It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do debunkers have a opinion about a conspiracy if they do not think there real

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by williamAmerican

No this isn't a hard question, but it does make my brain hurt because of how obvious the answer is if you'd just taken a few moments to think before posting.

Do you have an opinion on things that aren't real? What's your opinion on Unicorns? Santa Claus? Darth Vader? None of those things are real yet it seems that most people I talk to have opinions of them.

I know that for me the reason I attempt to debunk certain conspiracy theories is because I see large numbers of people being swayed into believing them without sufficient evidence to do so. Here on ATS we are meant to deny ignorance so when I see people displaying ignorance on a subject whether it be the Moon landing, HAARP, Evolution, etc I tend to want to correct that problem and give them access to the information I posses. I would do the same if people believed in those three hypothetical examples, if someone believed Darth Vader or Santa were actually real I would be on the internet debating them as well.

So

1) Something doesn't have to be real for people to form an opinion about it. I have opinions on Zeus, Odin and the Easter Bunny none of which exist.

2) If something is believed to be true or real without sufficient evidence it creates a reason to set people straight and give people access to good information that can lead them to better informed conclusions

3) Spreading a healthy level of skepticism is ALWAYS a good idea and is reason enough to form opinions on conspiracy subjects

Simply because some are content to sit idle and let people wallow in ignorance doesn't mean I am.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by williamAmerican

Because the most Debunkers are horrible terrorized by the own better knowing and better educated Girl friend, at ats they have the chance to say "I said so, you are Wrong" without the risk to sleep all the night alone on the couch.. and mostly they are right.

Hey c'mon who believe that ufo exists...?

You have a hard evidence? Its like..umm if you say "I s**t Brick's.." And i ask "you have a evidence..?"
you know..Its an senseless dialog.. of course has the most debunkers right.. its not an "evidence" but I ask from logical viewpoint what is a Proof? to s**t Bricks or to show an unknown flying object who nobody know what it is?

edit on 15-11-2010 by thewarehouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by williamAmerican
This is a hard question . I find debunking a new hot thing to do now days .

What happen to letting someone say what they wanted and just having a good time reading without saying a word?

Because these forums are EXACTLY for discussion, debate and discovery in a civil manner on "fringe" topics as the MSM consider them.

We must have open minds or we would not be on ATS, but we can't keep them so open that reason slides out and faith or intuition takes over.

As the representative from Rhode Island, Stephen Hopkins said on the vote in the Continental Congress on the issue of independence - whether to even debate it or table it - "I ain't never seen, heard nor smelt an issue so dangerous that it couldn't be discussed"

That's the spirit that maintains here. We aren't looking for a "good time", we're looking to see the realities beyond what someone else may wish us to see, on tons of issues.

Affirmatives and Negatives of one view or another on all issues are necessary; the polite conflict and debate forms the crucible where by we might get closer to the truths of the matter, and burn away the crap we have been fed.

<< 1  2   >>

join