It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Perfect Moment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A Perfect Moment

I sit today in my garden and begin a meditation. Nestled into a small clearing completely surrounded by honeysuckles, I begin the unwinding. Adjusting my posture, I fix my sight forward, then let my eyes begin to unfocus. I commence to a deeper breathing, in and out slowly, using a 7 count each way. A butterfly dances within my gaze, and hummingbirds hover over the suckles, their flight paths like elegant streamers, leaving an afterprint of enchantment.
I close my eyes....

The monkey mind now fully awakened, but I have learned to quell the rampant thoughts. My other senses of smell, sound and touch become heightened, and gratefully entangled within the surroundings. The wind moving through the trees, through my hair and over my skin, sooth my presence. The scent of Nicodemus blossoms and honeysuckle absorb me fully within this moment. Sunshine suffuses through my cells and the warmth
is that of welcoming, bringing forth a lazy smile.
Now an attempt for the void...

As time passes and the stillness settles in, the garden comes to life.
Beyond relaxed, I have become one with the ground, sky, waters and wind.
Stillness within and without, awakens in slow motion, seeming to move gracefully in an upward spiral. Everything is vibrating and I can hear and feel it resonate through me. Is it affecting me or am I affecting it?

Suddenly, like an abrupt breeze carried in a chorus of feathered buzzing, several Hummingbirds fly in at once, coming to a simultaneous stationary hover, their wings buzzing fortissimo. They are so close, I can feel the rapid pulses of air from their wings. A chill runs up my spine as I open my eyes to see 5 hummingbirds feeding less than 2 ft away. Time stands still and elation rushes through my veins as I become one with these wondrous creatures, right here right now. The literal vibrations from them tickled my soul and made me laugh inside....it was a perfect moment.
Gratitude swells within and pushes a tear to my eye ~

I am recharged again...

speculativeoptimist

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Beautiful Imagery! Thanks for sharing this. As I read it, I imagined that it was being spoken by poet David Whyte.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing SO,

It almost sounds as if you have done that before in real life

as previously stated the imagery was wonderfully done, thanks again for the enjoyable read

~meathead

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by coder

Thank you coder! I am glad I could take you to that moment....

spec

reply to post by Mike Stivic

Hey meathead! Thank you friend for the comment and it was an actual experience. Usually the meditation ends up wrapped within void and quietness, however this one occasion was a contrasting session, where the void transformed into an interactive moment of clarity and gratitude, which in turn brought poetic thoughts to mind I wanted to retain by writing down, and share for other's to feel.

spec

edit on 9-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: modification

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have just started regular mediation i'm happy to hear about good experiences

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by getinout?

May your experience bring you peaceful, insightful solace. Thanks for the comment and I too am happy to hear of your endeavor.

spec

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Any pointers for meditation. Such as time? place? goal?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Beautiful poetry, awesome images.

I'm a noob to writing, but seem to learn something every time I take the time to really read a story.

Your story slowed me down too, and that doesn't happen too often.

JR

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by getinout?

Any pointers for meditation. Such as time? place? goal?

As far as time, I prefer mornings for 30 - 45 minutes, but sometimes I will meditate in the evenings as well.

Places include outside in my garden and in my living room. I am not flexible enough to utilize traditional lotus position so I use Japanese style sitting, which is more like kneeling with my feet underneath me atop a pillow for comfort. I keep my back straight and join my hands together and rest them above my Dantien, a little spot 2-3 inches above my navel where there are a concentration of blood vessels. I begin a breathing count of 7 in and 7 out, which put's me in a more relaxed state.

Sometimes I use music, but it is instrumental instead of lyrical and is non repetitive as well. Some of it is considered new age I guess, but it is more of an atmosphere created by the music than it's meaning. Other times I do not use music.

Goal, well to each their own on this one, for there are many styles of meditation and various goals including relaxation, enlightenment, mindfulness and transcendence. My goal is the unique opportunity to attain a temporary emptying of mental activity, allowing thoughts to unfold undisturbed to the point of dissipation.

The "monkey mind" is a Buddhist phrase representing the hyperactivity of random thoughts which meditation allow one to observe happening. Our brain is always running and to me it makes sense to give it a wakeful rest at times, kind of like a defragmenting. I feel a relief when emptying the mind, and though it takes practice, once achieved it provides a unique source of strength and self control, including my emotions.

Might I suggest doing an ATS search on the subject, for there is much written on the experience and here are a couple of sites describing various styles of meditation.
www.yogapoint.com...
www.abc-of-yoga.com...

spec

reply to post by JR MacBeth

Thank you for the comment JR and I wish you the best in your writing endeavors.

I am glad the poem slowed you for a moment, for I believe it is in this calmness, great strength can be obtained.

spec

edit on 12-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: addition

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Much thanks for the first hand suggestions. I'm currently reading a chakra meditation book and making some progress there. Thank you for the links as well i am very interested in exploring different types of mediation.

out

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by coder

Thanks for the David Whyte reference, I had not heard of him and after looking him up I really dig his works, art, prose and poems.

Peace

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I relived this moment today, and it was healing...
The garden is a glorious sanctuary, providing wonder and grace.

new topics

top topics

join