It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Rome, or America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
There are many similarities between Rome and America. For starters, Rome went from being a monarchy, to a republic, and eventually turned into an empire. America was formed by people fleeing the British monarchs, we formed a republic, and we have been turned into an empire (although ours is much more covert). There are many, many, striking similarities, so I'll name a few and hopefully we can build a list of things that we share with Rome. We have a senate, a group of wealthy powerful people who govern. We have a balance of power between separate branches of government (in theory). In ancient Rome they actually had two leaders, or consuls, who governed and also led the armies of Rome. However, they struggled against the generals for power, and later the generals got fed up and took over. We still see the same things happening today in Latin America. So the founders of the U.S. decided to place the power of the executive branch in the hands of one person who would also control the military.

Rome was also the birthplace (as far as I can find) of false flag terrorism.
For perspective, Romes official forms of government were as follows:
750BC-500BC Monarchy (ruled by 7 kings)
500BC-30BC Republic
30BC-End Empire

In 70 BC Rome was still a Republic, which placed very strict limits on what Rulers could do, and more importantly NOT do. But Crassus had no intentions of enduring such limits to his personal power, and contrived a plan.

Crassus seized upon the slave revolt led by Spartacus in order to strike terror into the hearts of Rome, whose garrison Spartacus had already defeated in battle. But Spartacus had no intention of marching on Rome itself, a move he knew to be suicidal. Spartacus and his band wanted nothing to do with the Roman empire and had planned from the start merely to loot enough money from their former owners in the Italian countryside to hire a mercenary fleet in which to sail to freedom.
Sailing away was the last thing Crassus wanted Spartacus to do. He needed a convenient enemy with which to terrorize Rome itself for his personal political gain. So Crassus bribed the mercenary fleet to sail without Spartacus, then positioned two Roman legions in such a way that Spartacus had no choice but to march on Rome.

Terrified of the impending arrival of the much-feared army of gladiators, Rome declared Crassus Praetor. Crassus then crushed Spartacus' army and even though Pompey took the credit, Crassus was elected Consul of Rome the following year.
With this maneuver, the Romans surrendered their Republican form of government. Soon would follow the first Triumvirate, consisting of Crassus, Pompeii, and Julius Caesar, followed by the reign of the god-like Emperors of Rome.

The Romans were hoaxed into surrendering their Republic, and accepting the rule of Emperors.

Article
Our founders knew the history of Rome very well. The bankers and leaders of our country also knew it. In 1916, the US mint actually released a dime that was a mirror image of the Roman Denarius. Did they release this as a nod to those in the know that they were going to devalue the currency?

Here is an extraordinarily brief history of the denarius:

Although Rome didn’t actually have paper money, it provided one of the first examples of true debasement of a currency. The denarius, Rome’s coinage of the time, was, essentially, pure silver at the beginning of the first century A.D. By A.D. 54, Emperor Nero had entered the scene, and the denarius was approximately 94% silver. By around A.D.100, the denarius’ silver content was down to 85%.

Emperors that succeeded Nero liked the idea of devaluing their currency in order to pay the bills and increase their own wealth. By 218, the denarius was down to 43% silver, and in 244, Emperor Philip the Arab had the silver content dropped to 0.05%. Around the time of Rome’s collapse, the denarius contained only 0.02% silver and virtually nobody accepted it as a medium of exchange or a store of value.

Article
The value of the US dollar has already gone down a lot. Near 95% since the creation of the federal reserve. What came after the collapse of the Denarius? The complete collapse of Roman Empire as an overt force. Many other things originated in Rome that are still very relevant today
Divide and Conquer (Control Tactic)
Bread and Circuses (Distraction, Spectacle)
Catholic Christianity (Won't get to into that here...)
However we are ruled by an elite, the official governments power is slowly going away, although they do still have huge power.
Discuss, or add other parallels. (I'm looking at you, Proto)

edit on 9-9-2010 by time91 because: accidentally created thread early

edit on 9-9-2010 by time91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2010 by time91 because: photos of coins for comparison

Lug

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This is Sparta!!!!!

Rome?
Rome is in Italy.

This is a-MER-ica
The Land of Kings and Queens.
This is Atlantis!
They say we sailed on ships?
We come from The Sea!!!
Merfolk!
Merovingians are WE!

America is The Holy Land, and it is being hijacked by Corporate Terrorists that have ties to The Vatican. Right now, The Queen of England is under the belief that she owns us, but it's really The Pope. I think there was a thread about this with a really good video.

Here's the thread: The USA is still owned by the crown
Here's the video from that thread:

Pretty informative, mind blowing even **warning** there is some Language in it.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
No, its not Rome yet. And Im sure your speaking figuratively for all the smart arses out there.

Rome did fall for the same reasons that America is sinking fast.

Devaluation of currency

undermining religious values and moral ethics

Social programs such as welfare

And the similarities go on and on. History truly repeats itself. Irony is a tasteless b!tch...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
We are not Rome. All of the Roman game shows were religious in nature.
From the Olympics where the sweat was scraped off the Athelets into
bowls as their sacred offering to the gods, to the Gladiator exhibitions
which started as a show at funerals to reenact the departed's greater deeds.

None of Americas' game shows are religious in nature. Not _ even _ one _ .

We are not Rome.
We have never been Rome.
We are not going to become Rome.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

It is true that state and religion were mixed very well back then. The earliest senators of Rome were actually priests of ancient mystery religions. The priests of Rome also controlled who became king as much as the people in the monarchy phase of Rome's history. So I have just one question for you...
What about EVERYTHING ELSE???
Respectfully,
time91

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91
What about EVERYTHING ELSE???
Respectfully,
time91

Everything else is a by product of what-one-is-doing.
The entire Roman system was built for, on, and about gods.
When Rome fell, this is what was lost. Nothing, no matter how
technically similar, is going to have the same effect for us, or the same
consequences for us if-it-ends as it did for the Romans. The Empire of Rome
didn't meerly collapse, their god died. In America if a pop icon dies, record sales go up.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Umm,

Looked at the TV any time in the past decade or three.

It screams Coliseum to me.

Rome 2.0

We have even hired the Huns (Black Water & others) to watch our back.

magpie

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by minefield magpie
Umm,
It screams Coliseum to me.
magpie

I agree.
But the phrase Bread-and-circuses has zero
religious connotation these days. It is not
seen as the communal bonding with the
genius of the teams mascot spirit.
Vikings fans don't actually go to
the games to commune with
Thor. I think the Media has
spread the idea that we are Rome
because the sense of access to ancient
sin and wickedness sells seats. No one is
slaughtered in America just for a Video casting.
And even when the guy seems to be intentionally
trying to kill himself, somehow he hits the other side of
the grand canyon with his rocket bike, but he lives to talk about it.

David Grouchy

edit on 9-9-2010 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2010 by davidgrouchy because: spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

While religion did play a major role, I think you are slightly over stating its importance. I get what you are saying, but I would say that in every other way we are similar to Rome. Even though the basis of our belief system is a mixture of self worship, and odd patriotism, and occasionally a proud belief in god.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by time91

While religion did play a major role, I think you are slightly over stating its importance. I get what you are saying, but I would say that in every other way we are similar to Rome. Even though the basis of our belief system is a mixture of self worship, and odd patriotism, and occasionally a proud belief in god.

I can agree with that.
Persia is also very similar
to America on that level, and
I wonder if we did a comparison
side by side which one we would more
resemble, Rome or the Persian Empire.
From my own humble research I feel confident
saying that we are not Rome, we might be Persian,
but not Roman, if we set aside all religious differences.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
OP, you will find many similarities between the Roman Empire and America. The are both based on the same form of government. A Republic. America is NOT a Democracy. It is a Republic. Always has been since its inception.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

That is very true. Rome was also, at one time, a republic. Although it was different than ours in specific government operating procedures, it was based on similar ideas we adopted and adapted (such as separation of power) . They did not place as high a value on freedom, however, as our founders did. They were more state focused, and admittedly, believed strongly in the will of the gods. They also had a similar manifest destiny idea, although theirs was less defined compared to ours.
But the most important principle for this country is freedom. I was disturbed when out of 30 or so of my peers only FIVE picked freedom as the most important principle for America. It shows how ignorant, deluded, and misinformed we are.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Another thing that's interesting to look into is the correlations between meaningful numbers in Roman history and the bible. I know numerology is a shall we say sketchy subject because if there are enough numbers involved everything is correlated, but I think the bible may contain pieces of important information about Rome. For instance, they used the number 33 for certain things, and it seems like a rather arbitrary number to pick. But it is also the age at which jesus was crucified, as well as the number of degrees in the scottish rite of freemasonry.
There are other numbers, but they are more general...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
this is Rome ,for sure politically, culturally , economically what we have here is Rome the Empire not the city

when Rome ceased to be a central government it 's power and system of rule traditions and etc went to two separate empires and the Roman Catholic church the central seat of Authority continued west first becoming Charlemagne's Empire then the British Empire, all you have to do to find the line of succession is follow the state architecture since the supposed fall of the Empire down through history and that is your trail of the Roman Empire. Currently it is The British Empire based in British Columbia USA

soon It will be in Bejing they are next eventually I guess it will have circumnavigated the globe and end up back in Rome Italy

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Great thread O.P., have you by any chance read the below linked thread, indeed all roads to lead to Rome.

All Roads Lead To Rome

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Yes we continue to live in Rome. The near total majority of us simply being free range economic slaves. The most enslaved person is the one of course who imagines they are free. This is the illusion by which Rome rules.

Rome is all around us. It’s on our money, it controls our money. Its edifices dominate our halls of government. Monuments to it literally surround us everywhere. It’s in our religion, written by and put forward Rome. In fact it’s everywhere about us. The only thing that keeps the vast majority of us from seeing it is that illusionary word that they have provided us. Freedom, the freedom to obey hundreds of thousands of laws that regulate almost every aspect of our existence, freedom to believe we are free, as we do, by telling us over and over again how lucky we are, to be this kind of free, how fortunate we are, because we fought for it, and we determine it.

Yet nothing could be further from the truth. Our representative republic is no democracy at all. We simply get to vote on a preselected slate of candidates, who then once elected do two things. One is make laws that are dictated to them by the most powerful corporations, owned by the Patrician Elite, who use mid level lackeys called lobbyists to function as bagmen and to deliver those orders to the law makers. Two the Chief Executive appoints at his discretion the individuals who will head and run the various important departments of government, that from that lofty perch, make sure that the manipulations and the crimes of the Patrician Elite are never uncovered and never prosecuted.

Rome never died, it simply became to difficult to rule over a population that where almost entirely slaves, so the slaves were given that illusion of freedom, freedom to primarily submit to the edicts and ways of the One True God, Rome came to define the very concepts of. Freedom to submit to the Kings and Queens who would rule by the Grace of that God, by the Grace of Rome that defined the notion of that God, freedom to submit to the laws of the land, the nation, One Nation Under God.

With the help of a small yet brilliant tribe of money lenders and mercenaries we have come to know as the Jews, Rome has worked hand in hand with their elite, to define that concept of One God to make it appear that it was not a Roman invention at all.

By granting the people the illusion of freedom to further define this notion of God, and to found and incorporate one state after another, one nation after another, it has tricked the people to not just divide themselves, but to fight one another and compete with one another, to race around the Globe wiping out the people who existed before that did not share that concept of that One God, to colonize the world on Rome’s behalf, setting up common systems of Law, Commerce, Banking, and Religion, and Rules for the Warfare, that the people would follow in a never ending quest for just one dominant notion of nation, notion of God, notion of law, to violently incorporate all the rest.

To create a world and war so violent, so harsh, that one day the people would utterly surrender to concepts of freedom, nation and individuality for the security of a totalitarian one world government under Rome. A world were a God who talks of nothing but war, and prophecies of death, and destruction, where the ‘chosen’ are righteous and all others a danger becomes a God of Love. Because Rome says this is a Loving God there fore he must be. A world where are told freedom is the privilege to surrender the lion’s share of your income back to the State and what portion left for you, to buy or lease a spot on the planet where you might live and play during those all to brief moments when you aren’t laboring to pay the State. A State that claims to use what you surrender back to it, to provide you services which in fact are quite limited, a State that claims that most important service is Security, Security that can only be obtained by running a constant war machine to ensure there is no such thing as freedom anywhere, save the freedom to follow Roman Law. A world where preemptive war is the path to peace, a world where anyone who has different customs, or preys differently is a threat, a threat in a world where 24/7/365 handsome and beautiful people tell us through constant broadcasts called news programs, who is a threat, who is wrong, who is right, what is right, what is wrong, over and over again, while telling us over and over again how free we are, to agree with and obey and abide by all these things. They use an endless series of coined words to convince of these things, people fighting for freedom in their own lands against Rome’s military are insurgents, people who disagree with Roman law, are domestic terrorists, that Patriots give up their freedoms for security in things like the Patriot Act, that the corporation Homeland Security is ours even though it does not share it’s profit. This is our freedom, to abide by these hundreds of thousands of rules, or pay a fine, or be incarcerated for daring to be different or challenge Roman Laws and Rule. This is our freedom to labor 80% of working hours to have the privilege to obtain a small portion of the resources of the earth, that the earth produces, yet Rome hordes. Hordes while billions who do work, or want to work, live in squalor and poverty, stressed to make it through another day and obtain a meal, or a safe warm place to sleep and live.

Yes my friends, as you read the Treaties, and not the History Books, but the Treaties that establish a chain of custody, that legally found the nations and end the wars, you realize one very important thing that the History Books do not tell us, that no high official will tell us, that Rome never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, went out of business.

We live in Rome, we have always lived in Rome, and we shall always live in Rome, as long as people will accept the illusion of words like freedom, absolution, nation, God, religion, money, law, and morality as all are defined by Rome.

All Roads Lead to Rome they always have and they always will, lest we wake up, and admit to ourselves the horrible nature of our true reality. In a world of polar opposites, up, and down, black and white, left and right, if we are not in Heaven, and surely we are not, then the only other place we could possibly be is HELL.

Better known to a few of us as Rome!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You sir are very dangerous because you can think! Better watch out when you step out your door or Rome will get you!

You made my day!!

As for the question "is America Rome?", that has many answers. I will just try some parallels, the decision is in the eye of the beholder.

1. Rome was expansionist as a society and enslaved others for their own gain.
2. Rome had no real respect for human life, not even its own citizens.
3. Rome was governed by largely corrupt individuals who'd stop at nothing to gain more power.
4. Rome regarded its will as universal law.
5. Panem et circenses (bread and shows) was the base of controlling the population.
6. Each citizen had to spend much of their adult lives serving the state as soldiers.
7. When emperors didn't do as expected, they were killed and replaced by those that would.
8. Many Gods were worshiped, the number of which increased over time.
9. On special occasions, state sanctioned religious persecutions were carried out.
10. The only way to be free of Rome was to kill its soldiers (Teutoberg forrest, Parthia), the more the better.

Now let's try some point by point parallels (correct me if I am wrong as I am not so well versed in things American, I am not an American myself (TG))
1. Under whose authority and control (and i mean CONTROL) are Iraq and Afghanistan today? What about the Philippines a few decades back?
2. Three Mile Island, ring any bells? If we believe many of the theories around, what about the WTC? The Vietnam war perhaps? I won't even get into the total disrespect towards life that is not human...excuse me, American!
3. Any former presidents rigging the election process to get elected/reelected? No? Are you sure? What about smear campaings? Assassination attempts (or successful assassinations) of presidents/presidential candidates?
4. Ever witnessed any cases of blackmailing the whole world to assume (better: to submit to) the same political stance as the US? "Either with us or against us", ring any bells?
5. How many TV channels does the average Joe in America receive? Not counting cable. What is the program of said TV channels mainly consisting of?
6. Each citizen that has some income must surrender a large portion to the state. At least military service is not mandatory unless in state of war.
7. I believe Lincoln and JFK died of natural causes and so did RFK, no?
8. How many televangelists reach the public every day? What do they preach? Any among them that lives in poverty?
9. Try and persuade the ones imprisoned in Guantanamo that the War on Terror is not really a war on Islam. Go ahead, try! While you are at it, explain that Martin Luther King Jr was a terrible criminal that deserved to die to those that followed him and his teaching.
10. When did the US pull out of Somalia and why? Out of Vietnam? Why there exists a North Korea? A theocratic Iran?

These are off the top of my head (too late in the night and, frankly, too lazy to research this further). If I went astray on some it is because of my limited knowledge of certain things. If however I didn't go astray by much, then I can only answer the OP's question only one way:

I am sorry but YES, you ARE Rome!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Thank you all for your replies. I'm incredibly busy and want to do them justice so give me a chance to digest all this information and make a meaningful reply, thanks. Don't leave this thread early, I'm not going too.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by time91

Just as a side note id say Sparta dabbled in a great deal of false flag terrorism. Sparta was A BAD PLACE, i understand the movie made Sparta all #s and giggles, but it was basicaly the ultimate mind bendering police state that controled a largely slave population with frightning violence. Nazi germany would be a fairly good comparison to Sparta, and as much respect as i have for Sparta in there stubborness towards the corrupt shambles that was Athens i really cant stress this enough what a frightning nightmare world the Lacedaemonian states actualy were.

A good place to start into false flags and a secret police, though no doubt empires before them carried out such activities, just not perhaps with the ruthless efficiency of the Spartan war machine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join