It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Secretary warns public to remain vigilant in the face of a 'highly likely' terrorist attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Home Secretary warns public to remain vigilant in the face of a 'highly likely' terrorist attack

www.telegraph.co.uk

Mrs May urged the public to remain vigilant in the face of a ''highly likely'' attack by international terrorists.

''We are absolutely clear that we do have a very serious threat from international terrorism - that is why the threat level here in the UK is at severe,'' she told ITV1's Daybreak.

"Mrs May was speaking as Britain's new National Security Strategy was expected to name terrorism and cyber-attacks on vital computer networks the biggest threats to the UK in the immediate future"
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-10-2010 by captiva because: spelling

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
So Theresa May states that an attack is "highly likely" on the morning that the new National Security Strategy is to be announced to parliament.

I expect we are about to lose part of our internet freedom!

If you remember a headline from back in April of 2009,
"Every phone call, email or website visit will be monitored by the state under plans to be unveiled next week".

Link www.telegraph.co.uk...

In the article it mentions that a new proposal by Jaque Smith, the then " Home Secretary" The proposal would give police and security services the power to snoop on every single communication made by the public with the data then likely to be stored in an enormous national database.

GHCQ then denied that the 1 billion "Snooping" programme was for covert operations.

I think this agenda is now firmly back on the table and expect mention of a communication monitoring priority when the statement is made to parliament.

This could be a historical day for all the wrong reasons.

Respects

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-10-2010 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

I expect we are about to lose part of our internet freedom!

If you remember a headline from back in April of 2009,
"Every phone call, email or website visit will be monitored by the state under plans to be unveiled next week".

Link www.telegraph.co.uk...

In the article it mentions that a new proposal by Jaque Smith, the then " Home Secretary" The proposal would give police and security services the power to snoop on every single communication made by the public with the data then likely to be stored in an enormous national database.

To be honest, unless you have something to hide what's the big deal?

I have no issue with any of my internet history or phone calls or e-mails or anything being inspected by the police or gov.

I have zero to hide and zero to worry about.

I suggest that the people that complain must have something to hide for them to object in the first place.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

In my opinion she is just paving the way to the new internet policy being shared to parliament this afternoon. For all online users this could be the day we have all feared for so long. I hope not !

respects

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

You have to wonder, they have taken away our freedom, privacy and a healthy chunk of out tax money in the name of protecting us from terror, and then tell us an attack is imminent?

May aswell give us our freedom and money back as it seems nothing has improved..

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

In my opinion she is just paving the way to the new internet policy being shared to parliament this afternoon. For all online users this could be the day we have all feared for so long. I hope not !

respects

I think its time we started sending mass death threats to THEM. See how they like it, but no. We would be arrested and charged at worst as terrorist, at least as harassment. Yet it is perfectly fine for them to threaten us through the media, and through their #ed up foreign policies that they still have done nothing to rectify.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

suggest that the people that complain must have something to hide for them to object in the first place.

Funny you should say that because the way it looks, the only ones not effected will be those in Goverment..
I say monitor me all you want, 24/7, but just let me do the same to those in power..
Seems fair to me..

edit on 18-10-2010 by scitpeks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
You still have more chance of getting knocked down by a bus on your way to work than you have being a vistim of terrorism. If it happens it happens, thats the attitude most people had with the IRA and dont see why our behaviors should change.

There's a lot more to worry about than being killed in a terrorist attack.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

You need to tone your anger down a bit!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I cannot stand responses like that.

What gives the goverment the right to intrude into every corner of my life. If they get access to spy on every bit of information I put on the internet, whats next? CCTV in my bedroom, in my fridge.

With the expenses fiasco, the bank bailouts, the 2 faced lying of the electorate to get elected (not so much with Cons/Lib Dem; but still) & the use of terrorist threats to try to keep people in a constant state of fear, & segrigation from the muslim communites in the uk. Do you really trust the goverment to use these new powers for there intended purpose?

Do you trust your goverment???

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
You still have more chance of getting knocked down by a bus on your way to work than you have being a vistim of terrorism. If it happens it happens, thats the attitude most people had with the IRA and dont see why our behaviors should change.

There's a lot more to worry about than being killed in a terrorist attack.

That comment was very short-sighted.

Yes you are right if you mean to suffer physical damage or death as a result of a terrorist act. But we are all effected as a result of terrorism, whether that is economical or service disruptions.

Though having lived in London at the time of the IRA threat and then again from Middle East terrorism I have to say that business as usual is the norm and no one really modifies their behaviour in fear of terrorism. Terrorism as in creating terror doesn't really work here in England.

Maybe they should try a different approach?

Korg.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bun-G

I cannot stand responses like that.

What gives the goverment the right to intrude into every corner of my life. If they get access to spy on every bit of information I put on the internet, whats next? CCTV in my bedroom, in my fridge.

With the expenses fiasco, the bank bailouts, the 2 faced lying of the electorate to get elected (not so much with Cons/Lib Dem; but still) & the use of terrorist threats to try to keep people in a constant state of fear, & segrigation from the muslim communites in the uk. Do you really trust the goverment to use these new powers for there intended purpose?

Do you trust your goverment???

I trust myself.

I don't rely on the government or anyone else for that matter to feed me or get me a job or achieve the things I do in my life. I do it all myself.

If the police came knocking on my door and wanted to check my house, i'd give them the keys and say be my guest. You know why? Cause I got nothing to hide or worry about.

Do you really think the government is interested in my life? as you say what happens in my bedroom or what the contents of my fridge is?? Nope... of course not.... they would be interested however if I was doing something illegal and that is my point.

Let me give this as an example....

If you lived in a town where some of the streets were poorly illuminated and you found that the mugging rate on those streets was far higher than elsewhere. What would you do? Leave it dark or light it up bright as day???

See my point?

Korg.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divine Strake

You need to tone your anger down a bit!

I cant help it. These people are destroying the planet and manipulating us so we cant stop them. How can I not be angry?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
i dont know which is more sad,

them outright telling you they will take your freedoms, or you giving them up so willingly.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Yes you are right if you mean to suffer physical damage or death as a result of a terrorist act. But we are all effected as a result of terrorism, whether that is economical or service disruptions.

Maybe, just maybe if we stopped bombing the bejezus out of their homes then they might leave ours alone.
Thats what I think....

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
In my opinion the emphasis should be placed on the proposals to parliament this afternoon. Im sure all this hype over a "severe" threat warning is just the gunpowder being used to fire that gun. I noted another thread stating that Obama is looking at Australia to see where they are going with there internet snooping plans as well.

Its amazing how co-ordinated all these countries and heads of state are...yea?

respects

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Erm, what makes people think that they aren't being spied on already?

As for the Home Secretary being a "fear-spreading bitch", that's just your problem with how you are construing the message. The announcement didn’t frighten me or most other people I expect, stating the facts is not “fear-spreading”.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by scitpeks

Maybe, just maybe if we stopped bombing the bejezus out of their homes then they might leave ours alone.
Thats what I think....

Star for that...

I totally agree. We should stop straight away... but the issue is that it's going to take a few generations before they can move on. The actions of today have defined the future... and it's not pleasant... not pleasant at all...

Korg.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

.....Get off ATS.

Ok, kidding. But I expect sometime in the future a cyber attack which will be used as an excuse to cut down a good deal on privacy. My bet is the next attack will be cyber.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join