It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change challenge for computer gamers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Climate change challenge for computer gamers

www.guardian.co.uk

They've previously tackled alien invasions, gang violence in New York and how to raise a happy family, but this week computer games wrestle with an even more pressing issue: climate change.

Arriving on PCs on Tuesday and Macs shortly after, the British-made Fate of the World puts players at the helm of a future World Trade Organisation-style environmental body with a task of saving the world by cutting carbon emissions or damning it by letting soaring temperatures wreak havoc through floods, droughts and fires.

The strategy game is already being hailed by gaming experts as a potential b
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fateoftheworld.net

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think this could be a step in the right direction, in that it might get creative or alternative ways to tackle climate change. I remember first hearing about this type of gaming in a Ted Talks presentation, thought it was pretty cool. The game could be good, if its done right. There are also some screenshots of the game in the links, what do you guys think? Will it do well? would you play it?

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodLuckCharm

I think this could be a step in the right direction, in that it might get creative or alternative ways to tackle climate change. I remember first hearing about this type of gaming in a Ted Talks presentation, thought it was pretty cool. The game could be good, if its done right. There are also some screenshots of the game in the links, what do you guys think? Will it do well? would you play it?

www.guardian.co.uk

Do you know if there will be a level of the game when we go to the Sun and somehow force it to burn less intensely? Because, I mean, why stop at combating global warming on just Earth? The noble approach would be to stop the warming that's occurring on every planet in our solar system.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
You missed the most important conspiracy of all

www.telegraph.co.uk...

An educational computer game in which users have to save the world from climate change offers an interesting solution – decide the problem is overpopulation and design a virus to kill millions.

U should deff add this to your post
edit on 2-11-2010 by blankduck18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by blankduck18

Really? "Overpopulation"? That notion is exponentially more ridiculous than man-made global warming.

Every person on Earth (7.1 billion) could stand shoulder to shoulder in Rhode Island with ACRES of room to spare.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Are you kidding me
thats from the game advertising not me

I totally agree with your comment towards the game
overpopulation is a myth
edit on 2-11-2010 by blankduck18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Because we can't do that? Do we even know its happening elsewhere?
Not sure what your saying, but do you think climate change is not happening (or man made climate change?)
If so you would have to answer all these arguments: www.skepticalscience.com...

Interesting link, thanks. Its this kind of thing that annoys me, I mean we clearly have a problem and embedding the thought that people must die in order to solve this is stupid. *sigh* Having said that, not sure how accurate the article is, I'll have to look it up.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't necessarily say that overpopulation is a problem, and that something artificial is any means to solving it....

But the idea that natural selection would take out a good chunk of us where there's too many people abusing a certain aspect of that land that the overpopulation ques takes its effect and will reduce numbers (plague comes to mind), not based on the standard of an entire planet which this game is geared towards, of course.

I think something (like a virus) that would take out overpopulation in a defined, contained area would be more reasonable, not something across the entire globe

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I'm not railing against you, but the idea in the part of the article you inserted in your post.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodLuckCharm

www.abovetopsecret.com

Yes, climate change is happening on several planets in our solar system. The source of energy for our solar system is the Sun.

And unless there are humans heaping shovels of coal into the furnace of the Sun, no I do not believe humans are the cause of the climate change occurring throughout the SOLAR SYSTEM.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You're right they could stand shoulder to shoulder with 6 acres to spare. Why dont' we throw in their houses, their cars and SUVs, their boats and ATVs, their equipment and all the roads needed for them...

Remember people don't just occupy themselves. They take up a ton more space than just themselves!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Look, if you're crowded where you live..

MOVE.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagula
I think something (like a virus) that would take out overpopulation in a defined, contained area would be more reasonable, not something across the entire globe

maybe you could name a few regions where you feel would be the best place to start? is it done secretly? or are they informed so they have a chance to say goodbye to their family? is it painful?

are the general public informed about it and the people who think it is a good idea named to the public?

or is it one of those coward things done in secret and only targeting people who 'they' think should die, themselves excluded?

new topics

top topics

join