and will be again.

And when climatologists use the words "record-breaking" or "not for over 50 years" Not for over 100 years" or "Not for over 500 years" or "Never in recorded history" - I believe they know what they're talking about.

I don't. Even the ones that 'appear' to know what they are talking about have been found out as wrong or just fraudulent.

And when all these different scientists are saying this stuff within the same immediate time period, I tend to think that a bigger cyclical issue may be at hand.

Yup, it is called the cycle of job security, otherwise known as the gravy train. If your family depended on your job would you say nothing was wrong and risk losing funding? It is a most regrettable fact that these days many people are not honest and do not tell the truth, that people are out for their own gain and what they can get, and that the 'community' is down the pan.

The most interesting thing I read was about sun-diving comets. How an unprecedented amount were being seen. I believe the NASA article noted 25 in a single day. Again, not so much on its own. But with EVERYTHING else...

Consider this. As with earthquakes the observation of comets in such minute detail is a relatively recent thing.

You don't have to go back very far in earthquake records to come to an un-instrumented full stop and rely on anecdote - otherwise known as written history. About 100 years that is all. Of that 100 years of seismology it would be reasonable to say that only that past 50 years has had reliable instrumentation, and only the past 10 years has covered most of the globe.

Now apply that to solar observation and tell me that the number of sun-diving comets is unprecedented. In what 10 or at most 20 years?

The twin STEREO (Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory) spacecraft were launched Wednesday, October 25th, 2006 at 8:52 p.m. EDT on a Delta II 7925-10L rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

Source

That is no criterion to go by. Was there a huge number 50 years ago? What material have we passed through in space, or are passing through? NASA is like a junior programmer thinking he knows all about T-SQL because he can write a basic SELECT statement.

Until people started going OMG on the Internet about sun diving comets NASA and astronomers never paid them any attention.

Electromagnetic changes. Our pituitary glands. You get my drift... ...Intuition can trump reason...

Honestly? No. I have looked at all the chakra, third eye, New World airy fairy metaphysical stuff and it does nothing for me. We are connected and we are connected to our Mother the Earth. Many have lost that connection by urbanised conformity and that is much of the reason for the current ills. I lived in a city for 6 years. Appalling place, nothing but traffic noise and light. Never again.

Intuition is guessing, and sometimes people can make good guesses, but when you analyse it there are reasons. The brain is a simply phenomenal processing system. We store and process huge amounts of information - one of the reasons information overload is so dangerous. How many times have you not been able to remember something and 2 days later it has popped up - often at a completely unconnected moment? We may not be as fast as computers but we are so much better at making decisions (good and bad!
) which may seem as if based on intuition, but are actually based on reason.

But I really do believe in Supervenience.

Had to look that one up! Sorry I am a practical person and do not go in for all this philosophical, meta-physical, psychological stuff. I am not saying it is rubbish, it does does nothing for me personally. I guess you would consider my world is very black and white, but that is the way it is. I have little time for grey mushiness.

I appreciate people like you. People of steadfast science. And I believe you are one of the most open-minded of that lot. People like you ground people like me. It's all good.

I thank you for that and hope the the revelations above have not spoilt that for you!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
2011-08-13 07:33:09.0
2hr 23min ago 14.52 N 94.63 W 20 mb 5.8 OFF COAST OF CHIAPAS, MEXICO 2011-08-13 09:50
2011-08-13 07:22:00.1
2hr 35min ago 30.76 N 162.20 E 33 mb 5.8 NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 13-8-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Just thought some of you may be interested in how long (number of days) fell between mag 6 plus quakes last year. More than I remembered as it seems, the longest being 14 days.

ETA: Here is 2009, with 17 as the max

Sorry about the different formatting but I have not done the ordinal days in 2009 yet,

edit on 13/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join