It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your fail-safe firearm

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

Just so you know not all .22 are made equal...
one of the worse guns I ever owned was a Walther G22...
it was so bad I traded it off... got a nice Savage 30-06 for it...
you can read my review on the Walther here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I have a question for anyone willing to answer. My husband has a Springfield XD 9mm Pistol. I'm trying to figure out what type of handgun I want to buy for myself.

Any opinions on what is the smoothest to shoot overall, small enough that I could carry on me, 9mm, and somewhat lightweight.

I know very little about guns although I did take the handgun permit to carry class. I used a "rental" sig peashooter for the testing. I will brag and say I came in 2nd place out of our group of 32 men and women during the target testing.

edit on 5-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Oh don't I know it. I have had some crap guns in my lifetime. I purchased a Kel-Tech SU-22. Couldn't hit anything with it. I could shoot at a target at 20 yards and wouldn't even come close no matter what I would do to site it in. Took it to a gunsmith who told me the gun wouldn't site in and to send it back to Kel-Tech. When I got the rifle back, still couldn't hit sheet with it.

But that HK416 is very accurate. I put a 4X scope on it and shot it at the 100 yd range this weekend and was shooting very tight groups on the bullseye. I was more than impressed with its accuracy!
edit on 5-11-2010 by Mudman21 because: Added!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

I'm no expert on lady guns but my daughter carries a HK USP
Great little 9mm but a bit pricey if you ask me... hope that helps..

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It should be a .223 because once the "zombies" have taken over there will be a shortage of ammo.

.223 is the ammo of choice for military and police assult rifles, which means that it may be scavaged from dead "zombies", etc.

I would go with a shotgun or your favorite rifle in general, but have an M4 or something that will shoot .223 or 5.56 handy for when you run out of ammo.

Something to think about.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by meteoritics

I love this video. I saw it about a year ago. I have a Glock 17 it has never jammed no matter what I put in it. I think they are great guns. I also purchased the 33 round clip for it actually I have two of them.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Long gun: I'd have to go with my model 1 sales 20 inch barrel 5.45 by 39mm chambered Ar variant with a 6 position CAR stock. I can load 28 rounds of 119 dollar a thousand eighty round case ammo in standard mags and fire it out of my upper with a heavier firing pin spring and beefier pin all day no problems even with cheap dicey surplus ammo.
Plus my Spare M16a1Colt 5.56 Uppper when I shoot off all my ammo and have to start taking other people;s ammo after I put them down. (extra upper weighs in at under four pounds so for under ten pounds total I have TWO Assault rifles that share magazine commonality but fire different ammo types. Oh and I've not once had my model 1 sales five four five setup fail to go bang and send sweet sweet communist bloc bulk bought high velocity death down range.

Pistol: I'd have to go with any of my communist surplus CZ pistols (52, 82, or 83 got the variety pack) All very good guns and for what you would get a western Pistol for even used (about 400 dollars) I managed to pick up 4 to 5 mags a pistol and an armorers kit for each one... SO I can rebuild my magazines a few times each and the ENTIRE pistol minus the frame at least once. (3 to 5 springs and dammit bits... dammit bits= anything you could lose one of when trying to install while face down in the mud trying to get under bullets while fixing your weapon)

Subgun: Got to be my Highly worked on Wiselite based semi auto civilian PPSH 41 chambered in 7.62 by 25 mm tokarev. I have man stopper range at well over a hundred meters with DIRT cheap ammo that I have TONS of.
If the zombies attack before christmas this is what I'll use post christmas I'll have my direct gas impingement AR 15 upper chambered in tokarev instead! that'll be 3 guns for under 15 pouds! Gotta love the AR

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 persuader pistol grip minimum legal barrel length and a fiber optic front site... Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Not to be a smart ass, but you take his XD-9 & have him upgrade to an XDM-40 or 45.
I have the XD-40 (love it), but that's exactly what I'd do if my wife could stomach picking up a firearm.
If he like 9mm for some reason, XDM-9 (19 round mag ain't bad).

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

Yea it took me a few years to convert to a plastic pistol, but you just cant deny the facts. They are as reliable as it gets. Thats what the OP asked for, the most RELIABLE PISTOL, not shotguns, rifles, or revolvers...

And can be purchased for about $525

edit on 6-11-2010 by meteoritics because: missesd a link

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Ok...You're right.

Pistols:

Ruger SR9 9mm pistol is THE most reliable pistol I've ever put in my hands.

Here's the Compact SR9c

edit on 6-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheTruth

Agree. I may or may not happen to own one

2nd

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If I could figure out how to rechamber a glock 17 or the like to Tokarev and still keep the ultra high capacity I think I could be talked into the plastic pistol crowd... even though all 3 of my cz pistols costed less together than a single brand new hk usp (paid right around 200 each for the cz 82 cz 52 and a tt33 for a grand total of six hundred For THREE Guns) I know that glocks and etc are supposedly more reliable and etcetera but to me the proof is in the pudding and cost/benefit wise a glock or HK would have to last 3 to 5 times as long to even START making them seem attractive. Not to mention I got a metric boat load of spare parts for each and every single one (and if I really had to I could mill another frame for any of them in a pinch if it wore out ... legally I CAN do this too without violating NFA or etc just so no one tries to turn me in)

Not to mention the one other downside I see to glocks and the rest of the ultra light plastic weapon furniture etc trend.... And that is plainly stated if I finish off a magazine and don't have time to slam another magazine in before something is physically on me I can just flat out BEAT IT OR THEM TO DEATH my CZ handguns. Try doing that with a glock... the weight and heft just aren't there and to me this is actually a factor I consider.

Honestly if it weren't for ATF regulations making importing more and more difficult by the day I can honestly say the american arms industry would be in serious trouble in the civilian market.... Especially considering that EVERY single Cz owner I know has nothing but good to say about their weapons.

On a side note I cannot endorse more strongly 7.62 tokarev as a good round for budget minded shooters... It is dirt cheap relatively powerful and in a subgun will give you two hundred yards of max range (that's not to say effective range that probably tapers beyond 100 meters but still beats most other pistol caliber options by a SOLID margin) And just a fun fact this cartridge performed VERY well in world war 2 it was considered to be comparable to the .45 at mid range and VASTLY superior at long range! I have no trouble printing ten shot groups the in the 6 inch range at 200 yards with my ppsh 41 parts kit gun. (I do admit i've got a cheap red dot and magnifier setup based off of the EO tech variants that I use along with a setup I put together myself for mounting said optics ...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
damn ya'll, sorry for my absence, life called.

Thanks for all the productive and intriguing comments. I see a lot of good, reliable firearms listed here. I for one have always loved .223/5.56 carbines and AR's, I've just never bit and bought one. Most quality AR's are reliable these days, but I have yet to come across one that didn't require regular (after every range or field session) cleaning to remain fully functional. Awesome rifles for self-defense though.

I knew the AK crowd was going to make an appearance as well. I'm not a big fan of the 7.62 AK rounds (well, until you get up to NATO 7.62/.308), but there is no doubt that most AKs (especially the Romanian-made) will eat crappy ammo, dirt, water and just about anything you can throw at it and keep on chugging along.

I remember going to a local public rifle range about a year ago and posted up next to a guy who was loading and prepping his new AR. I believe it was a custom build, but he had an insanely expensive upper, I think it was one of the H&K 416 (whatever the civi counterpart is), told me he spent 2500 on the upper alone. Well, he had about 5 FTFs and 3 jams within his first 30 rounds. I was sitting there plinking along with a bolt-action 7mm, putting more rounds on target than he could with his assault-grade carbine.

That's part of the reason I wanted to make this thread, I am interested in everyone's shtf, fail-safe, oh-my-God Quetzacoatl is standing in my front yard and he's pissed weapon

As for a carry suggestion for the Mrs....It's very hard to suggest a weapon for others. There are definitely certain makes and models that are conducive to your intended purpose, but how it feels in your hands and how you handle the recoil have just as much to do with your decision to purchase. I recommend going to a local range that rents weapons. My local indoor 25yd range rents out about 120 different weapons, from .22 all the way to .50 cal Desert Eagles. While .45 ACP is the golden standard for most compact or sub-compact CCW's, I would check out some 9mm or .40 compacts from HK, Sig and even some of the newer Smith and Wesson's. I'm not the type that concealed carries everywhere I go (much to the chagrin of many "sheep dogs"), but when I do I carry my full-size USP .40. I'm not a real large dude, a 6'0, 185 lb frame, but with the proper holster and clothing I can comfortably conceal the weapon at 4 o'clock with an "FBI cant." For women, there are many extra carry options that just look silly or fruity on men. Handbags and even custom designer CCW purses can be found all over the net. Talk to the hubby and see what he thinks. Like I said, sometimes you have to make a compromise between stopping power (.45 acp) and the ability to properly conceal and handle your weapon (compact 9mm or .40).

Thanks for the food-for-thought everyone, let's keep it going.
edit on 6-11-2010 by Use your brain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I've got nothing but love for glocks, I know many men and women who rely on them as duty and concealed carry weapons, I've just yet to find a glock that feels comfortable in my hands. I love their reliability and ruggedness, and they make as many flavors and variations as you would ever need. For the life of me, I can't draw, fire or reload the weapon as effectively as I can other full-size handguns. It's not a fault with glock, just with my particular grip and liking.

The USP in .40 s&w is the first partially synthetic firearm I have ever owned. Many report its grip to be too large, but I've got smaller hands than most people my size and it feels just right for me. I threw a Hogue Handall slip-on rubber grip on it and it fires like a dream. Something about that beast of a metal slide that sits on top of the polymer frame that evens out the weight and just feels "right" when compared to glocks I've shot. H&K is notoriously over-priced, but considering my handgun is a weapon of last-resort, I don't mind shelling out an extra few-hundred dollars for the rugged reliability and accuracy. It's a good feeling to know that your sidearm is locked and loaded, ready and capable to fire, whether it be concealed in the inner-city or on my hip during hunting season.

I've actually always been a big fan of full-size and even some compact 1911's. I always hear about the cost-effectiveness of that weapon, but it has been my experience that you need to spend at least $800-$1000 on a 1911 to get one that's anywhere near as reliable as a glock or USP or even a Sig. I like my 226 in .40 as well, it's just a beast to try to carry, as that huge metal frame is a bit of a bitch to conceal.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It might not be pretty but neither am I...

ahhh haha, well said brother, I'm sure I'll be quoting that for years to come. classic.

As for the P944, I know more than a few people who swear by that weapon. Like you said, it's not the flashiest, but it seems to get the job done.

As for the 10/22, probably the best "pure survival" rifle out of the bunch. While I keep my 30-06 and 7mm ready for big game, most sustenance is going to come from small critters or "fast food" as I like to call it. That 10/22 would become the McDonalds of a post-apocalyptic world. A .22lr is and would be invaluable in the woods. Simple action, sustained accuracy and more ammo availability than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention you can lug around a few thousand rounds of .22 less painfully than a couple hundred rounds of 30-06 or larger caliber ammunition.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

The SR9 is smooth as a baby's bottom. The pistol has a good feel to it, I am in the dark on reliability though. I'm glad to hear you report that it's a reliable sidearm, but when I made my last handgun purchase I kind of wrote it off as one of the "generics" if you know what I mean. I actually don't know anyone who owns an SR9, I might have to start looking into one.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

I have a Marlin rifle .22 and have a rifle scope on it. That is the best plinking gun ever, plus if the SHTF I have plenty of ammo for it. Might have to shoot off a lot of rounds, but I do have plenty of those old cheap 22 ammo on hand.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Hey thanks for those videos I had not seen them yet. I was not so sure the iced Glock was going to work but it sure did.
I know they are reliable and I do like it because it is a lighter gun. I have found that I can shoot more accurate with it because it does not weigh so much and does not have as much recoil. At least mine does not Glock 17.
edit on 6-11-2010 by Iamherefornow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

until you need more than 5 or 6 rounds, I have a sig .40 never ever failed to shoot all 14 rounds and I have hours and hours at the range,don't matter how hot I get it put the clip in and go! at 25 yards I can hit a dinner plate every time. My friends .45 is also a great gun Taurus 1911 We had both guns black with soot and just keep on shooting! AK is a gun that will go through any thing you can put it through but over 200 yards wont hit the side of a barn! all its good for is spray and pray! Give me my Savage .270 and I'll put down a bull at 300 or 400 yards
if you came at me with an AK I would have you long before you even got in a range to shoot !

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join