It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Bowling for Columbine"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I was curious if anyone here has seen the movie.

If you have, what are your opinions on the following:

- James Nichols, brother of the infamous Terry, and his beliefs about government.

- Michael Moore's "success" at getting KMart to stop selling handgun ammunition.

- The unanswered question about why there are so many gun deaths in the US...multiples of other countries.

- The blame put on modern music, such as Marilyn Manson for influencing kids to commit violence.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 16 2003 @ 03:36 AM
link   
do you know if they plan on releasing it on video or DVD????? And when???? Thanks

posted on Mar, 16 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I can oly give my view two items. The high gun deaths and the modern music one.

With the gun deaths its pretty simple, the USA has less gun laws than other naitons and it is easier to get a gun than say Spain.

With modern music. I blame it on creating more violent and abusive kids. Marylin Manson should be shot. His crap that he puts out is so sicking and violent its no wonder why he has'nt killde anyone yet. But not many kids listen to Manson (Thank God!). More kids listen to rap. Eminem is a prime example of creating more angry kids. Eminem's music should be banned from the airways and his albums should be restricted from stores nation wide. Why? The music he puts out is garbage.

Because of him children as young as 9 are calling other children "bitches and 'hos". Why? Its the music they listen to! Eminem's message in his music is simple. He's saying he hates his mom he wants to kill her, which I might add he does graphicly in his songs. He saying he hates his wife she's a 'ho. He sings about rape and killing homosexuals at kinife point. Any more infoor if you disgree please U2U me with you response.

arc

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I finally got to see this film last night, and I'm not sure whether I was more worried or angry by the end of it. The thing that hit me most was the 'climate of fear' idea put across as one of the reasons for increasing gun ownership, even though statistically crime was on the decrease. The comparisons with Canada were startling - same gun ownership, kids with same musical tastes, similar ethnic groups and yet a fraction of the murders.

Easy to see who makes the money out of fear - the greater the fear, the greater the consumption. I pity you folks...

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Michael Moore's "success" at getting KMart to stop selling handgun ammunition. -

I think it's great that they could accomplish something like this, it's not an easy task and have to give credit where credit is due.

'- The blame put on modern music, such as Marilyn Manson for influencing kids to commit violence. '

He makes a good point in the movie. The Columbine kids were bowling the morning of the shootings, so why isnt anyone blaming bowling? You should listen to MM's response he gives when asked about it, it's very resectable.

All in all I enjoyed the documentary. I found it odd as well the comparison between Canada and the US. I spent many of my summers in Canada, and have to say there arent as many gun laws there as there are in the states. Whether you're for guns, or against guns, whatever you are, watch the movie first and then critique it. It's worth the two hours.

AF1

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The blame of music and video games on violence is sheer ignorance. I've listened to all the "devil" music and I've played all the violent video games. Have you ever seen what people in Japan watch or play. Anime is some of the most violent stuff I've ever seen, they even have little girls getting raped but it's perfectly fine since it is a cartoon. I remember a while back reading articles saying that some company's won't release games stateside because of their fear of how the public will handle it.

Using music as an excuse is just a scapegoat for society. Society has been blaming problems on musicians since The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc etc etc. Marilyn Manson is a shock artist, he is just like eminem in the fact that he likes to raise controversy. They both exceed because people buy into their facade. Frankly, it's a personal choice of what you listen to or watch or play, but in no way should I be told what to do as far as that goes.

[sarcasm]
Now excuse me I'm gonna go slit some throats while listening to some Slipknot.
[/sarcasm]

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Though I hate Moore with his made up statistics, 1/2 truths, and lies - I do want to see it.

Here's an interesting page I came across if anyone has a minute:
www.hardylaw.net...

[Edited on 7-4-2003 by Bob88]

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   
One of the greater injustices done to me...

My neck of the woods doesn't believe in putting out unmainstream movies. So I am waiting for the release of that movie and Spirited Away (4-15...I'm so excited about it.)

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I love the movie, I've seen it twice.

First, I love Nichols in the movie, it is so funny to watch him spaz out when moore mentions the oklahoma city bombing.

Jedi, Manson makes a good point in the movie. Why does everyone blame him? On the morning of the shooting, Clinton dropped the most bombs on Serbia, during the whole war. Now who is the bigger role model for the kids, Manson or the President.

Third, I think that it is fear that causes all of the gun deaths. Fear, which leads to anger.

I reccomend this movie again to all those who havent seen it.

XAOS

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I've been wanting to see the movie, but I cant find anywhere even close to me that is showing it. I'm surprised because I live in a very busy area right between Philadelphia and Atlantic City, I hope it comes around soon. I read alot about it and watched some of the clips on the movie's website. Anyone know if they plan on releasing it on DVD?

www.bowlingforcolumbine.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
PA,

It's out on DVD on the 22nd of april, $27.99us.
I was looking for it earlier too.

www.dvddebate.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Michael Moore's "success" at getting KMart to stop selling handgun ammunition. Posted by Rhaboni

First of all, KMart is on the verge of bankruptcy and dissolution. Second of all, I find it far more cost effective to obtain my ammunition in case lots from internet suppliers.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Thanks Kegs ! At that price, I might check out BlockBuster, I'm not cheap but I rarely watch a movie twice so I usually just rent.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I can oly give my view two items. The high gun deaths and the modern music one.

With the gun deaths its pretty simple, the USA has less gun laws than other naitons and it is easier to get a gun than say Spain.

With modern music. I blame it on creating more violent and abusive kids. Marylin Manson should be shot. His crap that he puts out is so sicking and violent its no wonder why he has'nt killde anyone yet. But not many kids listen to Manson (Thank God!). More kids listen to rap. Eminem is a prime example of creating more angry kids. Eminem's music should be banned from the airways and his albums should be restricted from stores nation wide. Why? The music he puts out is garbage.

Because of him children as young as 9 are calling other children "bitches and 'hos". Why? Its the music they listen to! Eminem's message in his music is simple. He's saying he hates his mom he wants to kill her, which I might add he does graphicly in his songs. He saying he hates his wife she's a 'ho. He sings about rape and killing homosexuals at kinife point. Any more infoor if you disgree please U2U me with you response.

Your saying that violence is wrong and it is wrong when people shoot others? "Marilyn Manson should be shot"

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   

With modern music. I blame it on creating more violent and abusive kids. Marylin Manson should be shot.

oh the irony of this.

i had quite the chuckle reading this. thank you for making my day.

"this music today makes people too violent, shoot the performers!!!"

lmao

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Most intelligent comments in Bowling For Columbine: Marilyn Manson.

Least intelligent comments in Bowling For Columbine: Charlton Heston, Michael Moore (tie).

Least intelligent comments about Bowling For Columbine in the above posts: Obvious.

Revelation: Number of people in Canada sleeping with doors unlocked.

The doco was a little too over-edited and contrived. While I have little postive regard for the NRA, the way the film made it appear that NRA had deliberately targeted recent teenage shooting spots for their upcoming rallies, was intentionally misleading and I don't approve of that.

It is the same kind of selective and fraudulent intelligence gathering applied every day by the Bush administration. If Michael Moore was using this technique to demonstrate that point, he did it very well.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I find it odd that people think that American's sleep with the doors locked because we have Guns.

Well excuse us...but we didn't have our doors locked 100 years ago, and we had just as many guns then....we're not about to give up our right to secure Freedom, just because a bunch of gangs want to shoot eachother.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
I find it far more cost effective to obtain my ammunition in case lots from internet suppliers.

amen DR. you can save at least 50% ordering by the case online. so for you antigun scum that means i can kill twice as many people for the same price.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Aegis, I think an AK-47 would look better in Lady Liberty's hand than a hand-gun

Ash

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Most intelligent comments in Bowling For Columbine: Marilyn Manson.

Least intelligent comments in Bowling For Columbine: Charlton Heston, Michael Moore (tie).

Least intelligent comments about Bowling For Columbine in the above posts: Obvious.

Revelation: Number of people in Canada sleeping with doors unlocked.

The doco was a little too over-edited and contrived. While I have little postive regard for the NRA, the way the film made it appear that NRA had deliberately targeted recent teenage shooting spots for their upcoming rallies, was intentionally misleading and I don't approve of that.

It is the same kind of selective and fraudulent intelligence gathering applied every day by the Bush administration. If Michael Moore was using this technique to demonstrate that point, he did it very well.

Well said.

As for James Nichols spot, the guy is a friggin lunatic.

As for violent music and video games, it's ironic the amount of parents who have little or nothing to do with thier kids, untill they do something of this magnitude. You then suddenly find them proclaiming it was these forms of entertainment that brought their children to the point of killing.

If you have ever read any interview or even watched an interview with Marilyn Manson you would realize that this guy is amazingly intelligent and well spoken. Both he and other musicians who are protested against are getting exactly the type of exposure they want. And getting Hundreds more kids that will
What will we next blame on music? Bush's hunt for the elusive WMD's?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join