It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blending in with your B.O.B. -A quick tip-

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

I only have around a ten minute walk from here to the bush so I don't worry too much about the urban survival. My backpack is grey and olive green and blends in quite well.

The only cover I have for it (rain cover) is a dark blue which blends in very well at night.

And although walking with a backpack might make it seem like you are easy pickings as you have supplies, the smart ones will leave you alone as they will also know that if you are that prepared, you also have weapons of some sort.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exforcesuk
reply to post by locster

Indeed, there is little you can do against a dog tracking you

Actually there is alot you can do to escape dog tracking ! If you know you are been tracked that is !

1 simple avoidance tip would be to tie plastic carrier bags round your feet ! once you get relatively far away discard these bags then tie a fresh set again round your feet ! do this two or three times during your escape! also if you can then travelling through water as much as possible ! again discarding and changing clothes can throw off a scent. Circling round and making fake tracks also helps ! there are many techniques to throwing tracking dogs off scent !

Sounds good but no cigar. Your scent is not coming from the soles of your feet or shoes. It is falling from your entire body. The mythbusters did 2 segments on tracking dogs. If I remember correctly, in one they even wore a hunters no scent suit designed to totally eliminate the human scent from prey. They also went up and down stream and across water. The dog easily found them every time. When Adam stopped and changed clothing in one attempt, he drastically increased his scent trail. All you are doing is leaving behind fresh scent samples.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sideband

Now i am interested in this!
I can only relay what i believe i know or have been told or tought ! However it is my understanding that tracker dogs actually pick up on the scent that is created at the point of friction! i.e where the foot hits the floor and that the scent left in the air only lasts a relatively small amount of time ! even smaller on a windy day !
I was only passing on the information i had been given in the past when i was fortunate enough to be involved in escape and evasion training with the military.

I am not familiar with mythbusters but will investigate further thx

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by locster
So that's my quick little tip, i hope it might be usefull.
Any other ideas on how to blend in would be very welcome!
edit on 30/10/10 by locster because: The letters on my keyboard wore camo

ALL black everything tends to help you hide best in most urban or nonurban settings!

2nd

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Since tracking dogs are being discussed I used to do search and rescue mantracking with dogs.
You have 2 kinds of tracking dogs - ground scent and air scent.
Bloodhounds are almost exclusively trackers of ground scent. Most other dogs will track by air scent (random scent molecules that float or stick to vegetation).
Bloodhounds are the best trackers and your best bet is to put distance between you and them. Only a good rainstorm will destroy your scent trail.
Air scent dogs can be thrown off by circling, climbing trees and water crossing (double back on your own trail and stay on the original side).
Following deer trails can sometimes (but not regularly) throw dogs off your scent trail.
Military and Police dogs are rarely good tracking dogs unless they are bloodhounds.

The weakest point on a dog is it's feet. Something like fish hooks bent up and placed in the ground will do the trick but it awfully painful to the dog. But if it's your life or theirs, TS.
You can improvise with thorns or slivers of glass or wood if you have no hooks.

A good tracking team of dog and man will stay on your trail no matter what. Your options then are run like hell or
try to ambush them.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Great advice and it inspired me to change my clothing. Im going to stitch a camo lining to a more urban lining, so i can get double the cover from a single garment of clothing by turning it inside out. This should save some room in my pack.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by locster

my bob got a bit large...and I started looking for options...low and behold I find one..

I had not thought about wht you presented in this thread, nor do I know its propper name, so I'll just describe it and an let a military goo roo tell us what I have now..

Its a vest...army? issued...I got it from a local resale of old military items store...it has many many lil pockets...even a compass pocket...I have almost emptied my bag into this!
And now I can put on a hoody..and be almost "un noticable" as to having any gear on me..
Just throwing this out there in case someone is inclined to use it also...

I also picked up a nice walking pole/thing...telescopic... that I could put my cordage on, and a wind direction "fluff" on top....the back is hollow and will hold some needles and hooks...and spare fishing pieces, and the pole can/has worked as a make shift fishing pole..

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Morning Doc,
Did you get a tactical vest? Can you tell us everything you've gotten to fit in it? This seems to me to be a more comfortable wear than a pack as the weight should be evenly distributed plus the shoulders have a wider coverage area further distributing the weight more comfortably.
Thanks.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Great tip from the OP...love it.

Indeed, there is little you can do against a dog tracking you. My idea is just a lightweight solution to humans spotting you.

Actually, there are plenty of ways to foul up dogs tracking you...they've been used for ages. There are ways to mask your scent, but usually, it's better to simply give them a far more interesting scent to deal with, or assault their senses completely (like skunk musk, etc.)

Morning Doc,
Did you get a tactical vest? Can you tell us everything you've gotten to fit in it? This seems to me to be a more comfortable wear than a pack as the weight should be evenly distributed plus the shoulders have a wider coverage area further distributing the weight more comfortably.
Thanks.

More comfortable, sure, but you'd sure stick out as a guy who knows his business. I kind of like the OP's idea of being less of a target...
edit on 1-11-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I used them in the marines, its called and lbv

Load Bearing Vest and if you had a big dark blue or black hoody you will probably just look chunky when it is on and covering

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

This will be long.....
but I'll try
Not sure about it being a tactical vest....to me I tend to think its an aftermarket vest...but it accepts "has mounts" and my army issue "green" pack attachs to this....
Or it could be a special issue item....I look around this army store near me all the time this is the one and only I've personally ever seen.

The list I am just gonna have to empty it and type as I go...
In no particular order...

-1/2 dozen 12" zip ties
-50' cotton rope "shoe string size"
-6" barjan hacksaw
-12 1/2 gallon zip lock bags
-5 micro bungee straps 6-8"
-topo maps in plastic bag only 2 pages
-crow call...natures car alarm..good to keep them around
-squirrel call...same as crows "barking squirrels" and they can make a meal if need be
-3" magnifying glass.."just the lense"
-16 45 LC rounds
-1 oz. iodine tincture
-spare p-38 and a p-60 recently
-4 unknown canned goods.."small size" maybe 10 oz..tuna can sized..I think 1 bean, and 3 meat
Labels wore off..
-1 rachet strap...or redneck winch
-char cloth for fire..and some "tender" fire making media
-1 box of 50cnt eley sub sonic 22 ammo hollow point hunter.."does not break sound barrier" low report!
-1 pair of thin summer camo over alls "bibs" treated with permanon..good stuff..
-1 nylon fish stringer
-1 roll black tape
-sharpy marker
- a 3 "aaa" battery LED aluminum light
- wet/dry matches in pill bottle
- magnesium striker
- another pill bottle..."benedryl" and aspirin
- small wash cloth and straight razor...wow don't remember putting that in there...
- 1 tube super glue gel, in a little plastic bottle, with some random bandades
- 1 engineers compass
- corn cob pipe and small bit of tobacco
-

thats all for now, keep in mind, there is 20 or so pockets still left to use that are currently empty..
I truely think this thing is made for a better "long haul" fit, and is accompanied with a pack...I was lucky and already had the pack...maybe a sniper?

This is all green.....if I had to guess, from the buckles, lack of velcro, and laces up"personal adjustment" and brass colored quick latchs, I'm guessing vietnam era, possibly korean war era....olive drab...right outa M*A*S*H*
When I have it packed and on, its roughly 3-4" thicker than my normal...body, in a profile view.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Please keep in mind ...that all the stuff listed, is maticuliously...packed...
From the T-shirt, that after folded correctly.."fits into a small area the size of a pack of smokes.
The bibs above are folded into an 8x12" or so square and was set under my 2k lb snap on tool chest...untill deamed "flat enuf"
After looking at the list...if I had not seen done this myself I'd cry wolf....
But yes under a hoody, and /or a jacket I just look like I have lifted weights and have some bulk...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Awesome. If you find out what this item is called I'd be very interested in knowing. Its amazing the quantity of items you have packed in there with room for way more. I love the idea that with a hoodie or a parka on you don't appear to be carrying anything! I'm on a hunt now to come up with a picture of this thing : ). I'll post if I find one that seems to be the right one.

Edit to add: Hey Doc, does it look similar to this assault vest?

edit on 1/11/2010 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Good luck...I tried to find it after I bought it...

As the poster above said, its a LBV or "load bearing vest" as to whether or not its military..I dunno, it looks it though.

Of the LBV's I seen "on-line" it looks like swiss army knives and Eddie Beauer got a hold of one...there are hooks, and loops and pouchs every where...even an area ..I think was made for a big thick metal armor plate..I use it for the clothes..
in 20 mins or so...long as my ADHD don't kick in and I get side tracked....I'll post a few pics, my sony battery is dead ATM, but is on the charger....

ETA the back of this thing...has a duble zipper, and you zip the pack onto it...much like adding a shelf, and that zipper when unzipped folds down behind your rear end....has zipper falps "like a folding tackle box" bag like, and lil cargo holders..
edit on 1-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: better description

edit on 1-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: to offer pics at a later time

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

yes and no.....all the areas and pouchs kinda....no weapons area on this one...and its all canvas... green..and 100% brass...no steel to rust or velcro to rip...
As I edited above, soon as my bat charges ...pics....

ETA the front looks more like this, but the back is "as seen from 50 feet" an upside down horse shoe look from the zipper/mount area, that also unzips and folds down...could be used as a seat in wet weather...
When your pack is detached...
edit on 1-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

forgot linky compare.ebay.com...
edit on 1-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: to add linky ADD kickin in

I think I figured it out!!!! I think the back already had or still had one "add on" piece to a pack already on it......it removes too...and highly resembles the others esp the humvee LBV

pics

one pic is of the add on piece, one is of the fold down flap....the vest IS an LBV...with a stack or add on pack level...
edit on 1-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: add pics

as usuall...i can screw up any media I touch...the pics were much wider....showing the mount area...on the vest..sorry

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
These types of threads make me feel some know something is up. Am I wrong to assume?
2nd
edit on 11/1/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is what I was thinking when I posted above We had them in the USMC and it was handier than a pocket on a shirt, oh wait it kinda is a pocket on a shirt

I have seen them for 20.00 at a surplus and 30.00 at a pawn shop. I like the idea and I might pick one up today on my way home.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Hey Doc Sorry I was mistaken I am not sure what that is but it is cool and perfect none the less!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I like the look of the compartments, layout and design of this one. Now I'm beyond searching, I'm on a quest! I will try my best to find this vest online. Thanks for the photos.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

ty for the info...hope this works better

edit on 1-11-2010 by Doc Holiday because: feel like Homer Simson.DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join