It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs With 15 Horns, 7-Foot Heads Are Discovered in Utah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Dinosaurs With 15 Horns, 7-Foot Heads Are Discovered in Utah

www.businessweek.com

Two new species of horned dinosaurs were discovered to have lived in Utah 76 million years ago when the U.S. state was part of an island continent.

One of the giant reptiles, dubbed the Utahceratops gettyi, had a 7-foot-long head. The other, called Kosmoceratops richardsoni, the most-ornate dinosaur ever unearthed, had 15 horns: 1 over the nose, 1 over each eye and at the tip of each cheekbone, and 10 across the back of its bony frill.

Skulls of the dinosaurs will be on display at the Ut
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b23cc8ec8fac.jpg[/atsimg]
That's a pretty crazy looking animal there, it's almost as if the horns are used like women wear pearl necklaces.

And apparently that's exactly what it was used for.

Dr Scott Sampson, from the Utah Museum of Natural History in the US, said: ''Kosmoceratops is one of the most amazing animals known, with a huge skull decorated with an assortment of bony bells and whistles.''

He thought it likely that horned dinosaurs such as Kosmoceratops used their impressive armaments to find mates rather than take on predators such as Tyrannosaurus rex.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I don't know I found this to be quite interesting for some reason, seems like the dinosaur environment is nothing like what we thought it was.

Maybe instead of being complete chaos it was more like The Love Boat.

There's so much more about our own planet that we don't know about yet.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Good find, I wouldn't want to run into something like that one night, or day for that matter. This is archealogy at its best, you are right who knows what is out there, my pearls don't look anything like that.

It seems this is a first, I haven't come across anything like this.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
It seems this is a first, I haven't come across anything like this.

Are you sure, you're only about 20hrs from Texas
See this:
picsdigger.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

That's alright, there are also lizards in Michigan but they don't look so scary, have not come across horned lizard's. I used to see them all the time where I was raised but they don't seem to like the suburbs where I'm at now.

www.michherp.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The island continent part is interesting. All the skeptics who think there aren't cycles and only conitnental drift is real,that argue that the world has only changed a bit in all this time. I wonder what major changes have occurred in the past 76 million years?

edit on 22-9-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
look at how birdlook the features are. very pretty animal. love it rockin' the lisa simpson hair-do

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If this dino live today and breed as livestock, would you eat it ?

Special menu today: 15horns kebabs! (The horns might get into some chinese medicine shop)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RainCloud
If this dino live today and breed as livestock, would you eat it ?

Special menu today: 15horns kebabs! (The horns might get into some chinese medicine shop)

In some foods gelatin is made out of horns and hooves, in other foods gelatin is made from the collagen inside animals.

At the end of the day what difference does it make, eating meat is nasty period whether it's this bodypart or that bodypart... point is... it's a bodypart!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Hi,

Many thanks for the post and link - seems Utah, Arizona and SE Colorado are real hotspots for this sort of discovery recently. Always find it amazing what diversity there was (and is).

(Mind you the link photo looked much like my ex after she had applied makeup).

Peace!

top topics

join