It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Galaxies: Great Backyard Images (from the noobs-why are we paying NASA?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I was searching around and I came across this one. I have to tell you-AMAZING what the backyard folks are doing. I WANT TO BE ONE-with the right equipment-someday. My personal goal is to have my own Observatory! I am glad they shared what they found. I think there are 15 total-a few here for sampling. Enjoy:

M51 – Whirlpool Galaxy
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2fa355697f3.jpg[/atsimg]
Sombrero Galaxy M104
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3735b771a503.jpg[/atsimg]
Messier 64 – The Black Eye Galaxy
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3de3718e10f4.jpg[/atsimg]

Source: www.space.com...

I swear a person could spend his whole life trying to document this stuff but it wouldn't even be a dent in what is out there. I just love how the noobs can produce some pretty good stuff right here from earth-better than NASA and othe space programs.

I remember a thread a while back that showed a guy getting incredible stuff on Sun eruptions from his back yard. Better than anything being put out for public consumtion.

I think it would be great to have a ATS sky watching thread/group/share project. With all the members we have-being spread out around the globe. I bet we could form one heck of a watch network and many other useable things.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
You really think NASA spends all the billions on taking pictures and sending a rocket up once a while? We are only seeing the top of the iceberg of what they are doing.

Long live wikileaks

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by conar

I didn't know. What else is NASA up to that may not be so known? Please provide some info man.

Are you talking like programs that already have us on the Moon and/or Mars?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Being able to view Messier objects in that kind of quality is less expensive than you would think. My scope can do that.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yes, I know-as far as seeing the moon maybe. But not the stuff in the article photos. There is no way your scope can see that (and I assume you mean the one pictured on the left side).

If so, prove it.
)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by DaMod

Yes, I know-as far as seeing the moon maybe. But not the stuff in the article photos. There is no way your scope can see that (and I assume you mean the one pictured on the left side).

If so, prove it.
)

a few years ago i went to an event on a local "mountain" top (it only has to be over 2000 feet tall to be a mountain, and this one barely makes it). A skywatching group does it about twice a year so that locals can look through the telescopes. There are several folks that bring out some really nice scopes. One guy lugs out a 20" one. With even an 8" scope you can get pics like those in the OP. You can have your mind blown with a 20" scope.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

They are good but again you use anything you can to attack NASA and really just show that you dont think or really know anything about photography or astrophotography.

Although these images are very good they will be a combination of maybe 10,20, even upto a 100 exposures combined to give the final image.

Heres a link go and educate yourself.

astro.nightskypix.com...

If you think these images compete with NASA your looking at the wrong place for your NASA images

IF you ever hope to do pictures like those get some basic photography course done first.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Genome scans have turned up single nucleotide polymorphisms associated with different responses to treatment, but efforts to uncover the mechanism have drawn a blank

new topics

top topics

join