It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow Watch... UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Im posting this thread for UK members to keep informed for travel purposes etc with the deluge of snow at the moment.

Anyone thinking of travelling to the West Midlands over the holidays should not bother at the moment.

The roads are very bad, the buses have been cancelled.

In the last 4 hours we have had 30cm of snow dumped on us and it does not look like its stopping today.

Please keep a lookout for vunerable neighbours and family and stay safe.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I don't think we need a thread for this.

There's snow, let's get over it already.

If you're thinking of travelling, don't bother, stay warm, all common sense really.

Yet the media keep banging on about it constantly as if it's the end of the world.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Its lnformation from local sources and not someone sat in an office

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
So what i have been saying in this thread is coming true:

Humans are accelerating themselves towards an Ice Age.

I meant U.K. there instead of England on that thread, i was little confused because i am not from that part of the world. In coming years conditions like that will become common around the world as the ocean currents worldwide would start to stop.

edit on 18-12-2010 by vinay86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
West Cumbria is a white-out, about 4 to 5 inches on the ground. The main roads are'nt too bad but some minor roads have'nt seen any grit at all.

Stay in and keep warm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

Whether or not we are heading for an ice age is conjecture at presant, however i have never seen a snowfall like this here in my area of the west midlands.. Ever..

On that point its best to keep each informed from people on the ground so adjustments can be made to travel and help prepare and inform as this weather continues.
edit on 18-12-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Grit/salt is no use on heavy snow.

Roads are gritted to prevent ice build up on wet roads when the road surface temperature drops. The salt content lowers the freezing temperature of water at road surface level but with the kind of heavy snow we have been experiencing the action of the salt solution gets lost after accumilations get to 5cm and above.

Heavily snowed on roads need to be ploughed, then treated to prevent ice. That's what happens on the motorway network, and thats why it usually stays clear.

Side streets and cul-de-sacs usually do not have enough space to get a plough in.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Had about 5-6 inches here in West Herts.
From what I could see this morning, out and about before the heavy snow started, none of the roads have been gritted. I'm not just talking about small urban roads and side streets but the main roads in town too and can see the main road across town from me has many abandoned cars at the roadside.

Still, I managed to pre-empt the heavy snowfall and got in a couple of weeks supplies before it hit. With the freezing temperatures overnight it's going to make the roads a lot worse by morning as the compacted snow and slush freezes.

Stay in, stay warm, stay safe.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
we have about 3 inches here
and i HOPE the buses are running because i have to get to work tomorrow

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
we have about 3 inches here
and i HOPE the buses are running because i have to get to work tomorrow

Me too.

I have tried to even book a taxi but noone is taking bookings at the mo, whats even worse is that the west brom v wolves game has been called off

The buses do not start till 9am and even got cancelled today on the busiest shopping day of the year!

I have not seen one single gritter either and now everything is freezing over so be carefull on the roads people.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I used to live in Kings Langley, I bet the Home Counties look even more beautifull today, even if cold.

new topics

top topics

join