It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Store goes PC mad with pig ban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Store goes PC mad with pig ban

www.thesun.co.uk

BARMY shop bosses axed a tiny pig from a kids' toy farm set - in case it upset Muslim and Jewish parents.

An angry mum complained to the Early Learning Centre when she found the pig missing and was told it had been removed for "religious reasons".

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This is getting out of hand...I don't get how this would be fair to Non-Muslim and Non-Jewish families. Might I suggest people who are offended by a toy pig in a barn rather be offended by their own senseless bigotry.

Don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as.

Quite worrying if this is the direction the UK is going in. I am pleased that the shop made the right decision to reinstate the piggy in the end. Honestly, look how cute it is! Certainly does not deserve the pork chop just because it might offend some overly sensitive people.

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

It goes both ways. A private company and store can make decisions for religious reasons and nobody has the right to tell them how to run their business, in the same sense I mean really now, removing a pig from a farm set because it may upset some muslims? I think we look alittle too deep into some things...
edit on 16-11-2010 by Southern Guardian because: fixed

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
You have to admit, those piggies are evil... It's no surprise people who believe in sky wizards are afraid of them.

I mean, it's a piggie... Satanic little critters...

the story reminded me of a case where I live, where someone had a joke cartoon printout (of a pig, edited to add, forgot to say what it was) stuck to his office wall, and was told to remove it because it was offensive to muslims.

Yet during ramadan, while they were fasting.... bad breath gas house... Crikey..

edit on 16/11/2010 by badw0lf because: little pig, little pig, let me in.....

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
It is one's responsibility as an immigrant to adapt to the predominate cultural and religious norms in your host country. I find it preposterous that a country would willingly give up its sovereign right to conduct it's affairs in accordance with the expectations of its own culture in favor of a non-native minority.

If you do not like the way your host country,which provides you with visas,green cards,benefits and jobs,runs things then you should pack your bags and go back home You don't change the country you move to,it changes you-like it or not.

This sort of behaviour doesn't force people to learn to be tolerant of each other and creates a world where have to live in constant fear of offending virtually everyone we come in contact with.

Just my two bits,for what it's worth...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by namine

It goes both ways. A private company and store can make decisions for religious reasons and nobody has the right to tell them how to run their business, in the same sense I mean really now, removing a pig from a farm set because it may upset some muslims?

When you say nobody has the right to tell them how to run their business, surely you have to consider the "customer feedback" from people who called for the pig's head on religious grounds. They are doing exactly that. The piggy was part of the original set and it seems to me the company succumbed to this outrageous "PC pressure". I agree this particular issue is trivial but it's an indicator of whats happening in UK on a bigger scale when people start throwing their toys about the barn over a non issue of this nature.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

I agree with you, man.

100%

lol nice avatar badwolf

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Remember these same peopel you ridicule also run society so they must know something you do not.

But on topic, you would think a shop is about making money and surely a policy to take any toy of the shelve would only be down to profits. Bizarre that if it offends people, they take it down.

Its also amazing how everyone can offend christians, but there is no pc on the items they may hate.

Bizarre but that is the world we live in.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

The real power is with the customers. This is what Big Corporations want you to forget while they inflate their own sense of importance and harness the illusionary sense of political power they currently enjoy. Private companies can very well do what they like, but if they go too far by bending over backwards for the minorities at the expense of the majority, they risk losing the support of the majority.

Too many people forget this basic fact and concede their own happiness and livelihood in the process.
edit on 16/11/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by namine

What about those of us who worship pigs?

This is blasphemy!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I try my best to offend all religions equally, as they are all equally deluded.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by namine

This is blasphemy!!!

What about those who don't, and need little piglets to complete their toy farms?

It's blasphemy the company should bend over to satisfy a few religious zealots!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by namine
When you say nobody has the right to tell them how to run their business, surely you have to consider the "customer feedback" from people who called for the pig's head on religious grounds.

Once again nobody has the right to tell a private business how to run. If a business owner wishes to run his business in a way that may damage customer relationship, that's his choice. It is in the same way as in 2007 when a retail store chain decided not to celebrate christmas festivities and there was this outrage by the public. Regardless of whether it's wrong in your eyes, regardless of whether you are a customer, you have absolutely no authority to dictate how they must run their business.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

The real power is with the customers.

Customers don't have the power to dictate how a business should be run. They are core to how many businesses are run but they are not in authority to how that business is run. Also, I highly doubt the UK customers are the only customers the company caters to.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by namine

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by namine

This is blasphemy!!!

What about those who don't, and need little piglets to complete their toy farms?

It's blasphemy the company should bend over to satisfy a few religious zealots!!!

What I'm saying is their excuse was they did it for "religious reasons" but evidently they picked and chose their religions to be concerned about... what about my religion which worships PIGS!

You know our Gods,,, Ba-Kon, Ten-Derloin, Sau-Sage

See you can't really do something for religions reasons, unless you belong to that religion... otherwise you are by definition excluding and offending other religions...

BLASPHEMY!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Political Correctness will be one of the biggest contributors to the downfall of society in the Western World.

If someone is really sensitive to the inclusion of a farm animal in a display, they should learn to grow a pair.

Sorry, but I think that political correctness has gotten very, very out of hand.

The Government needs to learn that you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

While I'm not religious in any way, this was a Christian nation, founded on Christian ideals. While you have freedom of religion protected by the Constitution, this should in no way impede on the Christian religion that the USA was founded on.

If you're not Christian, and don't like it, you have plenty of other countries to choose from.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Well, I wouldn't say nobody, as the business still has to abide by governing laws and such. I get what you mean. What's happened here though is the company always used to sell that product but caved after several emails asked them to chop the pig because these people found it offensive to their religion. You say they shouldn't have the right to tell the business what to do irrespective of if it's wrong in their eyes, right? So why is their religion being given prominence here? Sure it's the company's prerogative, but it's disheartening to see guests and their beliefs have that much influence in a house that's not inherently theirs.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yeah, that's exactly what's happened here. Recently I've seen more and more stories of favoritism in the UK towards the same religion...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Crud, this is going a bit too far. People are so afraid of offending "them" that they will bend over backwards to do anything to avoid this happening. When did our world become like this? When did anyone have the right not to be offended by something? Suck it up!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Its just the way religion works. In all likelihood, in that part of the world, when "holy" men claimed God told them that people should not eat pork, shellfish, etc., there was a darn good reason for it. Note the word "reason."

www.cdc.gov...

Cysticercosis is a parasitic tissue infection caused by larval cysts of the pork tapeworm. These larval cysts infect brain, muscle, or other tissue, and are a major cause of adult onset seizures in most low-income countries. An individual acquires cysticercosis from ingesting eggs excreted by a person who has an intestinal tapeworm. People living in the same household with a tapeworm carrier have a much higher risk of getting cysticercosis than others.

Cysticercosis is not acquired by eating undercooked pork -- rather, it is the tapeworm infection that is acquired by eating undercooked pork containing the larval cysts. Pigs become infected by ingesting tapeworm eggs in the feces of the human tapeworm carrier.

We all know how hard it is to get the majority of people to follow dietary prescriptions. Nearly impossible. So, these smarter than average "holy" men just said that God forbade it, and to eat it meant death. And in many cases, they were not lying. If "God" is "Nature" then at that time, with that knowledge base, the eating of pork was a really bad idea, that could result in death. Not only for the one who ate it, but for others who associated with that person.

If you pay close attention, and dont read these religious laws with a fanatics mind, you easily realize that these laws are in large primitive ways to deal with public health issues. STDs, food borne pathogens, etc.

A reasonable person, (note the word "reason" again) would figure this out, and would realize that these laws were as absolute as they were because abstinence was the only way to ensure these diseases did not cripple tribes, leaving them vulnerable to attack by other tribes. Now, circumstances have changed. We can test for things, we have antibiotics, (though who knows for how much longer) and sanitation has made the incidence of many of these diseases much less.

But................human beings are not rational animals. They like to think they are, and some small, freakish minority is, but the bulk of humans are not. And so they go on following the letter of the law, without ever understanding the reason behind it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join