It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Weigh Letting Noncitizens Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Here we go again.

Some states are again toying with the idea of letting non-citizens vote in U.S elections. Sure these examples are about local elections, but an obvious slippery slope is created with this and so how long before people start saying, "we have the right to vote in local elections, why not national elections, too?".

source

Portland residents will vote Nov. 2 on a proposal to give legal residents who are not U.S. citizens the right to vote in local elections, joining places like San Francisco and Chicago that have already loosened the rules or are considering it.

Notice where non-citizens are being given the right to vote - places known for being very liberal. Poll after poll has shown that real liberals are actually a small minority - around 20% - of the electorate. So to me, this looks like just another attempt (like voting early and often and voting dead people) by the left to pad the ballot box.

edit on 10/25/2010 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It's really very simple.

If you want the right to vote.

Become a citizen.

And, oh please, with the, "It's too hard to become a citizen" bleating.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I saw this when I got up. Sickening.

Why bother being a citizen at all?

If non-citizens enjoy all the protections of the constitution and the right to vote, hence being represented in legislatures when laws are being written, then what benefit do I get by being a citizen?

Further, what stops a foreign power from using non-citizen "agents" in the US to shape policy and laws by electing officials favorable to or under the direct control of said foreign power?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Given the amount of states that backed Arizona's new law against illegals (all of them that I know of besides Cali and Obama) I don't see this happening, to vote you should have to pass a test much like getting a license, if you have no clue or care for what is really going on why should you have a deciding vote....although the real problem also is no one does in office what they say during the election process

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by all answers exist

Not to mention the "small" issue of language.

If you don't understand English, you don't understand the issues, which means you're most likely just voting for someone you are told to vote for.

And printing ballots in other languages is a definite no-no IMO. It just introduces another possible fraud issue since now we have to (hopefully) be checking the translations for accuracy.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Most American citizens don't even bother to vote and those that do are ignorant of the issues.
www.earlcarl.org...

I'm on the fence with this one. If you pay taxes; you should have some input in who determines the way your money is spent.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

those silly leftists in america those liberals ranting on about foreign money was buying us elections by the republicans now the left has one up'd the right now they are getting FOREIGNERS to vote in us elections.

bs like op said you want to vote being legal if not you have no right to vote.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Most American citizens don't even bother to vote and those that do are ignorant of the issues.
www.earlcarl.org...

I'm on the fence with this one. If you pay taxes; you should have some input in who determines the way your money is spent.

No, if you want to vote, become a citizen - period.

What other people choose to do with their right to vote is hardly the issue here.

Anybody know of any other countries that allow non-citizens to vote?
edit on 10/25/2010 by centurion1211 because: added more text

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

My Friend centurion1211, Needless to say, my wife and daughter are Mad as Hell, they read about this today.
They both worked very hard to earn their citizenship. 5 years of community college in English classes and then the application for citizenship, the interview and the swearing in ceremony. After waiting for 16 months for their interview for their Visa to America to join me here.
Now after all that and much more,,,,,,,,, the Liberals want to give away our hard earned rights and freedoms?
It's sicking,,, all because their losing their power.

My wife and daughter are proud members of Arizona's Tea Party and you can bet, they don't like and won't tolerate Illegals.
edit on 25-10-2010 by guohua because: spell check

top topics

join