It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Country Is A Better Alternative Than The U.S.?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Don't get me wrong - I think those scans are horrendously WRONG, at every level. So are the random frisks. In neither case is there probable cause for such invasive action, simply because one wants to travel. I just wanted to point it out before anyone else did, and tried to detract from the argument using that hook. It's conceivable that an argumentative individual would try to paint the entire argument on the strength of that one photo, and weaken it.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I've always said there's no other place in the world I'd rather live in than America. Just more and more laws, rules, regulation, policy, encroachment on privacy is getting to me. Oh, don't get me started on the healthcare bill. I forgot to add that in my OP rant. Government meddling is really pushing my buttons.

The food legislations and new TSA procedures just threw me over the top.

I'm live in Ohio. The government really wants me to drive all the way to my California vacation just so I can keep the privacy and sanctity of me and my family's sexual areas?

About all of the food legislations... they tried to outlaw fishing... take away organic labeling... stop the selling natural herbs as vitamin and medicine alternatives... outlawed caffein alcohol (I don't drink those, just a point)... gave Monsanto ownership of vegetables... and now trying to outlaw home-grown foods???!!!

I wish they would just leave my food alone! It's my freedom to choose what I eat, not theirs. It effects me because you can't just grow any kind of items you want, some are region specific, etc. And I don't have enough land or money to grow every single thing I want to eat. Let everyone grow and eat how they choose, whether it's McDonald cheeseburgers or all natural.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

"I just wanted to point it out before anyone else did, and tried to detract from the argument using that hook. It's conceivable that an argumentative individual would try to paint the entire argument on the strength of that one photo, and weaken it.

And I respect you very much based on this fact.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by signal2noise

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
No more out in left field than jumping on one line and missing the bigger picture of what' s being said. Without adding any significant thought to the discussion , which didn't involve you in the first place, you just sound like another "tough" keyboard jockey thinking you said something smart.

Yeah, whatever. Cry me a river. And last time I checked, you didn't own this board, which means anyone can jump into a discussion. Sorry if it hurt your precious feelings. Need a tissue?

The extreme scenario you don't see is that the extreme scenario is the whole point. Should they have stayed in Germany and tried to "fix the problem?" Apparently that's the thought process you are supporting.

Sorry, Slick. What I was pointing out was you comparing the problems in the US today as being similiar to what the Jews were going thru in Germany when the Nazis were in power. It ain't close; no one is being hauled off to concentration camps and being gassed.

You are only projecting your own victim mentality. I was never crying...but I will let you think that. And there were no claims to owning the board. Your comment was not directed at the Op, nor did it have any valuable suggestion to the two people who were communicating...

It seems you are once again projecting your own inner insecurities. I was never hurt in our exchange, but your pedantic response suggests you could have been.

I guess it's OK that you call me slick, I mean there's no concentration camp in Cuba called Guantanamo...I guess you are just a genius and really know everything as well as the exact meaning of the metaphor I was making. Wow I'm so glad you could enlighten me.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

In regards the legislation: I decided quite a long time ago that there are so many laws on the books now, that I have absolutely no hope of obeying them all - I can't even keep track of them all! Now, breaking even ONE is "breaking the law" - not much difference to me than breaking ALL of them at once. Since I view it that way, I've come up with the philosophy that I will do as I please, and not ask for permission. Of course, that has some limitations. In my case, I won't deliberately do anything to hurt anyone else, without cause. I won't steal from them, murder them ( the definition of murder is to kill a human being without justification), rape them, etc.

In other words, I won't do what I know to be wrong to other people. Anything else is up for grabs.

Pass a law against fishing on second Tuesdays of the month? No problem. I'll just ignore it. Pass a law against growing my own food if I want? No problem. I'll just ignore it. That one could get a little tricky, though. Since crops are not mobile, they're sitting ducks for some jackass to come in and try to burn out. That would, of course, be a serious mistake. Trying to starve me out would be viewed as an act of war by me. That event could get pretty exciting for all involved until they got me killed, and killing me is exactly what they'd have to do if they declared war on me like that. They'd NEVER beat or capture me - they could only X me out. Pot growers in Marin County ain't got nothin' on what I'd throw into the bush.

I'd hope it would never come to that.

The thing is, any laws they pass I will ignore, since I can't keep up with all of them. I draw the line at doing unjustified injury to others. I don't worry so much about what they might try next like that.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You are only projecting your own victim mentality. I was never crying...but I will let you think that. And there were no claims to owning the board. Your comment was not directed at the Op, nor did it have any valuable suggestion to the two people who were communicating...

It seems you are once again projecting your own inner insecurities. I was never hurt in our exchange, but your pedantic response suggests you could have been.

Geebus, what school of learning did you pick up that psycho-babble?

Once again, whatever. You made a BS comparison and you know it. You sure aren't breaking my heart with your sad tales of woe.

I guess it's OK that you call me slick, I mean there's no concentration camp in Cuba called Guantanamo...I guess you are just a genius and really know everything as well as the exact meaning of the metaphor I was making. Wow I'm so glad you could enlighten me.

Right. So, Gitmo is a concentration camp? Once again, another exaggeration. A prison, yep. A concentration camp, where people are gassed regularly and then turned to ash in an oven? Nope, not by a long shot.

Try again, Ace. You're a no-go at this station. And your metaphor needs work.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
We are moving to Costa Rica in 10 yrs. It's not my first choice because that would probably be Denmark but by 10 yrs it's going to be buried under ice my gut feeling tells me. I need to be near the equator so that the temperatures to grow my own food and keep livestock is easier.

My roots are there and I'd only have to be there for 6 mos before I can get my citizenship as I am a child of CR citizens. My entire family network is there. A prominent family with connections. I've been there and that way of life agrees with me more.

It's by far not the perfect country every pensionado says it is. They have corruption in their police force but by far it's better than here. My parents moved back there 10 yrs ago to retire in their home country and are doing great just on SS. We fortunately are leaving with much more. Pensions and 401k. We will have a way of life that we could never have here in CA.

So I'll see you there in 10!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by signal2noise

Geebus, what school of learning did you pick up that psycho-babble?

Once again, whatever. You made a BS comparison and you know it. You sure aren't breaking my heart with your sad tales of woe.

Right. So, Gitmo is a concentration camp? Once again, another exaggeration. A prison, yep. A concentration camp, where people are gassed regularly and then turned to ash in an oven? Nope, not by a long shot.

Try again, Ace. You're a no-go at this station. And your metaphor needs work.

Once again you think you know where I'm coming from , but you don't. Sad, really. But thanks, Ace. I'll find another station.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Funny, because I'm in America and I have yet to come across anyone forcing down our local gardens, people are generally respectful, the police are incredibly helpful, and the only places I'm recorded are at the banks and supermarkets.

Maybe I'm just somewhere in the best part of the states?

This whole anti-America stuff is whack in my opinion. Every country has pro's and con's and yet the blame or great evil is apparently all on the US. I'm poor as dirt and yet I never feel restricted in anyway. I goto farmer's markets, and in the country, there is no goddamn way to police farmer markets and giving/trading veggies. I have parties, eat what I want, wander around town aimlessly at all hours of the day, but ultimately feel safe, and the only thing I ever tend to fear is someone hitting me with their car because in a college town, everyone texts while driving.

I feel like I'm living a poor man's utopia, and yet ATS is full of descriptions of America as some sort of police state and third world country.

As far as enforcing values, like previous posters have said, this is a personal issue. Really, my expectations of life and value of things changed 100% when I stopped watching television and regulate myself to Netflix, books, and comics.

Edit: By no means take this as an attack on what you're looking for. If you feel the need to leave the country, best of luck man. May you find what you're seeking. I'm just personally happy where I'm at.
edit on 24-11-2010 by SweetRevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Don't believe anything you read about other countries in the propaganda press. Check out countries for yourself online and make friends with people from the countries you're interested in by chatting with them on forums or Messenger,etc...

China and Thailand are both very choices for places to move to if you have a needed skill in those places that can't currently be done by a local. As another OP pointed out,it's becoming more difficult to immigrate to other countries as the requirements are going up because countries would rather work to develop their local talent and protect their job market from outsiders. The window of opportunity has all but closed concerning the 'Wild West' days of Southeast Asia where anyone was hired simply because they were a foreigner.

I suggest you spend about six months to a year learning everything you can about the country you think you want to move to before heading there. Next,go there for a week or two and have a look around. Make sure you have set up a job interview during that time-frame as well, if possible. See if you can arrange a start date that will allow you a enough time(1-3 months) to go back to America and sort all of your affairs before you make your move. DO NOT forget to get a criminal background check from the police and have it signed and stamped by state AG's office. You'll always need this for any move to any country. It's only valid for six months once you've gotten it.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SweetRevenge
I feel like I'm living a poor man's utopia, and yet ATS is full of descriptions of America as some sort of police state and third world country.

Ultimately, if you want to feel bad about the world you live in, watch the news
if you want to feel good about the world you live in...shut the tv off and go experience it.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
the answer to your question is simple.move ur ass down to antartica.zero unemployment ,angry cops etc .hope u like snow

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
how bout australia? I've not been there myself but i hear its nice
they speak english(with sexy accents) its wamr and there are kangaroos! what more could you ask for! lol

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
I would knee-jerk say Costa Rica.... if only it wasn't backed by the CIA and the US Government as a whole.

All countries have their issues. Switzerland will take political prisoners, and most places outside of America are much less tolerant of dissent or have some level of censorship of political speech.

I would look into some of the BRIC countries. Brazil, Russia, and India have their own issues but they have many good things happening.

If you want to avoid police violence, good luck.

As for family values... I can't help you. This is a cultural thing... and the entire idea of family values is a glorified untruth.

If you want to have a family with certain values, teach these values and reinforce them positively.

I was going to suggest Costa Rica too.

en.wikipedia.org...

Costa Rica is a democratic republic with a strong constitution.

Costa Rica has consistently been among the top Latin American countries in terms of the Human Development Index, ranked 62nd in the world in 2010, and is cited by the UNDP as one of the countries that has attained much higher human development than other countries at the same income levels.The country is ranked 3rd in the world, and 1st among the Americas, in terms of the 2010 Environmental Performance Index.

www.bybloshotelcostarica.com...

Costa Rica is a progressive society, known for its tolerance and social consciousness, and is one of the oldest democracies in the Americas. Even before the installation of a democratic constitution and the rejection of a standing military, Costa Rica's leaders historically provided for the health and welfare of the people. Universal health care, agricultural reforms, and housing programs were all in effect before the turn of the century,
www.globeaware.org...

Costa Rica spends much of the money that would be spent on maintaining a standing army to pay for the arts, free education K to Ph.D, and free universal healthcare.

The literacy rate in Costa Rica is 93%. This makes Costa Rica the most literate country in Central America. # Costa Rica has four state-funded Universities and several private schools. The oldest date back to around 1940. The University of Costa Rica enrolls nearly 35,000 students. Full tuition is only $200 per semester. .

edit on 25-11-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by SweetRevenge

Ultimately, if you want to feel bad about the world you live in, watch the news
if you want to feel good about the world you live in...shut the tv off and go experience it.

I don't usually agree with you but have to say this is good advice for anyone. It is the truth too.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Stay where you are and fight for your rights.

Stand-up to the bullies.

It's not just nations, we all need to fight (peacefuly resistant) to save our planet.

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by EFGuy
reply to post by Sahabi

Here are couple of countries you may want to keep in mind>>
>Norway
>Iceland - if you love snow
>Switzerland
>New Zealand

The four have highest standard of living in the world.

edit on 24-11-2010 by EFGuy because: (no reason given)

Sorry to say, your list is slightly wrong... France has the best standard if living in the world.. Along with Switzerland and new Zealand..

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I am a kiwi - NZ is a great place if you have certain qualifications or work experience. Then you will get a decent job, but you will get paid more for the same work in Aussie. If not, then you may struggle - it all depends on what you do for a living. If you like the outback mentality then head for the west coast (not much work but its a time warp!)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

It all depends who you ask really. Different organizations, use different benchmarks to form their opinion on what is the best place to live.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

US has its reach in most of the world.

Even here in New Zealand, they have a spy program, spying on calls coming in and going out, through out the pacific.

Other than that, New Zealand tries to stop US from anything else.

Although this spying BS on our privacy is pretty F'd up.

New Zealand is one of the most beautiful country in the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join