It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the world REALLY handle disclosure?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by FTD Brat

That's easy to say as a generality and without it yet being a fact, but how do you justify the Biblical claim that humans are "made in God's image" when there is a different, more advanced race now in existence? For many believers, it will be a tough pill to swallow, no longer being the pinnacle of creation...regardless of any press releases to the contrary.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the economic fallout though... Can you imagine what the stock market would do after such a revelation? And that's before even any statements about possible tech advances being shared.

Hi Gazrok,

Doesn't this assume that
a) the ETs are not in some way humanoid
b) that they are more superior?

Being more technologically advanced is something to be proud of, but I don't believe I am superior to someone in another part of Earth who earns less than me or whose quality of life does not match my own, by the same token I don't believe Bill Gates is superior to me - just an awful lot richer so why would something similar apply just because they didn't originate on the same planet as me?

While I'm agnostic, I do think the God making men in his own image thing is an allegory, more around intellect and intelligence than physical form, otherwise we would all literally look the same - wouldn't we?
edit on 29-10-2010 by something wicked because: typo

edit on 29-10-2010 by something wicked because: added the Bill Gates bit

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
edit on 29-10-2010 by Truther101 because: Double posted

link   
edit on 29-10-2010 by Truther101 because: double post

link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Disclosure would have to be handled VERY carefully.

I agree to the FULLEST

In addition, the AGENDA of the aliens would be a prime driver in how the secret would be revealed to the public.

Some considerations:

How will it affect the economy? (will new advances make some industries obsolete? what about the economic impact of those lost jobs? if health advances increase lifespans, what about population increases?)

I think this is the main reason why the governments of the world wont even dare to say that they have the technology that provides basically free-energy, because of the economic impact. And thats our biggest mistake to date, basing everything we live for off the economy.

How will it affect organized religion? (we could see some (especially exclusivist religions) claiming the end of the world, mass suicides, inciting holy wars, etc. At the very least, many humans will wonder why they are no longer the most advanced thing out there, and thus, how can they be made in God's image?, etc.)

Religion will always have an issue accepting anything thats other than what they believe in. Its their choice to what they want to believe in and to what extent they will go to. And whatever percentage of humans that actually believe we are the most advanced thing out there should be the first to commit suicide due to them having such a closed minded mind set.

What will the military fallout be? (in addition to economic impact of obsolete weapon systems, what about elements who feel the need to attack a perceived enemy?

It comes to a point where the governments are going to have to have a very organized way of presenting, first, disclosure of the idea of aliens existing in general, seeing how the world reacts and then going from there, with what specific technologies they will release, and then going on to stress to the world that they cant just release it all in one outburst due to the bases of our economy. Even though if that happens there will definitely be a large amount of people demanding that they release everything at once(those not really dependent on the major parts of the economy, but then again, arent we all dependent on the stability of the worlds economy in general?

And these are just if the aliens are PEACEFUL....(and there are many more).

What if disclosure means the aliens are now ready to enslave the planet, or start loading up the food ships, etc.?

When it comes to this, there really is only 2 possibilities:

1. They wait a little more in time for us to kill our selves to take our planet.

2. Or they will just come in an tell us they are taking over, and we cant do absolutely sh** about it due to their technological advancement over us.

It's not as simple as just saying, "Hi folks, guess what? We've been hiding the existence of aliens since 1947, but we want you to know that now they are here!"

This is were the "VERY ORGANIZED WAY" of disclosure comes into play, in which they need to choose either telling us that they knew from the beginning and were "scared" to tell us. or they will forever be liars and say "hey they just popped up yesterday!"

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Religion has to be the number one reason for keeping this secret. Just what if the truth rocked the foundations of organized religion? Just think of all the repercussions. People would panic because then they realize they wouldn't go to heaven when they die. People would really be afraid to die then if they realized that once we are gone, we are gone. Then there are the moral guidelines we follow in religion. All of a sudden all the things the bible and other text teaches us that are wrong would no longer be wrong. People would commit adultery without feeling guilty (that goes on now actually) It would be ok to lie and steal and yes the big one, homosexuality would no longer be an abomination. Society would change because religion controls us. It scares us into being good boys and girls and there has to be some control with billions of people on this planet. This is just part of the reason for the cover-up. I haven't even mentioned the political and economic repercussions and what would happen if this technology thousands of years ahead of us were to get into the wrong hands. People would be freaked out that aliens have been randomly abducting people and a lot of people would be going to prison because of all the illegal things that have been done behind the veil of secrecy.
edit on 29-10-2010 by Greensboro1978 because: adding text

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensboro1978
Religion has to be the number one reason for keeping this secret. Just what if the truth rocked the foundations of organized religion? Just think of all the repercussions. People would panic because then they realize they wouldn't go to heaven when they die. People would really be afraid to die then if they realized that once we are gone, we are gone. Then there are the moral guidelines we follow in religion. All of a sudden all the things the bible and other text teaches us that are wrong would no longer be wrong. People would commit adultery without feeling guilty (that goes on now actually) It would be ok to lie and steal and yes the big one, homosexuality would no longer be an abomination. Society would change because religion controls us. It scares us into being good boys and girls and there has to be some control with billions of people on this planet. This is just part of the reason for the cover-up. I haven't even mentioned the political and economic repercussions and what would happen if this technology thousands of years ahead of us were to get into the wrong hands. People would be freaked out that aliens have been randomly abducting people and a lot of people would be going to prison because of all the illegal things that have been done behind the veil of secrecy.

You have a valid point but not everyone on this planet believes in religion and i can definitely be sure that there are more people that will be affected by the economy than religion. And im surprised that alot of people still dont know that the Vatican ACCEPTS aliens as another CREATION FROM GOD.Link So really the religion part isnt as serious as the economy affecting the world. Lieing, stealing, adulteration, and homosexuality will ALWAYS be existent due to us humans being IMPERFECT, and also needed for the balance between positive and negative in this world for there will never be positive with out the notion of the negative.
edit on 29-10-2010 by Truther101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Oh yeah, normal, open minded people CAN handle disclosure. I know several people that don't believe but would definately accept it.

On the other hand, I DO know an entire family of conservative Baptists that would undoubtedly, not-even-joking-right-now, commit suicide, and have their young children do it, as well.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SFlowers

Thats madness!!! Doesnt that go against their religion though?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther101

I think its far more complex, as what is disclosure?

You need to define a scenario, and we can tell you our idea of what we think the world would do.

Disclosure could be so many different things. Personally i think no way with full disclosure, but who knows with other things.

I really cannot see us getting disclosure in our lifes, except if there is something else going on, and they would want to rush it, which i doubt.

Just look how different generations of people do different things. Our generation, i.e i am 35 now, is the last that had any life at all in private, before the facebook generation came along, and they do not seem to understand what privacy is, as they have lived with facebook and all that now, and they seem to love it.

Just like ufo and stuff, different generations take to things more, if they are exposed to it.

So disclosure depend son what they will tell us, will aliens come, and what the aliens are like.

My biggest question about alien stuff is about time travel. If they can travel teh universe and across dimensions, they would have time travel. I think this is one of the main reasons the ptb keep the stuff quiet, as how could you tell a world there is time travel,a nd time means nothing in effect, something very dangerous.

The implications for many things would be dangerous, but i think time travel is something that keeps this stuff a secret. Could the ptb explain to us, how they will protect our civilistaion against time travel, and what these aliens could do with it in theory.(by the way i think the ptb already have time travel, but as you can guess it would be very dangerous tech to let out wouldn't it)

You see stuff like that the ptb would have to address.

For anyone who cannot guess, time travel and i am saying both ways, means our lifes mean nothing. Can you take your life meaning nothing?
edit on 10/29/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
Can people handle disclosure? Sure! Many welcome the idea.

Can organized religion handle disclosure? Not a chance! It would instantly discredit those who worship deities. Those who have used religion to assume power over others would instantly be stripped of implied power.

It would be the best thing for people, and the worst thing for TPTB. Unless disclosure means they're coming back and need our world or our forced labor. Then it's bad for everyone.

Bingo! I think that's why it's not happened up til this point too. I don't know why though, I can get behind the idea that there are other beings out there besides us and still believe in a supreme creator. I mean, something had to create them too. I sure hope that we weren't Gods one and only shot. Certainly if I were God, I'd have to say, humans, this isn't turning out quite like I planned...ehhhhh, lets give this another try.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
good question. see my thread on the very same question for all the 'rational' replies..

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Yes they are superior. We aren't talking about the difference between "Bill Gates" and your average working stiff. Bill Gates eats, drinks, breathes, and will someday die. Bill Gates makes software and operating systems for personal computers made possible by the invention of the transistor. While this is very interesting and all, it still effectively makes Gates a human, and just another ant compared to a truly old/advanced civilization.

These beings are far beyond that. Far far beyond that. Why would they care of Bill Gates uses primitive software for primitive machines and has billions of dollars? Let me ask you some questions:

Would you think "Bill Gates" (or any human from a Type 0 civilization) was exceptional if you had already met other Type 2 civilizations and even possibly Type 3 civilization(s)? Would you think humans are amazing if you didn't need to breathe, eat, or drink in the way that sustains us? Would you think of Bill Gates (or any person) as exceptional if you had watched them die generation after generation while you still live? Would you find rockets and satellites to be that amazing if your civilization had left their home planet thousands or even millions of years ago in huge star ships? If you were an indestructible alien that did not require a home planet to survive, would you really find earthlings who fear, hurt, and kill eachother that exceptional? Would you think billions of dollars is wonderful if your civilization had no use for money or currency?

While I'm agnostic, I do think the God making men in his own image thing is an allegory, more around intellect and intelligence than physical form, otherwise we would all literally look the same - wouldn't we?

Let me get this right.. You believe that your intelligence is nearly on par with the intelligence that may be responsible for the creation of our univese? Is this an early april fool's joke? Because I'm not laughing.

Wow.

edit on 29-10-2010 by Scramjet76 because: spl

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Other things that have to be considered is the rewriting of human history. I think modern day humans have been around a lot longer than scientists tell us and ETs would have to be factored into our history. What if they had a hand in our creation? How would ancient structures on the back side of the moon fit into human history? did we build those structures in the remote past or did aliens? Disclosure is an extremely complex issue and its not as simple as saying they're here. Disclosure won't happen unless something forces it to happen. However if disclosure were to happen and it shattered religious beliefs, it would be much easier to put the "New World Order" in place. Something to think about.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yeah, it does. But they tend to be kind of...not-really-christian christians? In example, they would rather kill themselves than live in a world where there's life on other planets, because it doesnt say in Genesis, "And then on the eighth day, God said "let there be life throughout the universe."..."; and they would rather have family meetings about other people's (coughMYcough) sin than "judge not.." etc etc...

They're just the kind of superconservative christians that give the whole religion a bad name. Westboro Baptist sort of conservative. And I have no doubt they'd give their kids rat poison. They already lock them in rooms, so, you know, they really don't care about abusing them or going against some parts of their religion to maintain their delusions

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Lots of great information here and perspectives.

I knew from reading the OP that the thread would eventually lead to a conversation about many thigns.. including religion.

So, I will state my case.

Its hard to say what could happen in disclosure. I believe that disclosure in terms of we would be told by TPTB that it would be a safe bet for a smoother transition into a new world knowledge. If the other worldy people just showed up and were like "Hey, were from space. Cool eh?" it may be a bit of a shocking matter.

I myself woudln't want the responsibility of figuring out how do you plan a disclosure like this.

To consider that TPTB would release the information, I believe that peopel would be so shocked and awed that the negative aspects like, how long have you known? was this kept from us? (in my opinion, obviously.) would be outweighed by everyone saying "wow, what now."

On the other hand, just showing up in our skies would be scary. It would be a mass panic.

I'm also going to address the issue of religion here. This is something that I have often thought of. I also thought the most interesting scenario would be if we shared elements or aspects of belief with another race, that was influenced only in their own development. Do they believe in a chosen one/ do they have different beliefs? Any, really, of the outcomes are so interesting. I would love to get into my own ideas on religion and how we might be able to find common elements between us and another species, but it will stray too far from OP. So, I'll save it for another time.

We will never know, until it happens. We may be waiting.. a long time.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SFlowers

Great point! Seriously "religious" peoples that are the type that you just explained dont even deserve to have the title of being Baptist! Due to them using the "rules" that are convenient for them!

Side Note: In reference to the Genesis quote, wouldnt it make sense that our current Bible is for Earth only? and maybe theres other books that did mention other possibilities but were burned back in the 4th Century AD by Emperor Constantine! I read that there was a huge gathering of Priests in which they discussed the books of the books of the bible and agreed to keep only a handful amount of books in our current bible and burn the rest!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yeah, I totally agree

actually, I know a little bit about the bible thing, if you wanted to u2u me we could talk about it more in depth so we're not spamming the thread

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Hi Gazrok,

Doesn't this assume that
a) the ETs are not in some way humanoid

a) If they are "human" in appearance, then yes, no issue, but even if humanoid, but not exactly human looking, they'll be different enough to fall under this aspect.

b) By getting here, they are more advanced. We humans pride ourselves on our brain-power and use it to put ourselves above all other creation. If something is more advanced, then our entire idea of self is a bit altered.

I'm agnostic as well, but I was raised a Baptist, and I've studied far more religions than I ever planned to during all my years of college and a couple of degrees. There are many religions (not just Christians) that may be rocked by their existence. Sure, for most in the West, religion is something you do one day a week for a couple of hours, but for many others, it's a big part of their lives and their idea of their place in the world. Can you imagine how Allah's followers would take this? or even Judaism, who hold themselves as God's "chosen" people? Could seriously rock the boat.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yes, I feel the world CAN handle disclosure if it is done slowly over a number of years. Releasing all the information in one batch will just fuel peoples passions and if it is slowly released in batches with a cool-off period in between where people can absorb the new info without freaking out or being hostile toward government entities.

I do hope that disclosure is finally coming and if it is I AM prepared, I do not really know how everyone else would react to the news.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I also think while many would abandon their faiths, many would cling to their faiths. I can see Christian's getting out their rifles to go hunt ET down because they are demons and fallen angels. Beer belly Christian red necks might start an intergalactic war LOL. I'm sure thats already been thought of by those covering this up.

edit on 29-10-2010 by Greensboro1978 because: add text

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join