It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS of ATS' ALIENS and UFO Forum***

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Forgive me if we all collectively balk at this. You even start off the thread with "It seems I have to say this every few months..." Well gee, maybe because you say it once and then your team never mods the threads themselves. Maybe, just maybe, that has something to do with it? A quick show of force every few months and then Zero enforcement of the rules leads the unruly members to act as boorish as they want.

Instead of posting a "Civility in Discourse" blah blah blah every few months you actually take the time to mod the behavior of those who consistently detract from topics by bringing it down to the lowest common denominator every. single. time.

Crazy idea, I know.

/flame on

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It is good to see that you have jumped on this situation Springer. I am also a new member of ATS and I have found that of all the forums that I have visited and posted on, there is something about the "ALIENS/ UFOS" forum that seems to bring out the worst in people. I understand that those who post in this forum seem to be some of the most passionate members on ATS, whether they are believers or skeptics, but regardless how much you believe or how skeptical you may be on the subject, ultimately, you must be respectful to your fellow posters. It always seems that when things aren't going with a particular flow, all rules of integrity are thrown out and folks decide that the best course of action is to "single others out" and personally attack them. I know I grow tired of coming on and having to scroll through post after post of a couple of members battling it out in kindergarten fashion, which usually culminates with the whole, "my dad can beat up your dad", mentality and temperament. It is no surprise to me that the study and subject of aliens or ufos can't get a fair shake in the mainstream, especially when these are the types of individuals heading the charge. Instead of screaming at other like 4 year olds, wouldn't it make more sense to use that energy to band together and do something positive to find answers for the field? Get rid of the superiority complexes and egos and work together, that is why we all came to ATS to begin with to "work together" and to find the truth.

edit on 27-10-2010 by openmind444 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I think it needs to be made clear that what I wrote does go BOTH WAYS. The "True Believers" who ridicule the Skeptics with posts full of "Debunk this", "Wait 5 minutes, the crazed debunkers will be here", etc... will be dealt with as well.

We are GROWN UPS (at least you claimed to be when you registered). Grown ups don't talk to each other like that in person and we won't stand for it here on ATS. Before you post your reply ask yourself if you would say it to the face of a 6'5" tall, 345 pound NFL Linebacker's face.

If the answer is no, then don't post it.

It's easy to get frustrated over youtube videos, so what? If you can't discuss them in a civil manner, impart your analysis/opinion without "getting a dig in" or making a snide remark, then DON'T READ video threads.

Conversely, if you can't handle someone pointing out that the "lights in the youtube video" are identical to the air traffic over "XYZ" airport and here's the proof, then DON'T READ video threads.

Seriously, this not hard to figure out.

WRT, all the complaints about garbage threads/topics:

It makes me laugh when I see people complain about "outlandish threads" in a forum titled "Aliens and UFOs".
What, exactly, are you expecting?

Who is the all knowing judge of what is or is not "outlandish"?

This is a DISCUSSION FORUM, this forum is here to discuss what 99% of the world thinks is "outlandish". This forum is NOT the PR Network to improve Ufology's reputation with the masses. While we will not tolerate hoaxes or charlatans, we will absolutely allow the civil discussion of ANYTHING germane to the topics the forum is here for.

Just because YOU think it's crazy or outlandish does not give you the right to derail a discussion others are enjoying. If YOU don't like the discussion then DON'T POST.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Awesome...that's why your the boss Springer! And I couldn't agree more!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Well put !

Still a newbie here but lately I have decided to lurk. Read most of the threads but only choose to participate at minimum. Not because I avoid debates or avoid starting them but the experience has to be fun. Personal attacks are everything but...fun. Name calling, OP bashing, personal truths being shoved down your throat (by both hardcore believers and hardcore debunkers) are a great way to lessen the experience. Having a paragraph argued sentence by sentence just to make an egoistical personal point (over and over and over again) is everything but...fun. Not that it happened to me, it hasn't as far as I know, but it is a constant happening.

Yet I still enjoy being around and still think this site is top notch, compared to what's out there...

This thread needs to be read by ALL and I would recommend sending an "at large" PM regarding it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I think this is a good idea that would help the mods. Does anyone else agree?

I think all off topic comments should be deleted and should be allowed to be moderated at some degree by the creator of the topic. Such as if i created a topic and someone came in badmouthing without any evidence or real debate on the subject the topic creator should be able to mark these comments for review by the moderators and should be deleted accordingly so we can actually get dug in to the topic at hand instead of sifting through pages of ignorance.
edit on 27-10-2010 by brizellious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by brizellious

The "Alert" button is the tool you are looking for. Look at the profile section of every post (where the avatar is on the left side) and you'll see a button labeled "member". Simply scroll over it and look at the drop down menu for "ALERT!".

Springer...
edit on 10-27-2010 by Springer because: clarity

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

No, what you are saying is not hard to understand at all. People just want to rationalize their bad behavior. If some people buy it they feel its legitimized even though in reality it is not, and they know it too.
edit on 27-10-2010 by boomadatigger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A couple general rules of posting I use when emotions are high or if I feel like responding quickly.

1) I look at what I am about to post carefully, I type it out in word, or word pad, leave it for a few minutes or even hours this give me time to reflect to make what I am posting sound intelligent. Which is very hard for me to do quickly.

2) Ask myself a question, does my post sound offensive or attack the other person, if so, then I am not trying to communicate or share information, but control the other person and stir emotions.

3) What am I trying to accomplish, to tick someone off or to convey information in a professional manner?

If it's the latter of the two I will earn respect from my fellow ATSers, if not people will start to ignore what I have to say, and/or end up in childish fluff, in that particular thread, that no one likes to wade though.

4) If someone is new, be nice, they don't know all the T&C's and most likely are willing to learn.

5) Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
edit on 27-10-2010 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i'm new here, so thanks for the heads up.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
one question, why isn't my avatar showing?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MZYYY

I totally agree with what you're saying about ATS members investing time and research in their threads.
Also agreed is the fact that most of the newbies that are getting raked over the coals are the ones who post something ignorant that they didn't even take 10 seconds to google before posting it.
Case in point: the UFO CGI orb thread a week or so ago.....I read it before it had even been moved to the "HOAX" forum and had to restrain myself from making a comment because I knew I'd probably get my hand slapped for being a smarta$$. However, I'm your classic "witty" smarta$$, rather than the classic "A-hole" smarta$$....buuuut, a smarta$$ nonetheless.
I often have to re-remember that just because I can laugh at myself and take it with a grain of salt, doesn't mean that everyone else can do the same.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I think it needs to be made clear that what I wrote does go BOTH WAYS. The "True Believers" who ridicule the Skeptics with posts full of "Debunk this", "Wait 5 minutes, the crazed debunkers will be here", etc... will be dealt with as well.

Allafriggingluhah, that's music to my ears, I've noticed a lot of threads where someone who has no facts will say something like ''watch out, the debunkers will be here soon to say it's a flying tortoise'' or something to that effect, I'd love to see this clamped down upon, it always sets a bad tone to whatever thread it's said in.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I really hope all this actually happens and it is fairly metered out, I often feel that the gods or wannabe gods feel they can by there self important eliteness just be arrogant and rude. Professing that you feel they are an uneducated jerk or too stupid to have critical thinking skills is simply the wrong way to talk to ANYONE.

If the forums descend into cliques then many of us will move along, we don't need to deal with 'keyboard rambo's' (tm) or ego filled abusers. Also there's nothing more sickening to see some poor new guy / gal who says something to one so called 'professional' then to see his 'virtual drinking buddies' go on the attack.

Shameless and cowardly...

Me, I've got a thick skin and enough sense to know when I have not enough knowledge to contribute to a thread but to some one new it's VERY intimidating!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by merryxmas

The deal with the mods being the sole, primary "enforcers," if you will, is the simple tendency in human nature to be preferential. This is a fact, not an opinion. I first discovered ATS in the summer of 2005 while on maternity leave after my first daughter. It became my guilty indulgence during "baby's nap/mommy's free time". I'm weird, I know, most moms are thinking of creative ways to decorate cupcakes and I'm looking forward to my ATS fix.....
Anyway, I've been with ATS ever since, however I didn't finally make the plunge until a month ago because I barely had any free time to read, much less participate.

Having divulged all that seemingly pointless personal info, I've followed ATS for 5 years and can say quite comfortably that, just like any other social venue, ATS has its subtle cliques and obvious favorites. I've seen comments get deleted that weren't necessarily malicious in nature, that I personally thought were funny, but could also see someone who is easily offended & not yet used to the personalities that go along with the avatars, be offended. Maybe even the mod wasn't familiar with the personality that went along with the avatar, thus they had less influence on their decision to delete the post.

One that comes to mind is a post made by a long-time ATS member about farting, which had absolutely nothing to do with the thread. Seriously, I think it all it said was "I just farted". Which also happens to be a one-line post, which is also a big no-no but 80% get away with it while the other 20% get fussed at.
Anyway, personally when I first read the 'farting no-no one-liner,' I busted out laughing because I could be at a funeral and still laugh at a fart joke (I hope the ATS censor doesn't have "fart" on its auto-censor....if it does, then the 4-letter word I keep typing that starts with an "f" is "f@r+" and not the other one...) But the person who was defending their thread and dead serious about their point of view, obviously wouldn't think it so humorous and, rightly so, be offended at being ridiculed in the middle of a heated legitimate discussion. The sad thing was, the comment received about 20 stars before it ever got deleted. (No, I was not one of the people who bestowed a star.....but honestly, and also sadly, it's only because I was still a lurker & hadn't joined yet, because like I said, I can think of no occasion when a fart joke wouldn't be funny)

All that simply put, the mods are familiar with people who have been on here for longer periods of time, many of them have a "virtual" rapport with each other, so naturally some members will be afforded more patience or understanding, thus un-equal opportunity, when making snide, derogotory or smarta$$ comments, especially when you figure in who the combination of mods happen to be for that particular thread.
For harping offensive posters, we have the "ignore" option thankfully.
But honestly, I am fully aware that it is just a matter of time before I make a smart aleck comment that just doesn't resonate well with one particular mod, and I will have my post deleted as well.
Now, having said ALL THAT, Springer's reminders serve to help remind all ATS members, clowns & A-holes alike, that civility is our upmost intent when posting, no matter what our tendency in personality might be.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I'll never understand what the buzz is for a 2nd year biology undergrad with a physics A level heaping what he/she thinks is ridicule on someone they assume is less well educated simply because the innocent poster expressed a belief in nuts and bolts ufology, the world is full of physics phd's who believe in UFOs and alien visitation!!

When a subject is unproven neither side of the belief fence is the intelligence high ground, it's open for discussion and conjecture, when I see a bright bully at work in the ufo forum I lose all respect for whatever views they have elsewhere because they've revealed to me and the world that they are a bully.

There's literally no need for or gain to be had for the aggressor in any act of anonymous keyboard bullying, if you want to influence people and spread your view softy softy catchy monkey might be good advice.

Again for, tmk, the second time in a few weeks Springer has to bring this particular topic up, come on rude sceptics respect his views and value his time, please

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Before you post your reply ask yourself if you would say it to the face of a 6'5" tall, 345 pound NFL Linebacker's face.

Not a good analogy for someone such as myself, because the answer is "Yes, yes I would." Now, what I had to say would never be hateful or mean just for the sake of being mean, but I can't help it if that linebacker happened to be a big-fat titty-baby who couldn't take constructive criticism or laugh at himself in the process. Another problem is that I'm just a stupid girl who can get away with a lot more in person, than I'm afforded online where no one can see body language and facial expressions. So something that is totally meant in jest, can easily be, and usually is in my case, taken seriously and cause offence. Thus something that was meant to laugh "with" a poster, is taken as meaning to laugh "at" a poster.

It makes me laugh when I see people complain about "outlandish threads" in a forum titled "Aliens and UFOs".
What, exactly, are you expecting?

I know, right? Ridonkulous.
Personally, I think that the "proof hounds" in these types of forums are most likely just asking for some type of proof that they can post somewhere else if they deem it good enough. That way someone else does all the work for them. Lazy bastar...ehr, um, I mean "those lazy meanie heads..."

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by merryxmas

Forgive me if we all collectively balk at this. You even start off the thread with "It seems I have to say this every few months..." Well gee, maybe because you say it once and then your team never mods the threads themselves. Maybe, just maybe, that has something to do with it? A quick show of force every few months and then Zero enforcement of the rules leads the unruly members to act as boorish as they want.

Instead of posting a "Civility in Discourse" blah blah blah every few months you actually take the time to mod the behavior of those who consistently detract from topics by bringing it down to the lowest common denominator every. single. time.

Crazy idea, I know.

/flame on

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Glad I got under your skin as I seem to have hit a major nerve. You obviously know you are indeed one of these people and it's good that you do, perhaps you might try to change.
It would be nice to see you around the better forum threads attempting to debunk and discuss them, rather than the usual tripe you seem to stick to. I and others know you can do a better job.

edit on 27-10-2010 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by billymeierprophet
i joined and simply because of my username i got hammered within ten minutes

You don't think that in this particular forum that your username might be just a little inflammatory from the get-go? I don't want to use the phrase, "asking for it," but...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join