It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Impact and Comet Hartley encounter live

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

In a few hours the spacecraft known as Deep Impact is scheduled to make a close encounter with a green comet spewing deadly cyanide gas.

If all goes as planned, NASA's EPOXI mission will send the probe flying through the dense cloud of dust and gas erupting from comet 103P/Hartley 2 at 10 a.m. ET Thursday.

Deep Impact is the probe that previously sent an impactor crashing into comet Temple 1 in 2005. EPOXI is a combination of the names for the two components of Deep Impact's extended mission: Extrasolar Planet Observations and Characterization (EPOCh) and Deep Impact eXtended Investigation (DIXI).

news.nationalgeographic.com...

spaceweather.com...

So NASA's Deep Impact probe is only hours away from rendzevousing with Comet Hartley 2 which has been putting on a show for amature astronomers the last few weeks with it's huge green halo. The comet itself has already surpised astronomers and NASA by being far more active than it was ever expected and ejecting plumes of deadly cyanide gas. Whatever happens the scientists are sure of one thing 'they are about to be surpised'.

"We're about to be surprised," says principal investigator Mike A'Hearn of the University of Maryland. "This comet is unlike any we've visited before, and we don't know what we're going to find."
The comet has already shocked the science team by producing a massive surge of CN, the cyanogen radical commonly known as "cyanide." Cyanide itself wasn't the surprise; CN is a common ingredient of comet cores. Rather, it was the size and purity of the outburst that has researchers puzzled.

science.nasa.gov...

Deep Impact
Comet Hartley 2

The close fly by will take place today November the 4th at around 10am EDT for the U.S I imagine and at around 14:50 CET but I would be watching earlier than that anyway as the coverage has started and will be on going, plus it looks as if the shuttle launch may been delayed again. You can follow the mission live on NASA TV's media channel.

www.nasa.gov...

There will also be a press conference held later in the day to discuss some of the initial findings.
edit on 4-11-2010 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Also here is an amature picture of ther comet which clearly shows it's green halo. And also a little video.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4962d5c810a6.jpg[/atsimg]

discoverynewfrontiers.nasa.gov...

www.nasa.gov...
Interesting to note that some amature astronomers had been observing the activity of this comet before the above NASA release.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I can only get the shuttle launch on NASA. I've tried NASA TV and MEDIA. How long before this is supposed to happen?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Great thread, I almost forgot about this flyby so thanks for the reminder and heads up.

I heard on the radio this morning that Malcolm Hartley is getting the red carpet treatment over at the JPL.

Must be a good feeling not only discovering a comet and having it named after you but to also have a probe get sent to it as well, not every day that happens!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
I can only get the shuttle launch on NASA. I've tried NASA TV and MEDIA. How long before this is supposed to happen?

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Damn, two and a half hours to go yet. Don't know if I can stay away\ke.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

i hope someone records it and uploads the video here for us!.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Yeah, I think they will switch it over as it gets closer on the media channel. They were showing some little bits of info earlier and an interview with Malcolm Hartley. And like Chadwickus said, it does seem he his getting a lot of attention.
It would all be very cool.

I used to know how to record NASA tv but they have either changed it or the more likely scenario I have forgotten.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
What is the video site? I can use snap to record it
I think I found it, right now it is just a shuttle right?
edit on Thu, 04 Nov 2010 06:44:43 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 04 Nov 2010 06:46:56 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

link plez

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
What is the video site? I can use snap to record it
I think I found it, right now it is just a shuttle right?
edit on Thu, 04 Nov 2010 06:44:43 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 04 Nov 2010 06:46:56 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Thats what i see, is it the right video???? What time in the UK will it be on? Would love to see it!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
NASA TV just said the launch has been delayed until tomorrow at 304pm Eastern Time

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

www.nasa.gov...

I couldn't get it to work on firefox, had to use IE
Wow, kind of off topic, but nasa has a bunch of free 3D models at their website. Very cool.
edit on Thu, 04 Nov 2010 06:58:33 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yep, that is the one.
In about 2 hours it should witch over, I would check in before then though.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.
Got this info off the site.

Live Coverage of the EPOXI Spacecraft Close-Up Encounter of Comet Hartley 2
09:30 AM - 11:30 AM

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 11/4/2010 by Connman because: add link

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is a pretty cool observation. But the more I hear about it it makes me think of the AGENCY and what they spoke of, wonder if this is what they were talking about?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
A fireball [will] enter the atmosphere this year. You will not miss it. It will glow green. It will most assuredly be televised on every news network across the globe. This fireball is not a meteor. It is part of a larger plan which will precede further artificial astronomical and atmospheric anomalies. The object has already been launched, and we understand that it cannot be turned back or stopped, which is why we couldn't release this information before today (but now can). We do not know the date of impact with Earth's atmosphere, except that it will be this year. We do know why it was launched, but we cannot fully reveal that information in this message.

If we had written this message before today, the object would not have been launched. But now that the object is on its way, there's no way for it to be turned back. However, it is necessary that the object is launched for reasons that we cannot disclose at this time. The information we are providing to you now is known by many in the scientific, military and black budget communities, and by certain branches of government. Our lives are not at risk by divulging this information, as many people know about it. We are divulging the information because we need to establish credibility (with you). We understand that you require some kind of evidence if you are to believe our message and requests.

When the fireball enters Earth's atmosphere, you must go inside and stay inside for no less than three days. You need three days supply of water, food and any medication you require, in your home. You need to make sure you do not need to leave your home for three days, for any reason. If it is imperative that you leave your secure area, you must stay out of sunlight. This message is for the entire population, world wide. The air will be ok for the most part, but you need to stay inside for reasons we cannot disclose. There's no reason to panic or be alarmed if you simply stay inside. Do NOT go outside for any reason. Do not open your doors. Keep them locked. Close the blinds. Keep a TV or radio on.
linkVVV
portalreport.webs.com...

just wondering
evol blokadz eflaming britest not good with the

edit on 11/4/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
lol at me mentioning agency and gets this... Incomming
luc sa sauf ica burn

portalreport.webs.com...

just wondering
evol blokadz eflaming britest not good with the

edit on 11/4/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
^ I will go out on a limb and say that it is entirely unrelated.

Found another little video called 'Epoxi - Mission to Comet Hartley 2' in the multimedia video gallery.
www.nasa.gov...
It is on the second row of video on the list on the right hand side.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
ok then incomming speed up by 1000 X
we love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! evokitaz luc sai doesnt care about this pettyness nor the sun WATCH IT NOW!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join