It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the Love of God ATS.. Please create an APP!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I know this has been debated a lot on here, but seriously, how great would an ATS APP be?

For the first time members would be able to upload real time pics as events unfold as eyewitness reporting on ground events instead of needing a laptop.

This would make a superb site even better.

ATS members are always first with the news up to even weeks before msm get a hold of it.

An android and iphone app would do great things to enhance this site.

If i had the technical capability I would make my own, but i think the boffins of ATS would do a great job.

So come on

Sort it out please!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
There is one in the works, use search ftw.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11-12-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
An Android app should be releasing this week or the next..

And the Apple app is coming out on New Years..

Please read past threads...link here
edit on 11-12-2010 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
An Android app should be releasing this week or the next..

And the Apple app is coming out on New Years..

Please read past threads...link here

Thanks

Brilliant!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Ah sorry...wrong copy and paste!

I edited it. My bad..

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
Ah sorry...wrong copy and paste!

I edited it. My bad..

Fun though

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Sure hope it was..hahaha...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
dont mean to be rude ........... BUT

before " we had an app for that "

the entire [snip] world coped just fine - well the portion fit to be left unsupervised did

now you cannot function without " an app for that " ?

how utterly pathetic

[snip] - learn to stand on your own two feet and actually do things for yourself , instead of being sppon fed " apps " that do utterly basic things for you

the IPHONE and android decives can read ats and opst replies - they can also upload media to ATS media - no app dedicated required -

so why do we need " an app for that " ?

edit on 12/12/10 by masqua because: removed two censor circumventions

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Why do we need an app for that? The world is shifting to mobility and specialized apps are quickly becoming the norm. Sure, we can all get by using the stock internet browsers that come with our phones, but lets be honest. A specialized app will allow for so many more features including being easier to read.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Nahhhh.
Just saying.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Adding to that, I too hate the need for an app for everything but as stated it is true the rest of the world is moving on with tech always advancing I have a droid X and hating to say it seriously need the app because this forum on my browser crawls with all the ads and redirects it grinds me to a haalt sometime unless i'm near wifi all the hype of 3G is BS even 3G can be as bad or worse than dialup at least at home on wifi i can fly, but an APP might cut down on the unnessesary nonsense and get me to the forum i hate ads and crap. but also the argument of use you PC doesn't always work A. I might be on the couch watching a program and could be in the forum at the same time and B. Liek at work in down time the railroad alows internet but oddly enough blocks access to ATS

just my .2

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Apps are excuses for poorly designed websites. The only reason to write an app is to use something in the phone such as the GPS. App mania is a disaster in the works. If everything needs an app, the user spends (wastes) time with upgrades. Far better to write a decent mobile website.

I post to ATS all the time from my Blackberry with OS5. It would help not to show the useless avatars on a mobile, though I work around that bandwidth wasting garbage. FWIW, Opera works better than the BB browser for ATS. Supposedly even the iphone has been granted permission by the cult master Steve Jobs to use the Opera browser.

One of the reasons yahoogroups thrives today is the simple email interface. Even relatively dumb phones can handle email. There has been some effort to allow email to forums such as phpbb. The risk with email interfaces is it could lead to spam. Some email based forums follow up the message with an advert, though I don't know if it an effective monetary stream.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
While on the topic of using a browser rather than an app, mobile phone web programming should be done to minimize the scripting on the phone and maximize whatever scripting is required on the server. This is the opposite of how website developers like to work. Server side scripting (not exactly the right term) like PHP is great for dealing with mobile browsers. I use some custom PHP scripting on my blackberry that works just as well on the iphone.

PHP can detect the phone in use and alter the website accordingly. All the mobile phones have simulators so that the website can be "viewed" on the platform. Last time I checked the true iphone simulator needed a mac, but the other phones can be simulated on PC with free software.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In meantime you might try bolt browser or opera mini for ats on mobile. Both work quite well for browsing web on a mobile.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'm on board only if it's free

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Apple passes the collection plate. You need to pay money to put an app on itunes. If the iphone app is free, then everyone else has to subsidize it. You can put apps on Android and Blackberry for free.

I still say no app is required. What would help is an option to turn off the display of avatars and sig files.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

You also have to pay to put apps on the Android Market. It's $25 and you have to sign off on numerous forms and sync your google accounts.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

My understanding is you don't have to use the Android marketplace to put an app on Android phones. It is not like the iphone where all software must be loaded via the app store, i.e. Itunes.

Blackberry has an app store, but the store isn't the exclusive way to load apps. In fact, Blackberry phones existed for years without an app store.

Again, I think an app for ATS is wasted effort. The trend these days is to create mobile friendly websites.

new topics

top topics

join