It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Postponed! I feel better, do you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It was a miscalculation in the math....

See

The end of the world is coming! Or here, maybe. Or did it already happen?

It's a good news/bad news situation for believers in the 2012 Mayan apocalypse. The good news is that the Mayan calendar may not end on Dec. 21, 2012 (and, by extension, the world may not end along with it). The bad news for prophecy believers? If the calendar doesn't end in December 2012, no one knows when it actually will -- or if it has already.

A new critique, published as a chapter in the new textbook "Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World" (Oxbow Books, 2010), argues that the accepted conversions of dates from Mayan to the modern calendar may be off by as much as 50 or 100 years. That would throw the supposed and overhyped 2012 apocalypse off by decades and cast into doubt the dates of historical Mayan events. (The doomsday worries are based on the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, much as our year ends on Dec. 31.)

More: www.foxnews.com...

Thoughts ATS-ers

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Okay so this was on Fox News and Yahoo news.
Why does this seem like misinformation???

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin

I think you just answered your own question.
But seriously, with many scientists believing that time travel is/will be possible, how would we even know if someone has already changed our timeline?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin

I think it is just a feed from "LiveScience.com"

OT

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 1026TimePrompt

You can't change a "timeline" by going back in time. You can only create a new path in an alternate universe. What happened in your life, your world, your reality has happened. It had to happen for something to be changed. Nothing is ever rewritten, only new stories are created in parallel.
Now if you went back in time, changed an event, and then could somehow navigate your way into the dimension where these "changes" took affect, then you could benefit from these events, but who says you'd want to.
Besides; you'd need a space ship in order to take advantage of a time machine.
edit on 21-10-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Welcome to ATS Mac...

Thank you for the post!

OT

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The guy who wrote the book or whatever that is now internet front page "news" is saying that the calendar recycles just like ours and that creating it for 3000+ years is totally arbitrary and that based on which cycle in the calendar you pick (whether 100 or 50 or 3000 year cycles) is completely arbitrary. In other words the Mayans picked a completely arbitrary date to start and end the many intricate cycles contained in their calendar. That's the argument as I understand it. That's what's being pushed down our throats by MSM. They drew straws or rolled dice or just picked a number. With an argument like that seems like it would have been easier to just declare the Mayan calendar subversive literature like the 'Old Farmer's Almanac.'

So they picked a date out of a hat to begin and another date out of a hat to end and then spent years computing and compiling into one rendering many celestial cycles. Makes alot of sense.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

I can buy that the Mayans picked some random date for the cycle to begin and end. It makes perfect sense, but the question I have is this:
How/Why did the Celts, Egyptians, Hopis, as well as a ton of African tribes come up with the same year? Why were the ancient civilizations obsessed with the stars, and alignments, the movement of the sun and moon? I think there's a connection here that shouldn't be overlooked.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
but the question I have is this:
How/Why did the Celts, Egyptians, Hopis, as well as a ton of African tribes come up with the same year? ...

Good question!

Do you have sources for the ones you mentioned? Would be interesting reading

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

What's weird is the connections between the Mayans and the Celts and Egyptians. All three were obsessed with astronomy, all three used mummification, and all three sacrificed the living. There was definitely a world relationship that was lost over the ages. Here are a few websites talking about their connections to 2012. There are thousands of sites, if you feel like spending a month or two reading up.

pakalahau.wordpress.com...

www.2012unveiled.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Of course they need to postpone the end of the world. The time has come to start looking for a new apocalypse for the new age pseudoscience con-men to capitalize on. Even the gullible people who bought 2012 hook line and sinker are starting to realize its all bunk... but you know what Barnum said about suckers...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire

What's weird is the connections between the Mayans and the Celts and Egyptians. All three were obsessed with astronomy, all three used mummification, and all three sacrificed the living. There was definitely a world relationship that was lost over the ages. Here are a few websites talking about their connections to 2012. There are thousands of sites, if you feel like spending a month or two reading up.

pakalahau.wordpress.com...

www.2012unveiled.com...

Thank you Mac, I'll give it an hour or two...

The supposed correllation is intriquing...I suspect manufactured, but I'll investigate friend...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

I don't know off the top of my head about vague connections but I do know that no calendar that I've looked at is based on arbitrary anything. Most are based on the movements of celestial bodies with appropriate start and end dates. Some are based on conquerers' conceptions of a 'NWOC' (New World Order Calendar.) This latest Mayan fal-de-ral smells like the latter to me. 2012 isn't going away and the world economy needs to be protected and the Mayan calendar is in the way so it needs to be discredited or altered or re-interpreted - hence the story; hence the thread. What would you be doing with the last 2 years of life as we have known it if some celestial event was about to change everything?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
2012 and Nibiru craps are being orchestrated by Zionists as "parallel conspiracy focus" away from 911.

How many of us realize that no mainstream media supports 911 conspiracy? And look at how aggressive it's been continuously attacked by debunkers.

How many of us realize that mainstream media conveniently play along the 2012 conspiracy?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
That's been known for a while. The calendar doesn't end, just enters a new cycle.

Either way, for people who still believe in 2012 and an armageddon, please PM me for cheap tinfoil hats.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

This thread is about MSM debunking and dealing out of the 2012 Mayan end date. I appreciate what you say about 911 - because of the threads I read upon joining ATS which convinced me that 911 is and was a staged event, I sometimes forget that we're still officially into the Bin Laden wandering around a mountain and pooping in a cave scenario. I think the 2 events are intimately related and that 2012 and celestial manifestations leading up to it could be the reason for 911 but I respect your view and just offer another viewpoint based on my own investigations.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Of course they need to postpone the end of the world. The time has come to start looking for a new apocalypse for the new age pseudoscience con-men to capitalize on. Even the gullible people who bought 2012 hook line and sinker are starting to realize its all bunk... but you know what Barnum said about suckers...

"Someone better turn this pointy handle into a soft ring so its safer or kids are going to hurt themselves"

edit on 29-10-2010 by iamcamouflage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Due to rain?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If we were safe from prophecy for another 50 to 100 years I would rejoice but we have enough politicians,religious zealots,bankers,and morons to ruin things.. I have always looked at 2012 as the end of the world as "we know it" Meaning spiritual enlightenment, scientific breakthrough, something new for us to try and comprehend for the next millennium.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
These type of reports will be coming out more and more during the lead up to 2012 to calm the nerves of people who are afraid of what 'may' happen. Honestly no one knows if something will or won't happen. Heck, it could happen tomorrow.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join