It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas' bid for $830 million federal school aid is denied

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Article

AUSTIN -- The U.S. Education Department has rejected Texas' application for $830 million in federal aid, which many school districts were counting on to salvage jobs and avoid potential layoffs.

Gov. Rick Perry called on the federal agency to "find legally appropriate ways" to deliver the money to Texas school districts this year or to set aside the funds so Texas can apply again next year, after lawmakers write the next biennial budget.

The federal aid is part of a $10 billion jobs package approved by Congress in August. Under a Texas-only provision by Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin, the governor must commit to keep education funding at the same proportionate level for three years to receive the aid.

Federal officials say the aid package could help fund an estimated 14,500 jobs in Texas as school districts consider staff reductions amid shrinking budgets.

No child left behind....children are our future.......well maybe not right now I guess.

I guess education really isnt on the top of our priorities anymore. Its just $830 million, but I guess thats too much money these days......

If im reading the article correctly (sleepy), congress already approved $10 billion in a jobs package. Plus, the governer must keep "funding at the same proportionate level for three years to receive the aid." Then the article says this -

Texas Education Commissioner Robert Scott and an emissary for Perry met with federal officials late last month in an attempt to bypass the conditions and get the money. But the Education Department notified Scott in a letter released Thursday that granting the aid "would not be consistent with the statutory requirements."

The Education Department then said that they are "prepared to release the money to Texas if it gets a request that conforms with the Texas-only provision." Im not really sure what that means.

I think that means that the Education Department dosent really think the governer is going to be able to keep funding about the same for three years. I dont really know what to think about this.

Just thought I would share this. I dont really know what to think about this, but I would like yalls ideas on this.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
It means they want the Republic of Texas to heel to their masters. Perry has turned down federal education money in the past because he didn't like the strings associated with the money. Now they are playing hardball with them and exacting some retribution.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
BWAHAHA! good! Texas as with many other states (cough, California) should come off the Federal tit anyways. This way the States wont be dependent on the Fed and the States might actually get their rights back by exercising them routinely. Thus doing away with the Fed regulation and its tyrannical stranglehold.

Its sad because more jobs will be lost but at what cost does it take to keep them? More under the table deals and lost liberties? No pain No gain I always say...

edit on 10-9-2010 by AzoriaCorp because: added more to comment

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I would like to see the list of things that Texas is required to do in order to get the federal aid money. I would guess one of the things on the list would be something like a credit card loan. Get the money, and pay it back over the years with interest attached.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Perry's main objections were related to testing and curriculum I believe. He didn't want the Federal government taking complete control. See here. www.usatoday.com...

You can be sure the hardball the government is throwing now is related to his previous comments

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DondeEsta?

Hmmm. I do like how Perry dosent want the Feds coming in and taking over the education system of Texas. But then again, im not a big fan of recent Texas education boards decisions......considering they're taking Jefferson out of history.......I like Perry's idea, but I dont like some things Texas education is doing either.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

top topics

join