It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnel: 'Evolution is a myth.'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
evolution.berkeley.edu...
In this link I saw nothing that could not be attributed to Adaptation. A lot of nice theory but that is about it.
The test with the flies was interesting but I do not put much weight in the fact that they preferred to mate with the ones they were caged with.

• Modes of speciation
OK, according to the graph in this link bi-racial children could be a step in evolution? So where does the "new Spiecies" come in? They are still human, or bugs according to the graph.

• Allopatric speciation
Still bugs.

• Peripatric speciation
Still bugs

• Parapatric speciation
Still bugs, as for the grass? Adaptation to the soil around the mines.

• Sympatric speciation
So the flies adapted to the new type of hawthorn that was introduced to their environment. I do not see how that or the fact they like to mate with their hawthorn buddies proves evolution..

• Reproductive isolation
A bowerbird is still a bowerbird. The insects with variably-shaped genitalia was interesting though.

• Cospeciation
laughed at this one, gopher lice, they seem to be really reaching.

• Speciation in plants
interesting about the plants but they are totally different than animals and most of what was said could be linked to Adaptation

Interesting read but I still only see theory for everything other than Adaptation.
Sorry about derailing your thread. Just trying to figure out why people continually attack Christians when they have no more proof for their own views.
Quadrivium.

edit on 14 October 2010 by weedwhacker because: "DTS"--dyslexic typing syndrome. Maybe I haven't evolved enough, yet.....

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Too bad that many creationists are shortsighted on evolution. What I regret more - because it's rarely recognized - is how people who support evolution see creationism as something stupid and ignorant.
The funny thing is: I understand both of you. Been there.

Now what schools will have to decide is whether they want to teach their kids scientific methods of explaining the world or relying on belief (or: old scriptures).
Since Religion is something which is taught at school, the real difficulty for schools is clearly visible:
To teach kids two different concepts, without saying either one is true, while explaining how people have come to it / why they believe it. Depending on their religious beliefs, the kids would either take one side or the other.
I think the important thing here is simply to explain both points of view and make people accept eachothers opinions. Which is the hard point, because the concept of belief instead of evidence is very hard to explain, and this is where many people fail.

What do you think?
edit on 14-10-2010 by incarnating because: my keyboard is at fault! ò_ó

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

What created God? God couldn't come from nothing. Look over your logic here!

What created the nothing that made the big bang, which had to be something, because a big bang couldn't come from nothing!???
(i think that's what I ment to say)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Please let me point this.

I am a christian and I also believe in Evolution, Reincarnation, E.T. and many Conspiracy Theories. What I don't believe is in politicians.

There are many christians like me and we don't like how some other christians behave but they will have answer to God some day.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Well let's jump into it! Head first friend.

Source link
This link gives good info!
Wiki

Here's a much longer video on google video.
video.google.com...#

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I am sorry, I feel that would be unfair to you as I do not have the bible on video I can post for you.

I will take a look at your thread on Evolution and reply to it. I don't wish to damage this thread any farther.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Well if you hadn't posted this I might have never known but now that I do I'll have to vote for her! Thanks for sharing this!!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Well i will say most americans believe in the christian god, so the thus must not believe in evolution, as the two are not compatable lol, also i believe all relegious, and scientific thoughts should be tought in school without any bias.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Well i will say most americans believe in the christian god, so the thus must not believe in evolution, as the two are not compatable lol, also i believe all relegious, and scientific thoughts should be taught in school without any bias.
edit on 14-10-2010 by skischoow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by skischoow
Well i will say most americans believe in the christian god, so the thus must not believe in evolution, as the two are not compatable lol, also i believe all relegious, and scientific thoughts should be taught in school without any bias.

The two are perfectly compatible.

God could have set of the big bang, doing it in such a way that this universe would come into being and life on Earth would evolve as it has.

Do you believe God is not clever enough to do this?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

The Christian God? Only Christians believe in the Christian God. What about the Jewish God, Muslim God or any other God? Hypocrisy? God and Science should be separate. Doing so will destroy the earlier and bring the larger as the dominate force of knowledge and human nature.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I don't care what she says about witchcraft or evolution. If she against the idiotic and useless Healthcare Bill and massive pork Stimulus bills she gets my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
The crazy that comes from this woman continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. First, the revelation short while back that she once "dabbled in witchcraft". Seeing as how most of her "base" are right-wing Christians, one would think they'd have been outraged at this news.

That statement was not important. The incident happened when she was a teenager in high school. Lots of kids play with the occult. She then rejected it and became a steady Christian. So why wouldn't the far right Christians like her? She dabbled as a teen and rejected it. It makes perfect sense that they'd LOVE her for it.

her statements regarding evolution, believing it a "myth",

Evolution is a theory. It's not a myth and it's not a fact.
There is proof of natural selection, but not of one species becoming another species.
And of course the missing link hasn't ever been found.
It won't be either. Our space alien grandparents cleaned up their footprints rather well.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

The Christian God? Only Christians believe in the Christian God. What about the Jewish God, Muslim God or any other God?

What are you on about?
I never specified the Christian God.

Hypocrisy?

I have no idea why you use the word 'hypocrisy' as a question.
Are you suggesting I'm being hypocritical in some way?

God and Science should be separate.

"Should?" Says who?
My belief in God pervades my life. Therefore, to me, God and science can never be separate.

However I don't want beliefs taught in school science classes. It's stupid to take time away from teaching science to teach: "God did it." Parents and churches can teach that if they want. Science is for teaching how this world works, and how it came to be. Science teaching needs to be restricted to scientific research and theories, things that can be proven or disproven by other scientists. Anything else in a science class is a waste of time.

Doing so will destroy the earlier and bring the larger as the dominate force of knowledge and human nature.

Why do you write gibberish?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

God has no place in government or in science. I have my own reasons to go against any God and I refuse to answer the rest of your questions.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Sorry.....this thread has languished, but in light of the recent debate that Ms. O'Donnel participated in, and her apparent vast ignorance.....ummmm....it seems to fit into the tone of the OP ('my' OP)....

And today, O'Donnell also took issue with the assertion that the Constitution mandates a separation of church and state.

In a debate at Widener University Law School, O'Donnell and Democratic nominee Chris Coons, clashed over whether teaching creationism in public schools would violate the First Amendment protection against government establishment of religion.

To read source, and watch the VIDEO!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I thought again, and see how IDIOTICALLY uneducated (or, mind-altered) this woman is....because, in her attempt at "debate" with her opponent, she asks the specific question, "Is the phrase 'Separation of Church and State' in the Constitution?" Apallingly, she smirks at the audience (who are laughing AT her, not WITH her) as if she's made a point, or stuck a zinger.....how pathetic.

She used a tried-and-true tactic known as "argument from ignorance", with the implied "GOTCHA" attempt----because, as ANYONE familiar with the Constitution knows, the "exact" phrase, "separation of church and state" is not written in the original language of the document.

She (after, apparently, being "trained" by handlers) thought she'd scored....but, in fact, the ORIGINAL verbiage, and many interpretations since, in modern vernacular, support the "separation" intent, even IF the exact phrases aren't written into the (late 18th century) version. This ploy and attempt to twist and ridicule is juvenile, at best.......

Is there, after seeing this debacle, any doubts as to her qualifications???

(May I invoke "Sarah Palin" here? Or, is that too much?....)

edit on 19 October 2010 by weedwhacker because: Text

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Meant to EDIT the above post....even though it's only about 2 and one-half hours later...message "OVER FOUR HOURS" came up, so, a new post.

Regarding O'Donnell....oh,my!!! There is more!!!! Talk about "crash and burn" (I mean, it IS obvious, by now? Yes?)

Prior to the above exchange, as I posted....this ensued:

“I didn’t bring my Constitution with me. Fortunately, senators don’t have to memorize the Constitution,” Christine O’Donnell, Delaware’s Republican Senate nominee, declared at the forum, held in the moot courtroom of Widener University.

Ms. O’Donnell attacked her Democratic opponent, Chris Coons, for insisting that public schools teach evolution but not “intelligent design,” which posits that life forms are too complex to have evolved through natural processes and must have been created by a conscious being such as God. Mr. Coons, the New Castle County executive, said that public schools could not teach intelligent design or similar theories, like creationism and creation science, because they were “religious doctrine” rather than science.

“That is a blatant violation of our Constitution,” Ms. O’Donnell said. “The Supreme Court has always said it is up to the local communities to decide their standards.”

That’s generally true–except when it comes to teaching religion-based nonscientific theories of human origin. In 1968, the high court struck down an Arkansas law prohibiting instruction in evolution. In 1987, the court invalidated a Louisiana statute requiring that “creation science,” an antecedent to intelligent design, be taught alongside evolution.

Ms. O’Donnell likened Mr. Coons’s position on evolution to those of “our so-called leaders in Washington” who have rejected the “indispensible principles of our founding.”

When Mr. Coons interjected that “one of those indispensible principles is the separation of church and state,” Ms. O’Donnell demanded, “Where in the Constitution is separation of church and state?”

The audience exploded in laughter.

blogs.wsj.com...

(Interesting to note....my source, above, is from the Wall Street Journal!!!! A publication that is, based on a recent purchaser's political stance, expected to normally, now, be taking a "right wing" slant on things....)!!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Whether they like it or not, I think the 'Left' does themselves a disservice by framing criticism of candidates like O'donnel in such a negative fashion. If the point is to engender fruitful political dialogue, then how can starting a conversation openly attacking and belittling someone be helpful? All it can do is embed people in their camps. That's about all people like her have going for them; liberal hatred. It endears them to a certain demographic. So why play into it?

It just seems like all the 'social' issues are distraction from foreign policy and the economy. I dont really care if she thinks masturbaiting is a sin (and I GASP, understand her reasoning)., I wan to know where she stands on the issues she will actually be effecting. And since i don't live in Delaware, I don't know much about those issues. In NC, the liberals all get to hold their nose and vote for Heath Shuler, because sucks just a little less than his republican competitor.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Evolution is a theory. It's not a myth and it's not a fact.
There is proof of natural selection, but not of one species becoming another species.
And of course the missing link hasn't ever been found.

That's a misnomer that comes from people thinking evolution only refers to the idea of humans evolving from other animals (a theory called 'Common Decent"). " Evolution" means much more than that. Its strict biological definition is "a change in allele frequencies over time.", which is an observed fact. It merely means that life evolves.

It is only through the careful dumbing-down of the education system has the Church (with their help from the Christian Right) been able to simplify such a broad, over-arching piece of science and our understanding of the observed world into "Humans evolved from monkey's" (A misnomer in itself).

Evolution itself is an observed fact. Life on this planet has and continues to evolve over time. That is all the "Theory of Evolution" is.
edit on 19-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join