It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
overreactions on here this will die out, ww3? lol i dont think so

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
South Koreans just want to play World of Warcraft and be left alone. lol

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
To quote a fav movie of mine , Tropic Thunder "I got a baaaaaaaaaad feelin about this one"

it was also in "Platoon" as well

I do think this has the potential
to go global. If war does start
u can look for the US Dollar
to crash even faster. It's only a
matter of time now.

Happy Thanksgiving.
I'll have an artillery shell
with my stuffing please, thanks

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Probably CIA.

US is still strong enough to help SK, don't think NK is stupid enough to start a war now.

Maybe a few years down the line, but not now.

US is faking this to do serious damage to NK before the economic collpase.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Artillery fire on Korean border RARE VIDEO

www.youtube.com...
edit on 23-11-2010 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
My God every time NK get's trigger happy South Korea responds with WARNING do that again, just one more time and we're going to retaliate. I though after NK sinking the ship it was thier last chance? naaa

Now all quiet but if North Korea attacks again I'm certain the south will say...ok, just try that again, one more time.

I don't want to see war and dont want war. My worry if however NK is backed by China...The north knows the south will NOT attack...and are getting pretty brave. ALL the more reason WAR could break out. North korea does not fear south Korea...each time the response from SK is do that just one more time...NK says ok...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Probably CIA.
US is faking this to do serious damage to NK before the economic collpase.

excellent point
I was just thinking the same thing.
All the reports are showing only
1 side of this. What is the other
side saying? Has NK denied doing
this ???

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
U.S. says China sees North Korean shelling as "undesirable"

From the Link:

U.S. says China sees North Korean shelling as "undesirable"

Nov 23 (Reuters) - China agrees with the United States that North Korea's shelling of a South Korean island was "very undesirable" and restraint was needed, the senior U.S. envoy on North Korea, Stephen Bosworth, said on Tuesday.

"We both share a view that such conflict is very undesirable, and I expressed to them the desire that restraint be exercised on all sides and I think we agree on that," Bosworth told reporters in Beijing after talks with Chinese Foreign Ministry officials about neighbouring North Korea.

More

It's believed that currently within China's ruling elite there's a struggle between The Old Guard and The New Guard as to the future direction of China's position towards the Korean penninsula.

The New Guard, that is the younger and up-and-coming generation, are of the belief that China should move closer towards South Korea and cut North Korea loose as something of a liability and a hindrance to Chinese interests.

The Old Guard, that is those who rose to power in Mao's time and immeadiatly after it, believe that ties with North Korea should never be broken, having been forged in blood by China shedding blood to ensure the survival of North Korea. They believe that The Korean War shaped and forged Chinese-North Korean relations, and to forgo that relationship would make mean to betray the Chinese who died in The Korean War, and would weaken China's influence and prestige.

World edgy on Korea, Russia sees "colossal danger"

From the Link:

World edgy on Korea, Russia sees "colossal danger"

23 Nov 2010 13:16:28 GMT

Source: Reuters

* Russia says regional tensions escalating

* China cautious; US committed to defence of South Korea

* Analysts see N.Korean attack as calculated tactic

By Peter Apps

LONDON, Nov 23 (Reuters) - Major powers expressed concern or alarm at North Korea's shelling of a South Korean island on Monday. [ID:nL3E6MN0SQ]

Among North Korea's neighbours, Russia said it saw a "colossal danger" of an escalation in fighting on the Korean peninsula and China said it was imperative to resume six-party talks aimed at ending the north's nuclear weapons programme.

Following South Korean firing exercises near disputed waters, North Korea fired dozens of artillery shells at the island of Yeonpyeong. Two soldiers were killed and houses set ablaze in one of the heaviest bombardments of the South since the Korean War ended in 1953.

The United States urged North Korea to "halt its belligerent action", saying that it was "firmly committed to the defense of our ally, the Republic of Korea, and to the maintenance of regional peace and stability".

Japan's top government spokesman said that North Korea's action was "unforgiveable". Chief Cabinet Secretary Yo#o Sengoku told a news conference in Tokyo that Japan "strongly condemns" the strike.

A French diplomatic source said the U.N. Security Council could hold an emergency meeting in the next day or two.

"It is necessary to immediately end all strikes," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters during a visit to the Belarussian capital Minsk. "There is a colossal danger which must be avoided. Tensions in the region are growing."

China, the impoverished North's only powerful ally, was careful to avoid taking sides, calling on both Koreas to "do more to contribute to peace". [ID:nBJB004000]

It is imperative now to resume the six-party talks," a spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry told reporters.

China's economic and diplomatic support have been important to shoring up its otherwise isolated neighbour, whose leader Kim Jong-il has visited China twice this year to strengthen ties.

The NATO alliance, the European Union and Britain all condemned the North Korean attack, and Germany joined them in expressing concern and calling for restraint.

More

LIVE: Korean crisis (Video included)

From the Link:

LIVE: Korean crisis

North and South Korea exchange dozens of artillery shells across their tense western sea border, in one of the most serious incidents since the Korean War ended without a ceasefire in 1953. Two South Korean soldiers were killed on Yeonpyeong island and more than a dozen people were hurt.

All times are in GMT

1427: Chung Min-lee, a South Korean foreign ministry expert, says he does not foresee the clashes escalating into a major war. "But if North Korea decides they want to push us a little bit further back by additional attacks on our territory, then we will respond militarily, including the possibility of taking out their artillery sites with our aircraft," he tells the Reuters news agency. "All eyes are firmly on ensuring that further escalation doesn't take place."

e-mail sent in by reader
1423: Joseph Bolanos in New York City says: "North Korea continues to exhibit its military prowess with little or no consequence from the global community. As long as it fears no consequence to its warmongering, North Korea will continue to escalate its military taunts, at the risk and threat to innocent South Koreans and countries in the region."
Send us your comments

1419: The New York Times reports that the South Korean Deputy Minister of Defence, Lee Yong-geul, has now acknowledged that artillery units were firing test shots on Tuesday afternoon close to the North Korean coast, from a battery on the South Korean island of Paeknyeongdo. But he denied that the shots crossed the disputed maritime border with North Korea.

1413: German Foreign Minister, Guido Westerwelle, has expressed his concern at the violence. "We appeal to all participants to contain themselves, and call for rationality and reconciliation to prevail. We would like to and can only request that all of the participants remain level-headed," he tells reporters.

1408: Brian Myers, a North Korea analyst based at South Korea's Dongseo University tells the BBC World Service that Pyongyang will not be too concerned about the international reaction. "I don't think they're going to take it particularly seriously. One of the common themes in North Korean propaganda is mockery of the outside world for talking very big but actually not carrying through on its threats. I think that's the kind of context they're going to put this in," he says.

1402: The BBC's diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus says: From the North Korean viewpoint this is about establishing a deterrence strategy over the South and defending its vital interests. An annual South Korean military exercise is under way across the country. The North Koreans demanded that this be halted. And when it went ahead, for whatever reason, this clash erupted.

e-mail sent in by reader
1358: Yueliu in Beijing, China, says: "This situation is caused by the policies of the United States. The United States and South Korea should come back to the six party-talks instead of holding military exercises targeting North Korea or even China. The US should be responsible for the situation today, though we do not agree to North Korea's Kim's succession plan. Paper tigers are paper tigers."
Send us your comments

1353: South Korea's foreign ministry says the shelling of Yeonpyeong violated the 1953 inter-Korean armistice, the United Nations Charter and other agreements that call for non-aggression between the two countries. "We have explained the current situation to all overseas missions and ordered them to remain on emergency alert," it says.

More

I find the South Korean foreign ministry statement at 1353 especially concerning.

South Korean Television possible to view here as well as other international channels. Bizarrely, KCTV is broadcasting the weather on a loop. MBN Live is reporting developments near-enough full stop:

Link

I'm trying to get hold of North Korean television. If have any luck, I will post a link and share it.

edit on 23-11-2010 by Regensturm because: Forgot to add a link.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Still some things coming out here ( It's 1.37am In Australia ) but I guess we wont really know whats likely til the morrow.

The UN Security Council is to hold an emergency session after North Korea's deadly artillery strike on Tuesday on a South Korean border island, a French diplomatic source said.

"A council emergency session is being organised. France is very much in favour," the source said after the strike, which killed two people and set off global alarm.

World powers including the United States, Russia, Japan and Western Europe have condemned the strike, while China - North Korea's sole major ally and economic prop - has voiced concern.

French Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie earlier called on North Korea to end its provocations and firmly condemned the strike on the island of Yeonpyeong in the Yellow Sea.

"France calls on North Korea to end (its) provocations and refrain from any new act that could lead to a worsening of regional tensions," she said in a statement.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Logical, I can see your point for certain. But I am not sure it would work out to good end.

I don't know the answer or the best way forward and I'm not going to be fast to believe anyone who claims they do. I do know though that the North can annihilate cities in the South and I believe that must never be allowed to happen, I believe the avoidance of that happening must remain the top priority.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

link   
People are overreacting, this will not be the start of world war 3.
North Korea and South Korea do this all the time.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
And so it begins.....

link   
here is a link to a south korean news paper
that helped expose the fraudulent claim that n korea sank the Cheonan
and the effort to pevent the actual facts from coming out.
english.hani.co.kr...

a local source.

link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Artillery fire on Korean border RARE VIDEO

www.youtube.com...

ummmmm
I hate to bring bad tidings here
but that is NOT artillery shelling
in that video. That was an explosive
device going off. I live near Bragg and have
seen artillery and that ain't it.

If they are saying that is NK shelling
the south, then we are looking at
a false flag operation pinning it on
NK. It's US Propaganda.

The US is gonna start this war and blame
it on NK as a patsy.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iam'___'
If I go to my maniac neighbour's front gate and start firing blanks I'd suspect he'd get pretty p****d off, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if he retaliated. Very careless of the South Koreans, either that or they were purposely being provocative.

Wait one minute. So I tell you in advance (because these drills are always announced in advance) that I am going to play on my own front lawn and that I will be using blank ammunition; and you say "to bad, I don't like it", so you start shooting real ammunition at me and my playmates. Who is being provocative?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
CCTV footage of the attack HERE

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
this is most sharp video

Moment of North Korea Attacks South

www.youtube.com...

link   
now i know the usa arnt saints but come on blaming them for this? lol alot of people need a breather from here i think

link   
reply to post by Gazmeister

Not shelling a Island. First time since the Korean War.

Majority of all other incidents involved exchanges at the border - this is different. Technically it's an act of war.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by vox2442

This is not about S-Korea, this is about US and China confronting each other.

Follow the string.

Why would China use its proxy to attack S-Korea?

To test the strength of US??

Why would US use its proxy to attack N-Korea? to destroy any peace process, which would allow its strategic bases in S-Korea and Japan to stay.

You are wrong.. This is between SK&NK... China has relations with NK.. US has a bond with SK... Now the big brothers are trying to fix the mess before all out war.

This is either way, I for one don't take sides.

LMFAO...ROFLMFAO..LOL...HAHAHAAHAHAAAA
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]

Oozy... You did not just say that.. Can anyone say delusional...

I'm just saying, if war starts, expect US to get hit from all sides.

I can not wait until this happens.. All of you that under estimate the pure power of the US military, will be sitting there, mouth wide open... But this time it wont be spewing propaganda and ignorance!

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join