It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Ads on Buses Rattle Fort Worth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
Sinnthia, way to prove Hunka's point.

Y'All have a great evening.

I am afraid this type of vague and rather empty drive by requires elaboration in order to have any actual meaning. I am guessing the goodbye was to indicate you had no intention of explaining how what you just posted actually meant anything in the real world. If you want to attack Islam, please feel free. I read the OP and it was about atheists and Christians. There seem to be plenty of threads here about Islam to bash in. I know, this is ATS where christians never bomb, murder, or terrorize people. I just keep forgetting to leave reality at the door when I log in.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

There is no shortage of secular charities opperating successfully and helping a great many people in the US. I think what is missing is that they are not running around, yelling, "Look at our charitable works!!!!!!!" Maybe that is why people do not believe they exist? I think the fact that they do and you would come along and suggest that it start happening is proof they are doing what they should be doing - helping without asking anyone to pay special attention to WHY they are helping.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
If we all kept quite about our lack of belief in a god/gods/space goat, then the religious would still be in power(Well they still are, but even more so) making life quite an inconvenience for us. Though the billboard campaign seems ridiculous to me, it DOES serve a good purpose in helping the Atheists in places where Atheism is considered taboo, to cope with the religious crap shoved in his face. It's a relief not to have a christian babbling about god to me constantly.

On a side-note, the burden of proof is on the minority by the way. If you disbelieve in the majorities' beliefs, the burden of proof is on you. Funnily enough the majority ignore the scientific evidence the minority provides for the lack of existence of many of the bible's things.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

There are plenty of wealthy Atheist philanthropists.

Have you ever Googled Atheist Charities?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Seems like a pretty unfair fight.

Athiests are forced to take the bus while Christians can afford their own private van.

Obviously the christain van is offering the bus riders seating free of charge, or at a reduced rate, if they choose the van instead of the bus.

edit on 14-12-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I find both sides quite ridiculous in this situation. I find many of the Christian advertisements to be in poor taste and slightly condescending. That said, I find that many of the Atheist advertisements to be slightly condescending, though rarely, but unnecessarily inflammatory a good amount of the time.

I don't think there's any reason to be offended by the signs that say that millions are fine without religion, though.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I was thinking the same thing. This is a topic that believers cannot discuss rationally. T.V. comercials cramming Jesus down our throats, but when questions get asked or a different point of view is expressed, these people get rude or hateful.
If we were a truly free nation this would not even be news.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

I was thinking the same thing. This is a topic that believers cannot discuss rationally. T.V. comercials cramming Jesus down our throats, but when questions get asked or a different point of view is expressed, these people get rude or hateful.

Here's another one to wrap your head around.

The publicly funded bus is being additionally funded by private advertising dollars.

While the privately funded advertising van is being additionally funded by public tax incentives.

If we were a truly free nation this would not even be news.

They own the media too.

Freedom is an illusion.

You're all slaves now.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
reply to post by LDragonFire

Their anti-atheist responses are ridiculous - the "I still love you --- God" one in particular... surely whoever wrote that realises that a person signing their transport-side ad-space from God basically reduces their deity to Santa (i.e. a man in a suit) status?

Religious leaders have been passing off their own statements as the word of god for thousands of years, why does this surprise you now? :p

anyway with half the world filled with christmas iconography anyone getting wound up by seeing anything of another belief has serious problems

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I totally agree with you. I am wide awake to the illusion of freedom. People who deny the illusion are truely blind to the reality that they are being manipulated by the system,(religous, gov't, and media).

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
They'll come together, and form The First United Church of Atheism.
But seriously, what difference does it make? Spend money on pro-god ads. . .spend dollars on anti-god ads. Either way, sounds like the bus companies the only one really benefitting form the turmoil.

I firmly believe that anyone who chooses to follow a belief mush know as many aspects of that belief as possible. If it's forced on them as children, they will one day question it. I don't think it matters how much marketing is done by a church, their ads will not affect my choices, and neither would ads for "ant-god" organizations.

If we were just to give in to the ads, then we were sheep all along anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divine Strake

Spend money on pro-god ads. . .spend dollars on anti-god ads.

If we were just to give in to the ads, then we were sheep all along anyway.

God / Anti-God - They both appear to be marketing a product. They look like a circus act. What a bunch of clowns.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/85feb336c57d.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 14-12-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

Originally posted by tristar
In the name of free speech,

How about we also have

anti muslim
anti christian
anti semitism
anti democratic

...i mean since they have a right to openly advertise their Atheist choice, i guess we all can also advertise our choice ....No ?

Err, other than anti democratic (to speak up against democracy is not illegal anyway, it's a political viewpoint), I think Atheism pretty much encompasses the other 3 all in one, by simply saying "There is no God". Although to single out any ONE of these religions is wrong however.

Well lets not forget, when ever religion is at hand you can bet that all the fruits will come out to soak up the sun.
edit on 15-12-2010 by tristar because: fixed quotes.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

In the name of free speech,

How about we also have

anti muslim
anti christian
anti semitism
anti democratic

...i mean since they have a right to openly advertise their Atheist choice, i guess we all can also advertise our choice ....No ?

Atheism isn't anti christian or anti muslim.
The comparison is null.

Oh i myself do not see it as that. Given that being Atheist is directly associated with religion i would assume it is everything but null.

No ?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Oh i myself do not see it as that. Given that being Atheist is directly associated with religion i would assume it is everything but null.

No ?

What you replied to is that atheism is not specifically anti TWO DISTINCT AND SPECIFIC RELIGIONS. Because it is not. Atheism is not associated with religion at all. It is not associated with Christianity or Islam or any other religion. That is NOT WHAT ATHEISM IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

reply to post by TheWill

Both excellent posts! I especially love how you showed that the God bus makes God into a Santa figure. Spot on!

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
Though the billboard campaign seems ridiculous to me, it DOES serve a good purpose in helping the Atheists in places where Atheism is considered taboo, to cope with the religious crap shoved in his face.

I do agree. I know it was years before I actually told anyone that I'm an atheist - because of the taboo of denying the existence of God. That one got hammered into me pretty well. There are still people I haven't told (family) because I know how strongly it would affect their relationship with me.

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
On a side-note, the burden of proof is on the minority by the way.

Where did you pick up that little gem? That's called "appealing to ignorance" (or trying to shift the burden of proof to the critic). What does the minority or majority's belief have to do with proof? There was a time when the majority believed that the world was flat... Doesn't mean they were right.

It's not the minority who hold the burden of proof, it's the party who makes a claim (like 'God exists'). The critic of such claim holds no burden of proof.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

No ?

What you replied to is that atheism is not specifically anti TWO DISTINCT AND SPECIFIC RELIGIONS. Because it is not. Atheism is not associated with religion at all. It is not associated with Christianity or Islam or any other religion. That is NOT WHAT ATHEISM IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me take a stab in the dark, Atheism is when someone does not believe in any god.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Let me take a stab in the dark, Atheism is when someone does not believe in any god.

Nooooooooooooooooot really. I guess I do not understand why so many people here want to "take a stab" at what a word means. Are dictionaries against the law where ATS members live? I have one, should I be afraid to open it as so many here seem to be? Is there a thread I should be reading to make me more averse to understanding what words mean and how to use them correctly?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Why don't you just give your definition?

Mine is: One who believes that there is no deity.

Deity: Rank of a God
one exalted or revered as supremely good or powerful

MW

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Nooooooooooooooooot really. I guess I do not understand why so many people here want to "take a stab" at what a word means. Are dictionaries against the law where ATS members live? I have one, should I be afraid to open it as so many here seem to be? Is there a thread I should be reading to make me more averse to understanding what words mean and how to use them correctly?

Well let's see, as a person i have close friends who believe in the ancient gods, you know, Zeus, Apollo etc, and obviously all the modern day religions, so i guess when someone say's he is an Atheist i guess and with the limited logic i have it suggests a person does not recognize God as the supreme entity.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join