It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kbm12345

I have six pack abs after 3 months of altering my caloric intake and doing p90x. Lost 30 pounds and went from a Body Fat Index of nearly 32% down to 11%...

Tell me again about weight loss???

edit on 23-9-2010 by Prove_It_NOW because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Why do marathon runners, who train daily, still retain fat?

Good question! And I will tell you why! First of all look at Marathon runners and then look at sprinters! Which body would you prefer? In general sprinters do have lower fat to muscle ratios and this is the reason why marathon runners retain more fat, its simple! In a resting state muscle burns 3x more calories pound for pound!

As i stated in my first post on page 1, a HEAVY weight lifting routine is essential for fat loss! Something which marathon runners don't participate in! I am currently 13.5 stone and 20% fat, i know that if i run 4-5 hours weekly i will succeed in dropping weight but my muscle to fat ratio will stay at or around the same level, maybe drop to 18%. This is setting me up for a fall in the future!

If i add a HEAVY 3 day split to my regime, protein high and a small calorie deficit i know that i will lose weight, perhaps more slowly BUT my fat levels will be down to around 12% when i reach my weight goal, after that i will keto and get down to 10%!

Then maintaining this weight and ratio is simple, you don't even need to run another mile, well maybe twice a week. just keep up the weights

edit on 23-9-2010 by tommyb0y because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW
Go look at all the people at the gym doing 'cardio' hours a day and still fat. All the women at the YMCA who swim endless miles....still FAT. All the treadmill joggers and elliptical bike people.....STILL FAT.

Why? Because 'cardio' SUCKS for fat loss. Cardio is the most mythical way to lose weight and the most recent studies have proved it. Large muscle groups + reduced caloric intake = effective

That's because they aren't putting in the required intensity, of course cardio works for weight loss but you need to work hard enough, not swim at a leisurely pace or go on the treadmill for fun.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Prove_It_NOW

This is def true, CARDIO=NO FAT LOSS, The increase in Cortisol basically negates all benefits from hours doing cardio.

Why do you see, the same people year in year out doing hours on the treadmill, stairs, bike and there body has not changed. Hell i signed up at the gym last year after not going for 2 years, guess what? The same people are there doing cardio and there bodies are still the same, fat or skinny fat.

Heavy weightlifing is key to fat loss.

None of that bull# high rep toning crap--Which is myth 2 THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TONING. IT is either you lose fat or you gain muscles. You can not tone a muscle by doing high rep weights.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kbm12345

Go to leangains.com and read up on his research, it differs to what you say.. He is one of my favourite people to read in regards to nutirion and his personal change is nothing short of inspirational.

Aside from your 'guy' there is a lot of research that also shows the ACETATE Phenomenon when it comes to alcohol. My point was that the 'calories' in beer and such are NOT the arch enemy people have claimed. Prolonged and over drinking DOES change the body's metabolic rate. But not for the reason's people think. That's my whole point.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Go look at all the people at the gym doing 'cardio' hours a day and still fat. All the women at the YMCA who swim endless miles....still FAT. All the treadmill joggers and elliptical bike people.....STILL FAT.

Why? Because 'cardio' SUCKS for fat loss. Cardio is the most mythical way to lose weight and the most recent studies have proved it. Large muscle groups + reduced caloric intake = effective

That's because they aren't putting in the required intensity, of course cardio works for weight loss but you need to work hard enough, not swim at a leisurely pace or go on the treadmill for fun.

Long term cardio actually HARMS your body, harms your lung capacity, harms your overall wellness and AGES you faster.

Cardio SUCKS. I would NEVER tell someone to jog or do cardio for 'better health'.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Yep, no worries. I was just saying a few beers every so often maybe twice a week, is not going to really something to worry about. May be even beneficial in lowering stress hormones. But going out all night drinking, staying out all night, then eating late morning maccas is another story.

This is exaclty the reason i think alot of college kids especially women are overweight. Most girls in college do nothing but the above.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
An easy one step method to weight loss

1. Don't eat

That'll be $9.99, plus a 39 cent typing and editing fee.

Send funds thru PayPal to

Common [email protected]

edit on 23-9-2010 by rival because: because I had to get more Cheetos

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Compare a sprinters body to a long distance runner's body.

Two different styles of exercise.

Long distance runners look frail and bird like....Sprinters are lean and their muscle tone is better.

Which do you want to resemble?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Lots of interesting information coming out here. Also lots of bickering, pissing contest, and Egos. But what I really want is to hear from someone who was 100 lbs overweight for 10+ years and lost it all and kept it all off for a minimum of 7 years. Why?

Because they would know where I am coming from, what they are talking about and obviously how to do it.

So you don't fit into that category but still know the answers. I am sure you think you do and thanks for the advice

please don't be offended if I'm a little skeptical.

I too have lost my weight and kept it off ... for a time. I was an 'expert' who had the answers - after all I did it!

Lots of experience, body building, walking, diets, life style changes, no carbs, low fat, Atkins, HCG, vegan. Each one was the answer - for a while. Each one worked - for a while. I do know it is not as simple as so many would have you believe. Not all calories are created equal or have the same effect (Atkins proved that to me).

If the solution were a simple one there would not be so many diets, so many methods. If any of these methods really worked there would only be one method. Its not about will power (though many thin people like to think it is)

The question is not why are fat people fat but rather, why are thin people not fat?

I see many thin people who are never concerned about their diet (eat whatever) or exercise (get none) and they are of course not fat - Why?

Somewhere in the answer to this question is the solution to obesity.

PS - many thin people don't go to gyms, weight lift or watch what they eat. Yet they are thin - why?

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Long term cardio actually HARMS your body, harms your lung capacity, harms your overall wellness and AGES you faster.

Cardio SUCKS. I would NEVER tell someone to jog or do cardio for 'better health'.

I didn't mean jogging though, I'm talking about Interval Training, either running or on a bicycle.

Weight resistance training is brilliant but if you want to be healthy overall then you still need to include some form of cardio even if it's playing football twice a week for example.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

Bullshi$t again! What your trying to convey is people are naturally thin because of genetics. Stop making excuses. Fat people are fat on there own choice-laziness, unless they suffer from a medical condition.

link   

I get emails from Men's Health magazine daily. Their researchers are awesome when it comes to weight loss. I suggest for starters getting on their email list for free tips. The stuff is worth gold.

I changed my whole life and I look like a completely different person, and I now keep the weight off with ease.

I also know what foods to eat to boost my metabolism. For instance I'm going to go cook an omelet with three eggs, some salsa, and the KEY Avocado (MUFA food) on top. I'll do about 20 minutes of pushups and pull ups and boot camp routines, and my fat burning rate will be good for another couple days.

It's a lifestyle change which takes effort, but you have to create the habit. After that it just takes some simple maintenance.

link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
Thee question is not why are fat people fat but rather, why are thin people not fat?

I see many thin people who are never concerned about their diet (eat whatever) or exercise (get none) and they are of course not fat - Why?

Somewhere in the answer to this question is the solution to obesity.

PS - many thin people don't go to gyms, weight lift or watch what they eat. Yet they are thin - why?

It's called somatotypes.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by buddhistpunk
Show me your pics.What exaclty have you added to this thread apart from outstanding ignorance silly little goth.
Oh no thats right you stated that cancer causing processed breads and pastas are good for you.

I'm not the one proclaiming to be the muscle man mate.

Now bread and pasta cause cancer?

Seriously, your a joke. By the way it's exactly...

I've never been called a goth before

Attack the spelling because you have no clever or informed responce.
Hook line sinker.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Do you think people were fat 10,000 years ago, when people ate healthy and lived off the land? It is your lifestyle choice that makes you fat. Hours on the computer while eating mcdonalds and not exercsing.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Losers go jogging winners do HIIT

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhistpunk
Attack the spelling because you have no clever or informed responce.
Hook line sinker.

Responce? What's that?

If you want a competition mate then go ahead, ask me anything? I can guarantee that I know more about bodybuilding and nutrition than you do, now jog on.

link   

Originally posted by tommyb0y

I agree

link   

Originally posted by tommyb0y

YEP!