It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet running out of IPs in 62 days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Internet running out of IPs in 62 days

translate.google.com

The Internet is about to run out of IP addresses (internet protocol - sort of phone number for PCs, mobile phones and the like).

At the moment there are 90,257,600 IP addresses available. This will be used up within 62 days, according to calculations carried out by Hurricane Electric.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Hurricane Electric
edit on 18-12-2010 by Vicodin because: oO

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
At the company's Twitter account states: Twitter

"It's about 62 days left to IPocalyse. "

This means that the internet as we know it, may have reached its preliminary peak about two months.

Around February 2011

translate.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-12-2010 by Vicodin because: Oo

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Huh. I wonder precisely how much hurricane electric gets from each IP address bought...

and how profitable it is when people go out and panic-buy IP addresses in case of an IP drought.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

It's not a critical factor anymore really, since all ISPs have IPv6 running side-by-side IPv4 (so does Win7 default config). What i don't like about IPv6 is the privacy issues that nobody addressed. I think the plan is to make everyone a lot easier to trace and snoop on. For this reason I usually disable IPv6 and just run IPv4.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They might be running out of IPs now but they should be able to add numbers.
Mathematically, you can't 'run out'.
Unless all the programming was coded for a certain amount of numbers.

They'll just add another dot and a few more numbers.
We shall see I guess.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
Huh. I wonder precisely how much hurricane electric gets from each IP address bought...

and how profitable it is when people go out and panic-buy IP addresses in case of an IP drought.

got to love artificial scarcity.

if things like these happened really we would have run out of license plate numbers for cars a while ago.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Ugh, not this again. If people took the time to properly construct networks this would be even less of an issue than it currently isn't. By using proper private IP addresses instead of giving every toaster, oven and kitchen sink a public address they used a private IP such as 192.168.0.7 then this would be less of a concern because only internet facing border routers would need to have a public address and thus not waste valuable addresses on stupid things. Unfortunately the morons who are pushing this networked home nonsense are exacerbating the issue by demanding that everything suddenly be online, even the refrigerator in your kitchen. Yes eventaully the internet will no longer have any open addresses in the IPv4 scheme, but if people used a little bit of common sense when designing networks IPv6 could be a nice gentle roll out instead of some panic-and-fear fueled frenzy of stupid that will cause headaches for lots of people.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The amount of numbers one is able to generate is infinite. Acting as if it is limited is indeed generating artificial scarcity.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
They can simply tack on another 3 digits..problem solved

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So there really is an end to the internet!

I knew it!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Its not as simple as simply adding three digits on, you would have to update EVERY single computer, router, access point and firewall in existence to understand the updated protocol, and if you think that the number of public IP addresses is large you don't really want to try to wrap your head around how many systems are out there without a public address working in the back of some server farm to make sure you can still access your facebook, myspace, or even this site.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
People are confusing two distinct issues: a mathematical limit and a protocol limit. Obviously, mathematically, there is no limit to the amount of numbers we can have. But the current standard Internet Protocol (IPv4) uses a 32bit number to represent an IP address.

So it’s not as simple as “just adding another number,” as it would break the protocol and things wouldn’t work. This is not an ‘internet apocalypse’ by any means, as there are ways to fix this — there is already an IPv6 protocol which uses 128bit addresses — but it requires an overhaul of all internet infrastructures and software (routers, autonomous systems, DNS servers, even individual operating systems — especially older versions).

edit on 18-12-2010 by aptness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Just imagine that. No more IPs. LOL, that can't happen! Then internet sales will rise-.....

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Actually they can't do that with the current protocol scheme.

You see, an IP address is actually a 32 bit number divided up into 4 "octets". This number is used in all sorts of programmatic ways which would break if you attempted what you suggested.

Think Y2K.... on a much grander and real scale....

This is why IPv6 was developed... its been real slow in being adopted, but it is, as another poster put it, being deployed side by side... yet it's still NOT the main protocol.. everything is STILL built on IPv4... and lots of people are still playing catchup at the network level, like vendors who make network devices.

Until you receive IPv6 addresses from DNS, IPv4 will reign.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by aptness

you are correct.

but still like many of the world's issues, it's not about a shortage at all.
it's about hoarding, misuse and a general poor distribution of the resource,
in this case numbers.

you are running out of new numbers to assign, but there are millions not used available to buy at private companies like the one mentioned up above.

this is like any other prediction on ATS that comes attached with a fixed date..

yeah right

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

You see, an IP address is actually a 32 bit number divided up into 4 "octets". This number is used in all sorts of programmatic ways which would break if you attempted what you suggested.

This is why IPv6 was developed... its been real slow in being adopted, but it is, as another poster put it, being deployed side by side... yet it's still NOT the main protocol.. everything is STILL built on IPv4... and lots of people are still playing catchup at the network level, like vendors who make network devices.

Actually IPv6 has been adopted. It is the official protocol for the internet and has been for some years. The problem is it has not been fully implemented. If you have windows XP on you have IPv6 as well as v4. The problem is routers. I still use in my house an old wireless router. Some time back things started getting locked up and I found that one of the web sites I was going to used IPv6 so I disabled the IPv6 on my computer to force the IPv4 and my router stopped locking up. No problem since. I tell you this because as IPv6 implementation continues will will start to see more and more of these problems.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well we can always start selling .kom or maybe .ats domains

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

What he said. There is a limit and it is approaching. The Internet will still function anyone thinking otherwise shouldn't be using a computer.

brill

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
People asking them to add a (dot) and more (Numbers) are well nuts it cant be done with the IPv4 the internet will soon reach its climax after that some people cannot/server cooperation create n store information, the internet would halt expansion but ofc information could still be edited so new things is sure come. but there is a solution IPv6, also got 1000 x billions IP addresses the problem is people and internet supplier is to slow when it comes to replacing ipv4 with ipv6 so the expert fears breakdown when every try to aquire ipv6 at the same time

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
Its not as simple as simply adding three digits on, you would have to update EVERY single computer, router, access point and firewall in existence to understand the updated protocol, and if you think that the number of public IP addresses is large you don't really want to try to wrap your head around how many systems are out there without a public address working in the back of some server farm to make sure you can still access your facebook, myspace, or even this site.

aka, a economic boom worldwide then...

and how is this not obvious?

we can't wait around for the year 3000 for another y2k synthetic boom!!!

<<   2 >>

join