It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whom Would You Tolerate As Your Neighbor? Global Edition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

The Globe and Mail has an intriguing survey of levels of tolerance in countries around the world. Specifically, people in various nations were polled on whether they would dislike having neighbors who were of a different race, a different religion, spoke another language, were gay, etc. In most categories, the United States falls into the middle region between very tolerant and intolerant locales, suggesting we’re not as open-minded and live-and-let-live as one would expect of a “nation of immigrants.”

Below, places where the most citizens say they would object to having a neighbor of another race:

www.disinfo.com...
www.theglobeandmail.com...

I found this information interesting and I wonder what factors contribute to this analysis?
There is not much said in this article, but at the same time it incorporates numerous things to ponder.
Why do you think this is how it is?

Peace,
spec

ETA: One of my thoughts is that the more homogenous a culture the less tolerance it has for foreigners, maybe?
edit on 15-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: fix pic

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Your graph cut off the first 26 most tolerant nations, including the first five which were:
Sweden
Canada
Trinidad
Argentina
United States
Norway.

I don't really have an opinion on many of the nations, as I've never visited many of them. But I do agree on the above being among the most tolerant.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Fixed it, thank you lady

I guess I am not surprised at those results too.

spec

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I would prefer a neighbour to be different enough that I could learn something from them. Different cultures have different cuisine, and I would love to learn some new recipes. A different language would be good to, maybe learn some new words. I wouldn't care if a neighbour was gay, neighbours bedroom activities are none of my business. Religion would depend on if they were pushy people. If someone was always trying to "save" me, I would be trying to avoid them. Non pushy religion/theology/philosophy could bring on some interesting conversation.

That all said, I live on 10 acres, and only currently have 2 other houses near me. I love lots of space.

I also come from a melting pot type of country, and am very curious about cultures.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I can relate snowspirit, diversity(variety) is the spice of life and there is much to learn about each other. Although there are many differences between us there are also similarities and I have found other cultures to be fascinating and inspiring at times, and the food, Mmmmmmm!!!
Balance though, yes, I too have several acres and live somewhat solitarily here in the country. Socializing is fine, but I gotta have my space too!
Thanks for the reply!

spec

edit on 15-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: sp

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I call BS too, you'd rather spend more time learning than living. when all you currently do is live. Russians move all around you, youre happy to learn russian in order to eat russian food? etc?

Nawww you're gunna stick to your food, your lingo.. start to get a bit pissed at all the russians.. might be nice to buy a rare meat cooked by locals in a foreign style but you're eating local.

thats just how things are...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Whatcha callin' BS on badw0lf? One doesn't have to learn the language to enjoy the food, nor would one have to enjoy the food to learn the language. We can appreciate diversity and emanate others without becoming them, no?
I worked with a guy from Russia and was fascinated b stories of his culture, and of their history. His sense of humor was certainly different, but I grew to appreciate it.
Granted, you are right in that deep down many of us harbor a resistance to be assimilated, but we are just talking about neighbors here, and I think there is always something to learn from one another.

spec
edit on 15-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

If I visited Russia, I would want to learn enough Russian to know what I was eating, unless it was obvious. I have watched some cooking style shows that look like some of their food I wouldn't even try. I am fairly adventurous with food, but certain cuts/kinds of meats I won't eat.

If a Russian moved in next door, to me here in Canada, chances are they would be wanting to learn English, if they didn't know it already, just to be able to understand where they live. I could learn some Russian, they could learn English. I don't think it would be easy, and their written language looks weird to me, with what looks like backwards letters, but why wouldn't we get along? From what I've heard about Canadians and Russians, we have no problems. They also have a very cool accent. I like listening to different accents.

I also like the Aussie accent very much

People I would have problems with are cultures where the men think they are better than the women, I can't tolerate that, or religious fanatics. I hate being preached to, and I have a problem with other people thinking they have any authority over me. I have my vices, and want to keep them.

So, yes there are certain cultures I would not want to live near, but most I have no problem with.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I agree again snowspirit and your exceptions are the same as mine. Those would be about the only 2 kind of neighbors I would rather not have. Canada? Glad to have as a neighbor and I might wind up there one day

Peace

top topics

join