It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Appointing Space Ambassador Not True!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
UN Plan for Space Ambassador a Case of Science Fiction.

The Royal Society knew nothing about it. The United Nations referred all queries to the switchboard of Unoosa in Vienna...

...an email from Othman herself would have prompted our Martian to trudge back to his spaceship. "It sounds really cool but I have to deny it," she said of the story. She will be attending a conference next week, but she'll be talking about how the world deals with "near-Earth objects".

Othman is not becoming Space Ambassador.

Mazlan Othman had denied being appointed UN Ambassador to Space. The UN is not getting a “Alien Ambassador” with Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist, despite London news reports Sunday of Othman’s pending appointment.

Yet another example of how unreliable and incompetent the MSM has become. The story, which turned out to be false was widely reported in the media. FoxNews was the first place I heard the truth reported over the weekend.

I wonder how many who reported it wrong retracted? FoxNews is the only one I can find right now.

UN Denies (FoxNews)

Mazlan Othman, the head of the U.N.'s little-known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa), is set to describe her potential new role as chief alien ambassador next week at a scientific conference at the Royal Society's Kavli conference center in Buckinghamshire, England, reported London's Sunday Times. "Nonsense," responded the U.N.

"The mandate of the Office for Outer Space Affairs is defined by the United Nations General Assembly and there are no plans to change the current mandate," Jamshid Gaziyev, a spokesman for the agency, told FoxNews.com.

Amazing how fast the fake story spread across the world. Makes it clear how important it is to verify these stories.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
so if this was disinfo, what about all the other ufo related stuff thats been coming out lately

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Saw the earlier thread confirming this was real, but I guess it's debunked now.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Blaine91555.....

The thing that sticks in my mind is that right from the earliest claims on ATS pertaining to this "UN Alien Ambassador appointment", the correct information was on offer & in fact provided to members on many, many occasions.

Nevertheless, the frenzied responses were relentlessly continued.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The original source was the Sunday Times (UK) which took a statement she made out of context. They apparently ran two articles and the links to them now take you to an unrelated page and I can not find a retraction.

The others just took it from the Sunday Times and ran with it without checking it out.

Othman will be dealing with issues like near earth objects and other earthly concerns dealing with space.

"If Mars Attacks, She's our leader" and "Welcome to our Planet...enjoy your stay" are the two articles the Sunday Times ran. Now the links to the articles no longer work. I just tried a thorough search again and no retraction. Reminds me of the New York Times. Instead of admitting an error, they bury the original story and pretend it never happened. Hundred of articles were generated from the false story so I guess they are embarrassed.

I wonder how many will now never know the story is not true after seeing the fake story?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KilIuminati

I thought the stuff about the Vatican was interesting and it was true. All they were really saying though is that if life is found, even intelligent life, it does not change anything in regards to their Religion.

The stuff you have to be very careful about is from the Blogs and pseudo-News sites. Most stuff from major sources tends to be reliable. However they seldom have anything on this topic. Perhaps a couple of times a year.

Now it seems, if a normally reputable source reports something, the others don't bother to confirm. We were better off when news got to us slower I think.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

The more it gets posted, the more likely people are to get the truth about the story I guess. I know what you mean though. Many have blinders on, but that is true of both sides.

After doing all these searches, this story was reported almost everywhere and obviously they did not confirm. The first I heard about it being false was yesterday. I never read the thread on it here, I just saw it reported in a few places wrongly.

The truth came about from a email to the Guardian from Othman.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Jonathan Leake, science editor of the Sunday Times, often misquotes people and gets into trouble for it. He has prior for this kind of thing.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Dr. Othman said: 'I have to deny it'. That is not the same as saying it is untrue. The story might simply have leaked out too soon. If she'd been told that she would receive the supposed appointment, but was also asked not to speak of it until the time set for a formal announcement, she might well have felt it necessary to issue a denial to the Guardian. The Times article might have disturbed things enough to delay an announcement of this appointment at the Royal Society conference, if this was in the original plan. The odd business of her speaking again about Near Earth Objects, as she already had done there in January of this year could have been a last minute change. Ross
edit on 4-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: added additional material bearing on the discussion.

edit on 4-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: improved logic of 4th sentence.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

No, this woman made a statement and the story about her role was fabricated by the Sunday Times reporter. The Reporter assumed. Then the media from all over the world picked up on the story which was never vetted and then failed to confirm it themselves.

People wanting a thing to be true, does not make it so.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Ross 54

No, this woman made a statement and the story about her role was fabricated by the Sunday Times reporter. The Reporter assumed. Then the media from all over the world picked up on the story which was never vetted and then failed to confirm it themselves.
People wanting a thing to be true, does not make it so.

Oh yeah? Listen to her now

www.ufo-blogger.com...
edit on 16-10-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes. She says the story was false.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well maybe that is a good thing because if that was our representation we are DOOMED

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I don't see how it can be considered fake when indeed there is this a United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs and it must have someone heading it up.

United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs
www.oosa.unvienna.org...

The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) is the United Nations office responsible for promoting international cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
UNOOSA serves as the secretariat for the General Assembly's only committee dealing exclusively with international cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space: the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space

Through the United Nations Programme on Space Applications, UNOOSA conducts international workshops, training courses and pilot projects on topics that include remote sensing, satellite navigation, satellite meteorology, tele-education and basic space sciences for the benefit of developing nations.
It also maintains a 24-hour hotline as the United Nations focal point for satellite imagery requests during disasters and manages the United Nations Platform for Space-based Information for Disaster Management and Emergency Response (UN-SPIDER).
UNOOSA is the current secretariat of the International Committee on Global Navigation Satellite Systems (ICG).
UNOOSA also prepares and distributes reports, studies and publications on various fields of space science and technology applications and international space law.
Documents and reports are available in all official languages of the United Nations through this website. UNOOSA is located at the United Nations Office at Vienna, Austria.

Also pretty interesting
International Space Law
www.oosa.unvienna.org...
The Five Treaties
1. The Outer Space Treaty
2. The Rescue Agreement
3. The Liability Convention
4. The Registration Convention
5. The Moon Agreement

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

the part about the position being an ambassador to aliens is whats fake.

edit on 7-6-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

the part about the position being an ambassador to aliens is whats fake.

edit on 7-6-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

Well I think that was just a natural extension of what the position actually does entail.
In matters of space (to and fro) this is the reigning body. Our Galactic Federation, the final answer we can assume from the title and mission statement anyway. I was just watching a video put up in a link, by a respected poster named Page (here is the National Geographic Video) channel.nationalgeographic.com...
here in this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...
They do remark clearly early on, that theoretically at least,

If aliens were to land, protocol is to send them to this office of the UN.

That would indeed make who ever is in charge at this office/department "Outer Space Ambassador" even "Alien Czar" or any other random title like that which essentially means "our leader." So, it isn't fake. It's just a funny and different way to describe the position and refer to what they might do if the need should arise.
edit on 7-6-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

edit on June 7th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: fixed link

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

i dont see the video. Whats the title?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A good point, newcovenant; I've suspected that it was the sensational language used by the news media, and their implication that something new had occurred that caused the denials by the UN, UNOOSA, and Dr. Mazlan Othman, head of the latter. They, and she, could truthfully deny that she had been or was about to be appointed 'Earth's ambassador to extraterrestrials', there being no such official post or title. She could well be called upon to fulfill such a function, should the opportunity arise. This would depend on with whom visiting extraterrestrials wished to confer, but Dr. Othman might be a good choice from both their, and our, points of view. As the head of an international organization, squabbles about which nation should represent Earth would be avoided. ETs could avoid appearing to play favorites among Earth's nations. As you point out, Dr. Othman's position in the UN organization devoted to outer space affairs would make this a logical post. It might be considered desirable, in the face of immediate extraterrestrial contact, to allow her to fulfill this role at once, and avoid the delay and discussion involved in creating an 'ambassador to extraterrestrials' from scratch. Ross

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

i dont see the video. Whats the title?

Oh oK sorry. When you clink on the link there is a Nat Geo tab that says video.
It isn't you tube so I don't know another way to get at it. Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

If aliens were to land, protocol is to send them to this office of the UN.

no its not.

top topics

join