It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicidal tendencies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
A number of forum members have lately been expressing their thoughts of attempting suicide. I recently heard of three generations of male family members who all had suicidal tendencies. It lead me into thinking if there is a gene within certain people that triggers in times of depression or trauma and switches on an instinct that others don't have and couldn't understand.
Is suicide born of circumstance or a natural instinct ?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I don't know about genetics. I used to self injure multiple times and I can say it was on my own free will. I was young, stupid and thought I would be better off accepted in other groups of teens who were suicidal.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I do not know of any specific gene for suicide...but there are genes for disorders such as bipolar and depression both of which can lead to people having suicidal tendencies if they go untreated....

So, I think that is more likely.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sayzaar

Lots of mental traits are genetic and as said above could lead to being more likely to feel suicidal
The change from summer into winter often leads people to be more depressed as well which might be why your noticing it lately

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

That's correct! I dated a girl with very bad bi polar tendencies and I can tell through the years of doing her I believe that was one of the main causes to her suicidal tendencies.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Interesting question. I've also encountered people of other families where many males have committed suicide at roughly the same age. Many times, those suicides were on an anniversary date of one or another. For example, not long ago, a man of 23 years old committed suicide on the anniversary of his mother's death seven years prior. I've often seen patterns in suicides or attempted suicides, and it has in fact appeared to be a genetic issue sometimes accepted so by surviving family members.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
IMO, from an early age we are taught to aspire to something we generally are not going to achieve, Its all about programming, If your not a academic your all but washed up and and categorised at an early time off your life.

Gone are the traditional skills (trades) for the "working classes" as indeed the vacancies for higher educated individuals, We are taught (brainwashed) to look down on people who cannot find work and generally shun them,
Turning them into the underclasses we perceive them to be,

The pressures of today's society will drive people to extremes just to make ends meet to feed their families and to keep a roof over their heads,
I to am guilty off thinking that way at times, But i am a natural survivor and generally get my head around the problems posed to me,
People need to realize that we are generally in the same boat and it would be wise to learn to communicate with your fellow "brethren", people who commit suicide are leaving a lot of "debris's" and are generally being very selfish, I don't mean to be so callous about it, " But you do what you do to survive" IMO ...

top topics

join