It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by jrmcleod

Thankyou for your input and let's hope it encourages more replies with a heads up.
Feel free to keep us up to date.
This is already expected to last 15 days.

No problem Jazz10,

Thundersnow reported in North England. I'd encourage anyone from about Newcastle to Inverness on the Eastern half of the UK to stay indoors and warm tonight, Thundersnow is usually a sign of very heavy snowfall, so the roads will be dangerous and visibility will be very poor.

Here is a recent image of the cloud bank approaching for you all to see if you are in the firing line...

Incoming Heavy Snow

Make sure you click on the image to magnify it. You can see the cloud bank out to the East of Scotland/North England...it is moving East to West at about 15kph...with rotation

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Another 40 on top of what we already have? That's more than I've ever seen at this time of year. Might take pics in the morning...lol! Just as well I'm on holiday, cos I don't think I would be getting into work anway.......

Are there any satellite images for the information you found? Just interested as you said the system was starting to turn and it sounds quite organised now.

Cx

Aha! You got here first....very impressive system actually. And we had thundersnow here last night. A bit too spooky even for me.
Thank you again for the updates.

edit on 27-11-2010 by caitlinfae because: Not paying attention.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Another 40 on top of what we already have? That's more than I've ever seen at this time of year. Might take pics in the morning...lol! Just as well I'm on holiday, cos I don't think I would be getting into work anway.......

Are there any satellite images for the information you found? Just interested as you said the system was starting to turn and it sounds quite organised now.

Cx

Aha! You got here first....very impressive system actually. And we had thundersnow here last night. A bit too spooky even for me.
Thank you again for the updates.

edit on 27-11-2010 by caitlinfae because: Not paying attention.

Yeah another 40 for you guys...some reports on Netweather.tv are for over half a metre more snow over the next couple of days...

Yeah Thundersnow was reported in Peterculter, Stonehaven and Oldmeldrum too last night...we'll prob wake up to a surprise snowfall increase tomorrow.

Yeah your right, i cant remember this amount of snow in November either, i believe the last time was 1994...Looks like Prestwick Airport will break its coldest November night in 20 years tonight with a min of -10oC...and its only 2130...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

It's not that bad, I put out grit (25 kg's) spread over two large properties, my property and next door's on Tuesday 23rd November morning this week. Neighbour's asked me, "Are you expecting something", I said "yes and plenty of snow according to the MetOffice that I checked their weather modules on Monday 22nd November. I work in the construction trade so having the van is very useful and especially I have done a better job than the local Council's around here. I went out my way and tucked in and layed 80 kg's of grit on our street and pavement's and neighbour's driveway's.

So many happy people because I helped out. What more of the brit's should be doing, it only cost's £6 a bag of 25 kg's Tarmac Grit. Stock's are low, their about one ton's at Focus in Leicestershire and two ton's of grit at Wickes. I'd get buying now if you haven't already.

As for food and water supplies, we live in the middle of local farmer producer's and they alway's have their door's open on the weekend's/weekday's, just use a bit of common sense. After all, all your food comes from farm's, so you do not require to rush to supermarket's plus local farmer's are on your doorstep's, as for people in cities, if your not already a member of Cosco then get your names registered. ~If you qualify to be a member, you will be able to buy anything you like in bulk. I can do a £300.00 shop of bulk food/water supplies, that will last me 6 month's.

That should be enough help for you guy's, it's not been too bad here in the East mid's, their predicting 6 inches of snow tonight, but I hardly doubt that as we only live in the UK, it's not like we live right smack bang on Matlock hill's, or the Yorkshire dales, or Scotland or Wales.

We'll be fine, don't worry too much. If it's any help, I drive x7 day's a week in the van and I have to drive in all condition's, so believe me it's not that bad!

Edit to add: We have very clear skies here in Derbyshire/East Midland's so believe we may get away with snowfall tonight, however it is -4 C and dropping.
edit on 27-11-2010 by DClairvoyant because: Added comment.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I would love to be in a place where it doesn't snow much. We had our first snow today, less than an inch, a dusting. Right now it's -9 C with 20 mph wind out the northwest. We have to have at least 2 feet of snow for things to get stopped up. Even if the power were to go off most of the local gas stations and smoke shops have generators, even one of the big truck stops does. During the ice storm of 98 everything stopped. It was about a week before any relief arrived from the south. It shut down the whole northeast, Canada included. I watched video of huge Hydro Quebec towers crashing to earth under the weight of the ice laden power lines. The roads became impassable when the highway crews couldn't keep up, and we have tons of sand and salt. Everything shut down. Emergency shelters opened up everywhere. I worked in one the local food distribution centers putting together orders for various towns and villages in our area. There was a ban on travel, because the roads were so icy. After about five days things started opening up a little. All the traffic on the main roads was linemen from all over the country going to various places to fix the power lines. One of the truckstops here became a stopping off point for many of them, fuel and food mainly. Good luck, I've heard lots of stories about the grit of the Englishman, let's hope they were true.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by apex

I just wear all my "greens" army gear, waterproof's are a treat. Back in September, 2008, I was on training on top of the Peak District Hills, and we were hiking up to the top in torrential rainstorm's, gusty gale-force wind's that we recorded in at 90mph and it took 6 of us soldier's to hold onto eachother and gradually crouch down without being blown off the cliff. Our officer's didn't expect it to get so gusty as 20 minutes before it was calm as anything!

As for my engineer boot's, they too came in handy for all types of rough wear.

Oh AND ALWAYS CARRY A SLEEPING BAG IN YOUR CAR/TRUCK/VAN.
edit on 27-11-2010 by DClairvoyant because: Added tip.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well there is cause for concern, the gulf stream is deteriorating and shortening as it comes out of the east coast of the United States.

I have found to interesting animations, the first one includes the past two years with a 2 year interval. It depicts a gradual decaying gulf stream as it heads into the 2010-11 winter season for the northern hemisphere.

Gulf Stream 2009-10 (2 day)

On this next animation it is for 7 years with a 7 day interval and shows quit normal gulf stream until the middle of 2010 when noticeable deterioration can be viewed.

Gulf Stream 2003-10 (7 day)

So it looks like you chaps across the pond better bundle up this year for a cold and snowy winter . . . potentially!

edit on 11/27/10 by mel1962 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/27/10 by mel1962 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I just got off of the phone with my girlfriend whos in Edinburgh at the moment and she says there's no snow at all

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I honestly cannot believe there is a 4 page thread on here about SNOW

Try living in the Northeastern part of the U.S......

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Temperatures set to plummet and airlines starting to be effected.
May be wise for you all to leave heating on to avoid freezing. The last thing you need is a flood.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alonzo730

And what stories were they, about the English man? I have family from the states and from Ulkraine and they get a lot worse weather than the UK will ever in history. Unless of coarse there was a sudden change in the "Gulf Stream" then of coarse everything would go hayware.

The probelm with the Council's if that the board director's spend all the public spending cut's into their pocket's for treaties. They couldn't give a two-shoes what the people think of their action's toward's the weather.

That's why I went out my own way to help the community, I've done my bit today, so should everybody else, since it's our taxpayer's money that's being paid into the system that doing react nor result quick enough to the matter of "snowy weather". Your paying for something that won't get done, so I'm sure a couple more quid on grit out of your own pocket won't hurt!

Take responsibilities for yourselves since we are the people who make the country what it is. Help eachother out a little, I got the message across this morning, though felt a little silly gritting the road's out my own pocket however there have been many crashes on our road since where we live is very hilly. A small silver sport's car had lost control this afternoon and ended nose-front bonnet into the side of a house/lounge.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

There's no harm in keeping people updated in the Uk and Scotland, Wales and Ireland, if you don't like it, move on.

Oh and technically not everybody will know what it is like living in the "Northeastern part of the U.S", they probably have never experienced extreme snow weather condition's. Jus a bit of food-for-thought, there are people who will experience a few inches of snow, who are not used to snow and will say it's the worst it's ever been.
edit on 27-11-2010 by DClairvoyant because: Added comment.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

LOL, you want 2 foot of snow!!! I want 20 metres of it

Watch and listen to this weatherman after 2:10, he's f' hilarious! He could be a rapster!

www.youtube.com...
edit on 27-11-2010 by DClairvoyant because: Added cooment.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think those of you in the UK may want to start spreading the word. If I'm wrong just blame me. I'm serious this is going to cause chaos.
Preparation is a must.
Everything I've said will happen. How hard it will be depends on preparation. Last year power was out for some for long periods.

Please realise that this could be potentially fatal to some through being unaware as to how bad it could get or through cold or starving. Pensioners rely on certain people where if roads are blocked they wouldn't survive. Simple.
Give a knock and ask. (Minus the ski mask)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Yeah agreed, what's so harmful about walking it to school/colleges/universities. I mean technically you have to be living in the "local area" to be allowed registeration into a school/college/university. There just being lazy folk's. Apart from the disabled and they should only really be the ones who cannot make it into school's/colleges/unversities.

This video demonstrates "Public Spending Cut's" to the extreme. And this has everything to do with "LOW-SUPPLIES OF GRIT" since it's us, TAXPAYER's that are paying for all of this. Low on grit supplies, I wonder why???

4:24 to 5:49 Here's the link, just one example to where most money is taxpayer money is spent.
LINK: www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
As the Gulf stream has now stopped and is causing all sorts of chaos LINK you might wish to ensure that you have lots and lots of fire wood to last you until the spring, say 6 months! hopefully the snow will go in March but then again you never know you could end up having winter for 7 months of the year.

Nothing will move in the UK as they do not have snow ploughs, that can cope. I remember living in Norwich and there was 2 inches of snow on the M11 and they shut it down for 48 hours with over three thousand cars still on it full of people!!!!! who were stuck there!!!!

Life is about to become very unpleasant for Western and northern Europe!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm with you Jazz. I'm in London and last year my local council STILL hadn't learned lessons from the past and ran out of salt and grit! Sadly many places here have councils who suffer the same lack of foresight and don't plan ahead for this potential hazard so there is no point comparing the UK to the Northeast U.S. or other countries used to snow and where they have their act together when it comes to gritting etc. Now can you see why we think a lot of snow heading our way is big deal and worthy of a thread? The big joke here WAS the fact that a dose of snow could bring the city to a stand still. That is what happened. The metropolis simply could not cope. Tubes (subways) closed due to frozen lines, trucks couldn't get through cause roads were black ice so food deliveries were stalled and shop shelves began to wear thin on produce. But hey - maybe this year will be different...Wanna cross your fingers with me Jazz?

CX

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
[Its so easy to forget those next door or up the road nowadays. People seem to be more concerned with their facebook status or xbox games.

There would be no fb or xbox without these folk and it is our duty to watch out for the vunerable, in fact not a duty, but love for our community.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.. Those elderly folks ARE those giants.

Totaly.

I know the weather is nothing compared to how some members have it here, but for those more vunerable, it is still potentially life threatening.

Maybe it sounds funny the British talking about the weather like this, but when you see the way our councils deal with it, it ends up more serious than it needs to be. Deliveries do get stuck, shops do suddenly get low on food....people still think they can live a diet of X-Box.

As for the oldies, Yissachar1 is right, they are indeed giants. When i speak to my neighbour who used to cycle up to the nearby hilltop to help her brother on the anti-aircraft guns in the war, and who has spent most of her life running the local British Legion, whom i have benefited from.....the least i can do is make sure she's ok and pick a paper up for her.

Her brother lives next door, and in his eighties and an ex-marine who has more medals than can fit on his fireplace, the least i can do is fetch him a pint of milk and make sure i'm on the phone if he needs anything.

It takes two seconds, is that asking much?

CX.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The extra cold snap has been engineered with weather control so everyone has to stay at home and watch the latest war on the television.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have just two things to say to those of you laughing at how the UK panics over a bit of snow, how it's worse in X, Y or Z and how we'll be OK.

Those two things are:

1) We are never more happy than when contemplating or dealing with a crisis, even a theoretical one.

2) We adore talking/moaning about the weather.

'nuff said, I think?

Anyways, I luuuurve snow. Just be well prepped. I have a 4x4, snow chains, grit appropriate clothing etc, etc, etc.

One final note, as a few people have mentioned, let's keep an eye on those less able than us, eh?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join