It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.9 a few minutes ago 15 miles from Anchorage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I pulled up to my home just as it ended. My Wife tells me it was a large jerk followed by a rolling feeling that lasted a few seconds. Epicenter is about 18 miles from my home.

At first it was a 4.9, then lowered to a 4.8 and right now is back up to a 4.9.

Just enough to be interesting but no chance of damage.

USGS page.
Map showing location.

edit on 9/20/2010 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It's been reviewed and the depth was 42km which explains why it did not feel stronger. Most earthquakes here feel like riding in a boat.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This one did feel pretty strong to me but yeah it was pretty soft and then like 3 or 4 seconds later a strong jerk happened. lasted I think 5-10 seconds maybe. I was taking a nap before going into class later today. When it happened I figured it would be around a 5.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

As I understand it the ground here is pretty fluid, hence the rolling motion. We're sitting on top of big pile of Glacial Till.

I was driving so I got the report second hand from my Wife. I pulled up to my door just as it stopped I guess.

I was passing through the San Fernando area in a Greyhound in 1971 when a big quake hit. The bus driver announced we were in the middle of a large quake and we started seeing facades and signs in the road as we headed towards the bus Station In Los Angeles. It just felt like the bus was on a really rough road. I think about 60 people died in that one. The Greyhound just picked up passengers and kept going.

The quakes I remember in the Los Angeles area were more jerky than the ones we have here. I even got thrown off a couch onto a floor in one that was only a 4. One big jolt and it was over. Others sounded like marbles rolling on the roof.

edit on 9/20/2010 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/20/2010 by Blaine91555 because: Old keyboard with an operator to dumb to go buy a new one

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What you're saying kinda molds with another thread about a big sunspot to do some damage in 48 hours or something. I don't know, could just be a coincidence.

edit on 9/20/10 by ohsnaptruth because: spelling

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

As I understand it the ground here is pretty fluid, hence the rolling motion. We're sitting on top of big pile of Glacial Till.

yeah I think there are like 3 huge lakes or something, I took geology last semester and my teacher said that was why the 64 quake did so much damage. It was the water under anchorage that really did the damage. I guess there are some areas in town that you can't get earthquake insurance.

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
What you're saying kinda molds with another thread about a big sunspot to do some damage in 48 hours or something. I don't know, could just be a coincidence.

probably a coincidence cause I dont think there was even minor damage.

edit on 20-9-2010 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

About 8 years ago they had a link to a hazard map on the Municipality web site. They took it down shortly after. One map showed which areas posed the greatest risk. There is probably still a way to connect to it, but I'm not sure where it is on that site now since they changed it.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth

There is no connection between what your talking about and the earthquakes. We are in an area where earthquakes happen often. Were on the edge of the Pacific Plate, surrounded by active volcanoes.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It was the Huntington Beach cyberquake that got lost.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
had another one at like 4:30 am a 5.6,

new topics

top topics

join