It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks Releases Diplomatic Cables as Early as Tomorrow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It appears Wiki Leaks really is about to release those Diplomatic Cables..

The Obama administration said Wednesday it has alerted Congress and begun notifying foreign governments that the WikiLeaks website is preparing to release sensitive U.S. diplomatic files that could damage U.S. relations with friends and allies across the globe.

www.ajc.com...
edit on 24-11-2010 by wisintel because: Updated Heading

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

I can see how sensitive information on non politically correct dealings the USA has had behind the curtains can hurt the country.

I also wonder, how do we know for SURE any amount of the to be released data has been changed or altered in any way?

Wikileak statement was twitted on something about changing the historical views of the world.

Could this not be a way to change history behind the scenes?

And would a altered leak be the best way to dupe the entire world into changing historical facts that actually happened.

Hmmm I got on my thinking hat on this one.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I hope they do release them.
It's not the release of them that causes the harm, it's the sneaky underhanded actions they did in the first place that causes the harm!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Another good site

www.cnn.com...

Washington (CNN) -- The Pentagon is warning members of Congress that U.S. relations with its allies could be damaged if the whistle-blower group, WikiLeaks, carries out its plan to publish more classified records on the internet. A Defense Department official said the records are U.S. State Department documents containing information on military matters. WikiLeaks indicated Monday it is preparing to release the classified documents soon.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NonKonphormist

I hope they do release them.
It's not the release of them that causes the harm, it's the sneaky underhanded actions they did in the first place that causes the harm!

Exactly. Just like it wasn't catching and exposing pedophile priests that did harm to kids. It was the pedophile priests.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I am not so sure I can agree with the wiki leaks objective here. All gov't's have strategies and use deception or un-othrodox methods to keep the ship afloat. I would more or less categorize the wiki leaks bunch in with the terrorists. They are doing more to stir up the potential for violent reactions than they are helping to fix the situation calm cool and peacefully.

Add: It is better served to turn such documents to foreign gov't so they can talk about such matters behind closed doors rather than get us all involved where "idiots" and "hot heads" and every other type of person has a crack at it.
edit on 24-11-2010 by TheRemedial because: Freedom to do so.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Wow....

THE United States is bracing for the release - as early as tomorrow- of up to three million classified State Department messages sent between US embassies around the world. The website WikiLeaks is preparing to leak the huge pile of diplomatic cables, with the release having the potential to ''destabilize global security'' and ''jeopardize lives''. The new detail was found in an email sent by a senior US bureaucrat to two important US government committees yesterday. Advertisement: Story continues below It will be the third and largest release of material allegedly given to WikiLeaks by the US soldier Bradley Manning, a Middle East-based army intelligence analyst who has since been charged by US authorities. The latest release was announced earlier this week, but it was unclear what the material would be about. An email from an assistant defense secretary, Elizabeth King, warns the US Senate and House committees on armed services of the potential dangers. The email was discovered by a Bloomberg reporter who published it yesterday. Ms King's email reveals that WikiLeaks is in possession of a massive trove of classified State Department messages sent between US embassies. ''State Department cables by their nature contain everyday analysis and candid assessments that any government engages in as part of effective foreign relations,'' Ms King tells the committees. ''The publication of this classified information by WikiLeaks is an irresponsible attempt to wreak havoc and destabilize global security. It potentially jeopardizes lives.'' The WikiLeaks release, which is again being conducted in concert with a small number of high-profile newspapers, is believed to be scheduled for as soon as tomorrow.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The Obama administration said Wednesday it has alerted Congress and begun notifying foreign governments that the WikiLeaks website is preparing to release sensitive U.S. diplomatic files that could damage U.S. relations with friends and allies across the globe.

They will expose the truth. Something the US has a problem with.

On a serious note, i believe some things should not be released if sensitive to the US strategy or Intel. Yet.. we do not know what is going to be released.

Has Wiki Leaks released any sensitive material from other governments?
edit on 24-11-2010 by inthemass because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
is this suppose to be the documents that are suppose to be 7x larger than the previous release...the one with world changing information? or is this a separate release?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thats funny.
The truth always seem to harm the US Government.

If they start flying straight then they would have nothing to worry about.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
S&F julian is more of a reporter than any the msm has to offer with their one sided edited fluff, yesterday I went online to see what was going on with the korean conflict and the first thing I saw was miley cirus turned 18...

pathetic

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

From everything I have read this is supposed to be the 7x release... Supposedly over 3 million documents.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Freedom of Information V2.0

Go julian!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

All gov't's have strategies and use deception or un-othrodox methods to keep the ship afloat.

I am not entirely sure which i find more offensive: The fact that you are very probably correct in that statement or that you would retreat behind the incredibly weak "All the other kids are doing it.." argument.

If the only avenue to achieving transparency in government is to air their dirty linen in public, then so be it. All we really know at this point is that whenever Wikileaks threatens another release, governments all over the world go into "cockroach mode" scurrying hither and yon in search of somewhere to hide.... and thats a good thing!
edit on 24-11-2010 by Tholidor because: Syntax (look it up)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Every Government has dirty laundry.. some where..some how..but its seems to be entertaining to blame the "United States"? some kind of innocent gloating? Well, It would be interesting to know how many life’s of US American Soldiers it would be cost this time. I am only curious..tada..wish a nice day.

edit on 24-11-2010 by SwissGurl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I find it at least odd enough to mention, it seems like all the members on this board defending the government and demonizing wiki-leaks are all relatively new to ATS.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Not true. Check my sign on date.

I would ask a few questions. Since everyone seems so convinced that this data set contains volumes of ultra-sensitive information that will greatly embarrass the U.S. government, or prove some vast yet-to-be-named conspiracy, then:

1. Why would the U.S. government put this "data" on a relatively low-level network with literally tens or hundreds of thousands of users?

2. As I understand it, the vast majority of data released so far has been classified "Secret". Those of us in the know understand the Secret data, while important to protect, is considered fairly mundane. Surely anything truly embarrassing or sensational, from a military or political standpoint, would be classified Top Secret, Special Access, or SCI....wouldn't it?

No, this data will contain nothing truly earth shattering or important. It may raise a few eyebrows here and there, but more likely it will serve to put more people a little closer to danger. Including a lot of non-Americans. You might surprised how much data becomes classified for the simple fact of protecting our friends and allies.

BTW, I personally hope that Pfc. Manning gets lifetime accommodations right next to Aldrich Ames, Robert Hanssen, and John Walker with nothing but a sledge hammer and a pile of rocks to keep him company.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
let us welcome this new era of transparnacy it is long overdew.... Least we continue to repeat the same mistakes...
again and again....x

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

This is the juice I've been waiting for.

The Iraqi war logs are peanuts compared to this goodness.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisintel
Another good site

www.cnn.com...

Washington (CNN) -- The Pentagon is warning members of Congress that U.S. relations with its allies could be damaged if the whistle-blower group, WikiLeaks, carries out its plan to publish more classified records on the internet. A Defense Department official said the records are U.S. State Department documents containing information on military matters. WikiLeaks indicated Monday it is preparing to release the classified documents soon.

The Pentagon seems to be very scared - if US relations with its allies are damaged, that's good - let's dismantle this whole d##d evil pack of cards.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join