It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80 pilot whales stranded on New Zealand beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I looked, but I didn't see this anywhere

www.msnbc.msn.com...

80 pilot whales stranded on New Zealand beach

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - At least 40 out of 80 pilot whales that stranded themselves on a remote northern New Zealand beach have died, and more whales are joining them on land, officials said Wednesday.

It was the second mass beaching in the region in a month.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

That is terrible indeed!!

Recently here in SA there has also been alot of whale beachings lately. I wonder what is going on. Some local scientists suggest it might be because the water temperature is not right. Some more out there theories involve the magnetic poles of the earth which is throwing out the whales sense of direction.

Whatever the case it is a horrible sight to behold.

VVV

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

You would think with 80 of those whales being pilots at least one of them wouldn't have crash landed on that New Zealand beach. This is unreal. I'm glad you've brought this up as we clearly need to have better training for these whales.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Pauligirl,

Big quake coming??

Looking at USGS you would suspect something is on the horizon...

Buckle up.

Peace

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
#, again??

I live like 30 min south of there, I neeeed to join the Whale watch.....

Does anyone know what causes them to do that?

-Could it be the many earthquakes we have been having? Or the really bad storms? Are we over fishing our coast? (I study Environmental Science, i KNOW we are over fishing)...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I say it matches the massive fish deaths and those clam shells all over the beaches. The water is too toxic!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Didn't we learn this the hard way last year?

Whales beaching themselves does not equal earthquakes.

And as sad as this and all beachings are I couldn't help but think of this when I read the title:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Last stranding was August 22, 2010 and the New Zealand earthquake was September 3, 2010.

Some 125 pilot whales died in New Zealand after stranding on the beach over the weekend December 27, 2009

A pod of 101 pilot whales was stranded on the same beach in 2007.

Were there earthquakes in that area that go with the last two? There have been so many I can't keep track of when and where.

The original article says "New Zealand has one of the world's highest rates of whale strandings, mainly during their migrations to and from Antarctic waters, one of which begins around September."

So, i don't know if there is a relationship.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I see no reason to break with a beautiful tradition......

But since the sun is showing significant disturbance, the full moon is only one day away and people have been hearing high pitched sounds more and more lately, combined with the fact that USGS is dropping near 150, I am readu to state:

Magnitude 8.5
Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:18:57 UTC
Location 33.317°N, 116.500°W

Trust me, I know what I am doing......

Peace

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Looks like it was a bit early and smaller. Hope it stays that way/

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 3.5
Date-Time

* Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 07:18:57 UTC
* Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 12:18:57 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Depth 22.8 km (14.2 miles)
Region SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Chadwickus

But since the sun is showing significant disturbance, the full moon is only one day away and people have been hearing high pitched sounds more and more lately, combined with the fact that USGS is dropping near 150, I am readu to state:

Magnitude 8.5
Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:18:57 UTC

Trust me, I know what I am doing......

Interesting...
BUT, I really don't think earthquakes are part of the problem.
I noticed someone mentioned that it's their migration season right now, which would explain a bit...
However, how could they be thrown off track so much so that they end up right out of the water?

Perhaps they were fleeing from something in the ocean?
*cough* Oil disaster *cough*?

Either way, I'll be keeping track of this.

Just wanted to note the great amusement I got from reading the name "Patrick Whaley" in that article.

Hopefully I'm not the only one...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeSoCorny

You would think with 80 of those whales being pilots at least one of them wouldn't have crash landed on that New Zealand beach. This is unreal. I'm glad you've brought this up as we clearly need to have better training for these whales.

MeSoCorny are you trying to be funny or corny make up your mind, unless offcourse your trying to be funny and corny at the same time, in that case carry on...... Either way a pilot is only as good as his navigational senses/equipment....Unless these whales were looking to die then something scrambled there navigational senses. There training in navigating the oceans is top notch, millions to billons of years of hardcore training, the kind that only evolution can bring.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
the navy was causing this to happen with their experiments in the us some years back, but id say what has been happening in new zealand is electric and magnetic interference with their guidance systems due to earthquake related electrical releases.

either that or they're just dumb

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

MeSoCorny are you trying to be funny or corny make up your mind, unless offcourse your trying to be funny and corny at the same time, in that case carry on...... Either way a pilot is only as good as his navigational senses/equipment....Unless these whales were looking to die then something scrambled there navigational senses. There training in navigating the oceans is top notch, millions to billons of years of hardcore training, the kind that only evolution can bring.

I for one pride myself on the ability to be funny and corny at the same time. I know, I know...it's pretty impressive. But don't worry, there's no need for you to cow down and feel ashamed of my sheer awesomality. It's not easy to achieve. It takes years of hard work, training, and adult diapers to be able to do what I do. But I digress.

These whales have clearly been under-trained and I think it's pretty obvious that who ever their trainer was should be charged. All new whales who wish to become pilots should now have to enter mandatory classes which consist of video games involving flight. They should also submit to random drug screening. As you say, yes the whales can navigate the oceans exquisitely, but I tell you.....

They aren't captaining submarines, are they?

I know....let that sink in a little.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

"I for one pride myself on the ability to be funny and corny at the same time. I know, I know...it's pretty impressive. But don't worry, there's no need for you to cow down and feel ashamed of my sheer awesomality. It's not easy to achieve. It takes years of hard work, training, and adult diapers to be able to do what I do. But I digress."

I got to admit you are pretty corny, and somewhat funny....you must practice more to achieve a higher level of cornyness that's indistinguishable from funnyness.

"These whales have clearly been under-trained and I think it's pretty obvious that who ever their trainer was should be charged. All new whales who wish to become pilots should now have to enter mandatory classes which consist of video games involving flight. They should also submit to random drug screening. As you say, yes the whales can navigate the oceans exquisitely, but I tell you..... They aren't captaining submarines, are they? I know....let that sink in a little."

Ya you got a point they need to go back to school to learn to better navigate........To bad schools dont take whale dollars so they can further educate themselves in how to better navigate.
...... ohh I just made a corny joke...I guess I am learning the art of being corny, I quess the next step is to do it in adult diapers, so that way I dont have an accident on myself, when I make these corny jokes..........nah just kidding your pretty funny, for a corny person.

top topics

join