It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Barring Food Makers from Advertising Products as GMO-Free

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Someone may remember a few years back that Monsanto was suing small farmers whose property abutted theirs. The GMO seeds were drifting onto their property and Monsanto wanted them to pay them for a percentage of their crops, not sure what became of that. Monsanto is evil personified.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
the only time i look at the ingredients list is to make sure the product is 100% whole wheat.
what types of GMO foods should I be looking at to avoid and how do i know its GMO?

darn , the FDA should let companies put whatever they want on their labels as long as its true.
I mean, they say they wont allow it cause it will make GMO foods look bad, well how about when sugar/fat free foods(cookies,cakes) came out and they were labeled with the intent to make the regular foods look bad and fattening,fda didnt do anything about that.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Someone may remember a few years back that Monsanto was suing small farmers whose property abutted theirs. The GMO seeds were drifting onto their property and Monsanto wanted them to pay them for a percentage of their crops, not sure what became of that. Monsanto is evil personified.
Yes

I think much of this problem with monsanto can be seen in the movie Food Inc.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
if you just found a way to educate your average everyday not too bright quick to throw a fit angry over trivial things brainwashed joe, then we would have taken the first step in our battle against this abomination on nature. i say write your message on money, write it on an overpass, write it on a government building for all i care just get it out there. if people were more aware there would be more of a fuss, if this stuff was known to the average american then it would eventually appear on the news and then everyone would be in a big nasty uproar over this crap. good luck.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I find it amazing how blatantly bad the FDA is, yet they are still considered the authority on food safety and health. Seriously, I don't think they are even trying to hide it anymore.
I bet we'll be able to audit the feds before the FDA will even be looked into... and I don't think we'll be auditing the feds anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Yes please check out this thread of mine:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check the video out, you will see a very sad story told by a farmer, he even received phone threats from Monstanto Scumbag agents who used to park right in front of his farmhouse and follow him.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is really shocking.
I don't live in the states and here in my country you often see very visible "GMO Free" labelling. But when the US sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold. If the US manages to make GM labelling a non-issue then, for example, everyone that exports to the US is free to consider using GM products. The knock on effect will be a terrible thing world-wide.

A good while ago I became conscientised about rBST in milk. At that time there was only one major brand of super-market milk that advertised that is was guaranteed rBST free. It was much more expensive but I always bought it. Even if it meant going out of my way to find it. Now, a couple of years later, it is the exception NOT to find "guaranteed rBST free" on a carton of milk. The point is, labelling DOES make a huge difference. It makes people think. It opens them up to choice. It is VITAL that producers must be able to make the GMO Free claim.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I went to monsanto.com and I see that they are indeed, evil. Look how they refuse to answer a question they are often asked:
www.monsanto.com...
I hate it when issues are just sidestepped by the evildoers. It shows little respect for those who support them. Yes, boycott them, fight them tooth and nail.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Monsanto has lost in this battle. Watch documentary David vs. Monsanto
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I went to monsanto.com and I see that they are indeed, evil. Look how they refuse to answer a question they are often asked:
www.monsanto.com...
I hate it when issues are just sidestepped by the evildoers. It shows little respect for those who support them. Yes, boycott them, fight them tooth and nail.

They have the FDA on their side. If one fights the government they fight the people on jury who support our government and is impossible to make them see whats going on behind their backs. And also, isn't it unconstitutional to be on the side of the companies that pay them as conflict of interest? How do they get away with this...
This just makes me sick.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well. Let's see, given that Obama's Food Safety czar Michael Taylor previously worked for GMO-leader Monsanto, and Obama's FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg is both an expert in bird flu and bioterrorism, is a trustee of Rockefeller University, is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and has a dad who was a leader in military psy-ops and sits on the board of Rockefeller University...

...I can see no reason to be weary of their decisions.

More here: forum.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by christinaV

Corn and corn by-products, soy and soy by-products, cottonseed oil and canola. Those are the four major GMO products grown in the USA currently.

preventdisease.com...

www.newswithviews.com...

www.saynotogmos.org...

www.nongmoshoppingguide.com...

Please people- when are we all going to stop talking and start DOING? These people need to be removed by any means necessary. Simply growing our own food is not going to end it. I don't know what to do or how to do it but it has to end somehow. All of it- pharm, monsanto, all this insanity.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Screw the bent FDA!

Hound the bastards day and night, camp out on their doorsteps day and night! That will get the news involved and the public will know what a corrupt, evil lot of money grabbing gits they really are!

If i was the food company in question, i'd take them to court. Experts will testify an living organism includes fruit and vegetable plants.

Failing that, i'd write on my labels, in DOUBLE sized lettering, 'NO GENETICALLY MODIFIED INGREDIENTS'..they wouldn't be using the 'GMO' moniker then would they!

Jesus on a bike! It's one thing after another with these..people, isn't it!

Talk about taking the frog in a slowly heating pan of water approach..drip, drip, drip.

Any of you starting to feel a little...warm yet? Don't know about you lot, but i think when the water starts getting warm, it's time to jump out of the pan, before we're boiled!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think many of your are already mislead by the titles "Non-GMO" and "GMO-Free", and don't realize that you are backing false perceptions.

Where exactly do we draw the line on Genetically Modified Organisms?

Artificial selection induced by human's cultivation of plants would be considered genetic modification in my eyes, as we are selectively hybridizing and growing strains of plants that have the best traits, which are expressions of GENES. By breaking the process of natural selection and imposing our own order, we have genetically modified said plants, and the same could be said about much livestock and poultry.

How then can you label something like this as "GMO-Free", when in fact the organisms contained within the packaging are genetically modified, and have been for thousands of years?

Some of you may say I'm playing semantics, and I'm certainly playing the devil's advocate here, but I believe there is a lot of obfuscation surrounding this topic.

I would think that going into the DNA molecular structure of an organism and modifying it's genes directly is a very extreme measure, but couldn't it be hypothesized that the same results could be achieved through (once again) artificial selection and hybridization? So then how is the end product any different, if it can be achieved through multiple methods? Is it because there IS a difference in the end product? Or is it because of your own skewed perceptions?

I recently watched a Penn and Teller's Bull# episode on Organic foods. Now I don't instantly believe everything I see on that show, as good of skeptics as they are. But it was interesting to note that despite all the fervor surrounding the organic food movement, where people pay PREMIUM $$$ for food they say is better tasting and healthier for you, in a double-blind taste test the organic food aficionados couldn't tell the difference between organic and non-organic foods. Once again, is it just false perceptions that lead to a placebo effect?

I hope that everyone took the time to carefully read my post, and I look forward to the ensuing discussion.

NEXUS

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NoEXcUseS

Can a cat tell the difference between antifreeze and sugar water?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zoodie

Bearing in mind, these boards are routinely monitored...we have to organize if we don't want our kids to suffer from this mindless greed.

This has to stop.

Forced, useless and dangerous vaccinations, or at least, a refusal brings heavy penalties and hardship.

Fluoridated water supplies, fluoride in bottled water too.

Genetically modified and potentially dangerous crap masquerading and sold as food, that they now want to hide.

70% of the country's population (60% in the UK) being prescribed 'anti-depressant' pharmaceuticals, even very young children.

Health and food supplements, vitamins and minerals, even medicinal herbs being banned across the world.

The list goes one and on.

I do NOT advocate violence, of ANY kind.

Although i doubt writing to your MP or member of congress will do any good...so what's left?

Any leader types around? Any, sensible, level headed, leader types around?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well as long as they don't attack the organic label....then I'm good. But it seems then that things are very black and white. GMO-Free does not mean it's organic, but people would buy a non-organic GMO-Free product over something that has GMO. Perhaps they're okay with missing out on the organic slice of the consumer pie, but if GMO-Free spreads to non-organic food....they'd lose all marketshare.

Plus, it's easier to keep "organic" hidden from consumers since it's a niche. But if you start having all the different labeling than people would probably end up switching to organic food faster.

They did a study on organic apples and there is a definite difference in blind taste tests showing organic apples taste better. Organic food is actually not that expensive...a box of mac and cheese is like $1.50 -$2.00 and its one meal verses a huge bag of potatoes for about $4 that lasts a week. Processed food is more expensive than organic in a lot of cases.

edit on 21-9-2010 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

It's not about how a food tastes, it's about whether or not the chemicals and pesticides it's grown with will harm you or not.

That's the difference with organic versus chemically farmed produce.

Hybridization is fine, as long as it's a traditional inter-species hybrid. Crossing one variety of corn with another variety to increase it's yield or size would be fine. IT's the way farmers have been operating for thousands of years.

Things start getting dicey when you're splicing or hybridizing animal genes with plant genes, or creating plants or animals with other completely unnatural traits that have unpredictable consequences for the health of both the consumer and the natural flora of our planet.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I wouldn't believe ANYTHING Penn & Teller say, beyond how to create a successful stage act. They're bigger performers than most people will ever know.

Organic food has nothing to do with taste and everything to do with avoiding toxic pesticides and herbicides, along with the nutrients that are created by organic vs. chemical fertilizers.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Corn injected with genes from a bacteria that produces a toxin is much different than naturally crossbreeding two strains of corn, or apples ect. That should be fairly obvious.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join