It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: US Soldier Keith "Matt" Maupin Executed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Reports that Al Jazeera is in possession of a video tape showing the execution of Keith "Matt" Maupin a US soldier captured in a convoy attack April 9th have been confirmed. The Pfc Marine, captured on April 9th, was executed, reportedly by gunshot, earlier this morning.
The video shows a man filmed from behind and a hooded militant shooting him execution-style in the back of the head. The victim is kneeling in front of a hole dug in the ground. A group calling itself "The Sharp Sword against the Enemies of God and His Prophet" included a statement with the video identifying Pfc. Maupin.
Additional video footage apparently shows a man who appears to be Pfc. Maupin speaking to the camera.

WLWT

According to military representatives close to the Maupin family who spoke to WLWT, sources are reporting that the Al Jazeera TV network has a videotape of Maupin being shot.

The military has not changed Maupin's status, and the report of his death has not been confirmed.

Al Jazeera aired the video of the man speaking to the camera, but did not air the execution out of respect for "viewers' sensitivities."

Related News Stories:
Al Jazeera
Ohio News Now: Sources: Missing Soldier May Be Dead
Captured US Soldier Maupin Executed
Report: Kidnapped Cincinnati Soldier Killed

[edit on 29-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
matt who? i never heard of this on the news and april 9th of last year or this year?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
whats the running total on these executions so far? I wonder how this Iraqi power transfer will affect the rate of executions? anyone got a number on mia soldiers & missing civilians over there??? just getting an idea of how bad it could get. imagine the public reaction if they were to starts popping out videos of mass executions?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Matt Maupin or however you spell the last name was a marine that was reported missing after his convoy was hit by a road side bomb and so on...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
matt who? i never heard of this on the news and april 9th of last year or this year?

April 9th 2004, Pvt. Muapin was captured in an attack on a convoy near Bagdad.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Not to make light of this but this man is obviously done for whether or not it's on tape. Anyone who is in the hands of these animals is done for. You can't negotiate with animals so what we need to do is prevent this from happening.

If I was in charge, I'd implement the following.

1) If you're not in the military and you're an American citizen, you are out of Iraq, period. It's simply not safe to have computer people, or engineers or whatever roaming around there. They're American, they're probably not armed... it's like smearing yourself in blood and jumping in a shark tank.

2) Have some servicemen stake out the headquarters of Al-Jazeera et al. When some little bastard comes to drop off the tape of a hostage being executed, snatch him up. He'll tell you where the action is going down real fast when you threaten to pour hot lead down his throat.

3) Develop a system of transport where groups such as Army Cooks are not travelling through dangerous areas alone. "They got seperated from the convoy" is unacceptable. Radio communication should be improved there. As soon as someone breaks off, stop and correct it. There should be no opportunity for such things to happen. This isn't Disneyland and no one should be permitted to EVER wander off alone.

Are these suggestions disturbing? Maybe. I never thought I'd hear myself suggesting some of them but you must understand that this is not a normal enemy.

If the United States refuses to adapt to what's going on they will end up like the redcoats marching uphill in orderly straight lines and being picked off one byone. You only end up on the road to obsoletesville by being inactive.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
1) If you're not in the military and you're an American citizen, you are out of Iraq, period. It's simply not safe to have computer people, or engineers or whatever roaming around there. They're American, they're probably not armed... it's like smearing yourself in blood and jumping in a shark tank.

Not a bad idea. There are plenty of Iraqi nationals with the skills to rebuild their infrastructure, after all, they did build it in the first place. All they need are the tools and materials.

2) Have some servicemen stake out the headquarters of Al-Jazeera et al. When some little bastard comes to drop off the tape of a hostage being executed, snatch him up. He'll tell you where the action is going down real fast when you threaten to pour hot lead down his throat.

They probably post the tape... I bet the place is staked out all the same though.

3) Develop a system of transport where groups such as Army Cooks are not travelling through dangerous areas alone. "They got seperated from the convoy" is unacceptable. Radio communication should be improved there. As soon as someone breaks off, stop and correct it. There should be no opportunity for such things to happen. This isn't Disneyland and no one should be permitted to EVER wander off alone.

Unfortunately Iraq is too big for that kind of protection, and even armed convoys are being attacked anyway.

Are these suggestions disturbing? Maybe. I never thought I'd hear myself suggesting some of them

well I wasn't going to say anything but the "lead down the throat" idea is a little...er.. sick?

but you must understand that this is not a normal enemy.

You're right about that, it's not a normal enemy. It's a guerrilla resistance-cum-terrorist organization (depending on your viewpoint)

History shows that these sorts of organizations persist for many decades in cases where a country is physically, economically, or politically "occupied" by another, regardless of the reasons given by the occupier.

The simplest solution is to withdraw from the middle east and stop meddling in it's affairs. Bush won't do it obviously, since it would show "weakness", but that's his hangup and shoudn't be the hangup of the US in general.

If the US removes Bush and cabal in November, offers them up to the Hague for trial[EDIT or tries them domestically), and dramatically rethinks it's foreign policy, it won't bee seen as weakness by the rest of the world. It will be seen as a show of the strength and courage of a nation that is able to recognize the faults of it's leaders and correct them.

Most of the americans I know are fair-minded, optimistic and caring people, and probably more openly so than many other nations. Unfortunately these traits can make them easier pickings for inscrutable types, who play on these feelings to further their own agandas. I believe Bush and his administration are such types. I also believe though that fair-mindedness and caring tends to win out in the end.. (but then, I too am an optimist)

[edit on 28-6-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Reports are coming in to sky news now that American hostage has been Exicuted

Just waiting on links to confirm this,

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

reports so far are saying the guy was shot..

still trying to get a link on this Skynews TV are Breaking the story.

www.sky.com...

ok heres the story

--------------------------

Al-Jazeera television is reporting that Iraqi militants have executed an American soldier because the US government did not change its policy in Iraq.

Keith Maupin of Batavia, Ohio, was captured in April during an ambush on a convoy west of Baghdad.

The Arab satellite station showed video showing a blindfolded person sitting on the ground but did not show the killing.

The station said the militants shot him.

[edit on 28-6-2004 by asala]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Our Local news said he's dead, he was captured in an ambush in April, he's from Ohio.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yep izzi it is Keith Maupin of Batavia, Ohio

The man taken in April, I was getting this almost confussed with the latest
hostage,

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's horrible...

And I'm tired of Al Jazeera being this terrorist PR machine that grabs the videotape & throws it on the air before the body's even cold. I wonder how they cover these deaths, what they say as the tape is being shown...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
What a terrible waste. Did this man ever have the opportunity to see his one-year old baby?

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Aye!,

They execute a miltary man (an enemy combatant)

WE, however, argue over whether they get Legal representation,
and are Mirandized properly?

I'm getting sick....

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yes they are executing our soldier and WE are worried about the creeps getting their due day in court! Only in America!! The Supreme Court...ugh!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Threads concerning the reported murder of terrorist victims, whether confirmed or not, are not appropriate threads for sarcasm or skepticism about whether they have died, wanted died, should have died, or that you "knew they had before anyone else".

Any inappropriate, or disrespectful posts made in this class of thread WILL BE DELETED.

Make your own thread if you've got a statement to make. ATSNN threads will not be misused in this manner.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Aye!,

They execute a miltary man (an enemy combatant)

WE, however, argue over whether they get Legal representation,
and are Mirandized properly?

I'm getting sick....

Originally posted by Jalengrma
Yes they are executing our soldier and WE are worried about the creeps getting their due day in court! Only in America!! The Supreme Court...ugh!!!

Well, that's exactly what separates us from them. We could execute every single person in Gitmo for retaliation. But because we don't, we are able to claim the higher moral ground. It is far more difficult to claim that we are on the side of freedom and liberty if we execute people basically at random.

If we give in to the mindset that we need to devalue our own concepts of freedom and liberty, then the terrorists have won. People come to this country because they want to escape persecution and injustice, not because they want to relive it. The day we forget that is the day we become that which we most hate and despise.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Agree Valhall, keep that out of these threads. I would also like to send my condolences to his family and condemn these senseless and virtually useless acts of barbarism.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by zander106
Well, that's exactly what separates us from them.

Sure, I agree with that. I didn't mean that we should stoop so low.

I meant that these terrorists should STAND and behave like civilzed
men.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join